The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Hm, not exactly my cup of tea.  I'd like to own a classic Type III from FH but am scared of the huge shoulders.

Heh it would be odd to see you in Iron Heart head to toe but a TFH Type3 since Iron Heart is so well known for their denim jackets

Don't worry about the shoulders max, they're fine. I too was scared of the large shoulders on mine but it's no larger than thei t shirts, shirts, etc. however, I would worry about the length. I'm sure it'll be a short jacket and iron heart shirts are pretty long, or at least a lot longer than the Flat Head aesthetic. The jacket could look silly with a huge iron heart shirt tail hanging out.

I think that jacket looks great C! Probably the only time I've seen hand warmer pockets that looked not out of place on a denim jacket. I'm guessing you'd want a 40. They also make a WR version if you want to go that route, I'm not sure if that jacket runs really small like the new stuff or just normal small like all flat head stuff.

I really dig that 6009 jacket. I love my IH type III, but I'm honestly a little over the type III styling. The chest pockets are so small they're useless - why bother even having them? The hand warmer pockets and corresponding interior pockets are one of the best things about it. I'm not that into the pleats on a type I & II either. I like this jacket because it's unique and simple and doesn't come across as contrived. 

My issue is my Type3 is just more functional.  I use it as one of my actual fall jackets so I'd never be able to give up the jacket being lined nor the hand pockets.  IMO this Type2 with the hand pockets looks just as busy as a Type3 but without the classic styling of a Type3.  The draw of a Type2 to me is how clean it looks since they generally lack slash pockets.

Am I alone in thinking that jacket looks terrible? Second ugly denim jacket in a row from TFH. Their THC shirts are also getting overdone with logos. Dunno what's going on over at TFH...

I'd have to agree - something about the stitching/colors/pockets that makes it look a little weird.  Maybe not "terrible", but definitely not high on the list of denim jackets i'd like to own.

Am I alone in thinking that jacket looks terrible? Second ugly denim jacket in a row from TFH. Their THC shirts are also getting overdone with logos. Dunno what's going on over at TFH...

Kind of agree on the jacket, something is off about it to me too...

I think for me it's the combination of the large pockets up top and the semi circle stitching that goes from the hem around the belly/pockets and back down.
I guess I just prefer more traditional takes on denim jackets, I'd kill for the old school type II from TFH in a size 46.

It feels like they're really deviating from the original type II design which almost never works out. I think combining the angled pockets with pockets on the sides with a ton of yellow stitching makes it just way too weird. It's also kind of weird to see six buttons on denim jackets when I usually only see 4 or 5.

While I do like the jacket overall, looking at it further there are some things I find odd;

this goes for nearly any type I - II where there's a horizontal chest seam and then a large pocket below the seam. To me those large pockets below the chest seam always seem too low. And with the curved seam above the hand warmer pockets the lowness of the chest pockets is exaggerated. 

The asymmetry of the chest pockets & flaps makes it too busy. 

as said above, the curved seam at the hand warmer pockets is a little too much. 

But, that said, I still like it. I'd like to see some fits pics and bigger, higher resolution pics. 

Ben, I could tell right off that it's a take on a Wrangler jacket, definitely not a Levi's type II.

Comparing the two, it's obvious that the horizontal chest seam on TFH jacket is far too low, which is made worse by the fact that the chest pockets sit below it, rather than sewn in like on the Wrangler. The chest pockets on TFH are too long as well. Makes for an odd look IMO.

Edited by Iron Horse

^^ 14.5oz pioneer denim, hand warmer pockets, what more do you need to know?!

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-6009w/

yesyes, and as ben pointed out, I'd like to know if this one runs small or large, take a 40 or a 42? stuff like that :-)

but it seems there is not much info out there (yet?).

Y'all are crazy. To me, as far as denim jackets with side pockets go, this is the best option.

I agree, you're all nuts! :D :D ;)

edit: though RGT is doing some nice wrangler-esque jackets, they just have nothing like the pioneer denim!

Edited by Blue Nemo

Honestly C, if I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and go for the 40 (or 40WR?) because I really don't think it'll be popular among circles that you will actually be able to ask for fit advice. Also, unfortunately, it seems like Flat Head stuff sells out extremely fast :(

In other news, a shirt I ordered 6 months ago (!) has finally arrived at my house. Can't wait to check it out in a few days, hope it fits!

^going for a 40 without knowing how it fits - my budget says 'no'...

but I got news as good as yours, our long await TFH delivery will arrive thursday (gawdihopeso) and then I'll get my 3005 bwaha

So awesome!

Every single day I think about how much I love my pair. It's so damn comfortable and the blues are just gorgeous... It's sad that it's taken me almost 5 years to get even one pair of jeans that I feel that way about, but it's a damned good feeling now that I have it.

I do really like my TFH jeans though probably not more than my PBJs or TSGs.  They're all on that "top tier" level.  Below it would be my Momos, my IH and a slew of others I'm forgetting.  I don't think I've ever bought a pair and just gone "these are terrible."

With that said I'm probably going to buy those TSG collabs when they come out if the fit/fabric interests me.

can't speak for 2016, but i got one from 2015. it's definitely lighter, i wouldn't say smoother. in some ways you can feel more texture on the fabric, but it is much less stiff. actually more practical for asian climate, but sometimes kinda miss the tank-like ridiculous heaviness of the old thc.

Does anyone have experience with Flat Head's 2016 THC tees? Seems like they changed the fabric and made it lighter and smoother.

I have the old 2013 run two black one grey and one white, and just bought one of the newer ones. Way less thick and kinda dissapointed really, probably going to try Strike Gold see if those are any better. Tried on the Lady whites and those are pretty comfortable if you are looking for a more casual weight T, or if the neck hole is your main concern Ben then go THC its still the tightest out of any other T I have tried i.e. Stevenson, Whites, Real McC, Barnes, etc.