The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I should've been more clear, I bought a 2016 one and was wondering if anyone agreed with my observations!

If I was purely feeling the fabric and deciding which one I liked better, I would definitely choose the older versions. On the other hand, like ooms mentioned, the newer fabric is actually a lot better for my climate.

If anyone is familiar with the new TD shirts, it feels like that.

The fabric on the THC has not changed this year. Last year they did make the neck hole slightly bigger for a less tight fit.

The Flat Head confirmed with me there has been no change and our recent arrival "The Flat Head Way" is the same fabric as previous years.

Yeah, the roping on those are awesome!

Honestly though, I'm still not 100% convinced about them not changing something about the process. It just seems so much different from my old T shirts, I'm not how that could just be due to age. Also, the fact that ooms and yow agree with me...

I'm so stoked that I was able to get this shirt, I've been wanting it for literally years now. I took out the darts (it's a WR), and hot washed and dried it. It's still a little longer and roomier than I'm used to, but I think it's a pretty ideal fit!

WyaYRjw.jpg

2bz2Z9c.jpg

Nice shirt Ben. But honestly, IMHO, the fit looks odd - wide in the shoulders and body and short in the arms. Maybe it's just the way you're standing. 

No, it's a goofy fit for sure. This is a very loose fitting shirt. For shoulders, I own enough flat head shirts that I really do not care about that anymore, I find shoulders that are too small to look a lot worse, and they're definitely uncomfortable.

Lucky for me, I like the extra room and prefer shorter sleeves!

Appreciate the comments.

My F380 after 143 wears and 7 washes (including the shrink wash). Happy with how they're coming along, lower legs are still dark and hairy but higher friction areas like upper thighs and ass are really coming alive with streakiness. Yoke and back pockets are developing nicely, too. I love the character of the denim. 

o2HO223l.jpg

7osAlJAl.jpg

Pwlvlvbl.jpg

uoFOXASl.jpg

XmGgRi6l.jpg

w4rkagEl.jpg

Loved the article kyle!

I often think about what's different between people like us on this forum, and the average consumer, when it comes to why we care so much about the little things. For me, I get a huge enjoyment out of owning things that I feel have an intrinsic beauty and a real feeling in your hand. I've come to realize that for some reason, even if people may appreciate and purchase quality things, completely shit clothing has become the norm and no one seems to realize or care.

The way I see it, you're always told to do your best when you're a kid, and to strive for excellence. I like to surround myself with people who are doing the best, like Flat Head, appreciate the best that the world has to offer. I think it makes a lot of sense with clothes, especially when you consider ethical manufacturing and the importance of appearances in first impressions.

Great shirt Ben. Where exactly did you buy it?

Thanks man. I preordered this bad boy from 2nd like 5 months ago, and it just came. From what I could understand from their poorly-translated emails, the machines were causing some problems.

@itsbenhere I'm loving the yellowish mixed into the weave. Reminds me of the wool sweaters you copped a few weeks ago. 

Funny you say that, I thought the exact same thing when I looked at it, and was just as happy upon that realization as when I had it with the sweaters!

Well guys, here's something different: I decided to start writing some in-depth pieces, halfway between review and editorial, about some of my favorite garments, and I thought I'd write about my green Flat Head flannel that I've had for about five years. Check it out.

This actually got me thinking.  I'm normally not a sentimental person.  My mom gives me boxes of stuff from my childhood and I either throw the stuff away or just shove it in a closet and don't give it a second thought.  But some of my clothes I do have a bit of sentimental attachment to them.

My Nudie Slim Jims.  My second pair of selvage raw denim.  The pair of jeans I was wearing when I met my wife.  The jeans I was wearing when I proposed to my wife.  The jeans I wore for our engagement shoot.  They're far and away my best fitting jeans but they're now pretty scrappy and have patches of Samuri denim glued onto them just so they don't completely unravel.  I could never bring myself to get rid of them, though.  They now mean way too much to me.

My Canada Goose bomber.  When I first bought this I got it because the reviews raved it would basically kick winter in the balls.  And it does.  It was far and away the most expensive item I ever purchased.  I think I got it for a bit over $400 at the time -- which feels like insignificant chump change for much of my other wardrobe items now.  This was before I even wore raw denim.  This is when I was in the kick of "expensive = good" for clothes.  So I was head to toe in 7FAM, JBrand and all the other "designer" stuff you'd buy at any Saks or Nordstrom.  But then I got my Canada Goose.  Possibly my first ever garment that was expensive not because of name brand (back then it wasn't nearly as big as it is today) but because it used the best materials they could find and constructed with care.  It completely changed my mind.  I started to research more clothes made in the first world and eventually I found out about raw denim.  I'll probably never get rid of the jacket simply because it is far too functional for Ohio winters but it also represents a turning point where I stopped taking items at face value of if they're expensive it has got to be good.  Now I did more research and learned why some things are more expensive and why some things are expensive just for the sake of costing more.

I don't really have any attachment to any of my TFH items.  I got into TFH maybe only a few years ago when I first bought my first HNW-52W heavy western flannel.  I now own 3 of those, a wabash, 2 sweats, 3 tshirts, that horsehide bag Kyle sold me and I'm sure some stuff I'm forgetting.  Now I just like TFH because I prefer the aesthetic and it fits me well but I was already pretty deep in Japanese repro before getting into the brand.

I tried on a Flat Head 7002W at the corlection store a week or two ago. The cut they had there fit me nearly perfectly in size 44, the shop guys there said that it is a newer cut that has a longer body and slimmer body. Anyone heard anything about this being true? 

I managed to score a near new one on yahoo.jp in size 44 for a bargain of a price so I'm hoping that the fit is pretty much the same in the shoulders/chest/arms 

EDIT: It appears that the corlection shirt is actually not labelled as a 7002W...it is some sort of shirt/jacket western hybrid. The measurements look slightly bigger on the corlection page...might have a size 44 7002W to sell to someone here if i fucked up too badly....

Edited by karanimal