The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Like Toyfactory I need some sizing help, I'm looking to get a pair of 3002s but I'm worried about the waist. I need somewhere around a 33" waist so I should be looking at a size 34, right? This throws me off a bit because I wear a size 30 or 31 in all of my other raw denim and I'm a bit worried about having too much extra room in the thigh. Does a size 34 seem odd when I wear a 30 in Rogue Terratory STs to you guys? Does anybody have post soak measurements for a 34 3002?

Like Toyfactory I need some sizing help, I'm looking to get a pair of 3002s but I'm worried about the waist. I need somewhere around a 33" waist so I should be looking at a size 34, right? This throws me off a bit because I wear a size 30 or 31 in all of my other raw denim and I'm a bit worried about having too much extra room in the thigh. Does a size 34 seem odd when I wear a 30 in Rogue Terratory STs to you guys? Does anybody have post soak measurements for a 34 3002?

Vincent, since you say "around a 33" waist" consider the 33w. The 3002 waist measurements are TTS raw.

The denim, being from the Pioneer series, will lose about an inch and a half after multiple soaks/washes but will stretch out up to an inch. So you'd end up with 32.5" with a 33w and 33.5" with a 34w. The thigh measurements raw are 12.2" and 12.4" respectively and will shed half an inch after a couple of soaks and not stretch out in that area much at all.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

Thanks, guys!

I own the 36 3002 and wear a 32 in Stanton's. I needed a 34" waist and wish I has gone true to size with a 34 instead of the 36 because the waist stretched. You should be good with the above recommendation.

Got them in the mail today, gave them a warm machine rinse on low spin speed, once they dry ill do a cold machine soak and hopefully thatll get all the shrinkage out. so far so good! ill post post-wash measurements once theyre done

update:

as per a few requests, here are the post soak measurements for 3009, size 34, big style

raw --> 1 machine soak --> 2 machine soaks

waist: 16-->16 -->15.5

thigh: 13--> 12.75 --> 12.5

knee: 9.75 -->9 --> 9

hem : 8.5 --> 8 --> 8

rise: 11--> 10.5 --> 10.5

so expect to lose .5" throughout the leg and rise. a quick  note on the waist, post soak was 16", but while they were still damp i was able to stretch them to 17" without much pressure, so it is possible to get tts on the waist, even after soaking.

oh and i can put my hands in the pockets lol

My pair of size 34 measured TTS, did you get yours hemmed? I got an 8.25" hem with a inseam shortened to 32".

Great jeans but I thought the thighs could be a touch wider.

My pair of size 34 measured TTS, did you get yours hemmed? I got an 8.25" hem with a inseam shortened to 32".

Great jeans but I thought the thighs could be a touch wider.

Yea but those measurements are pre-hem

edit- my inseam is 31", and my hem is 8", so you might have some more shrinkage in them fyi.

Edited by jmfr

• 2 weeks later...

Kyle I'm not sure how familiar you are with Strike Gold jeans but I am looking for a similar fit to the 1109 in Flat Heads. I wear a 32 in the 1109s and it is just a hair on the large side, was wondering if I'd be the same size in Flat Head. I'm also curious about how the fabric compares. Thanks!

Kyle I'm not sure how familiar you are with Strike Gold jeans but I am looking for a similar fit to the 1109 in Flat Heads. I wear a 32 in the 1109s and it is just a hair on the large side, was wondering if I'd be the same size in Flat Head. I'm also curious about how the fabric compares. Thanks!

I'm not Kyle but my personal experience has been this. I wear a 36 in the 3002 and a 34 in the 1109 my 1109 are a tad tighter but it's really minor. The fit is pretty similar with a slightly smaller leg opening on the 1109

Fabric comparison the flat heads are much smoother in comparison to the 1009. Also, my flat heads had a darker starting color than the strike golds

I'm not Kyle but my personal experience has been this. I wear a 36 in the 3002 and a 34 in the 1109 my 1109 are a tad tighter but it's really minor. The fit is pretty similar with a slightly smaller leg opening on the 1109

Fabric comparison the flat heads are much smoother in comparison to the 1009. Also, my flat heads had a darker starting color than the strike golds

Awesome. Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

I would have thought that the 3001 / F310 cut is the closest comparable cut to PBJ 005. That is, low-ish rise, slim through the thigh with a straight leg and little taper below the knee. Flat Head's pioneer denim will not stretch like PBJ denim does so keep that in mind when sizing the waist and thighs.

Yup. A sizing/comparison question.

Been eyeing the F380 since I'm liking the measurements and I'm wondering if it's close PBJ's XX-005 post wash. Went TTS 30 on the 005 and it's been good to me. Any help would be appreciated.

[/

The 3001 would be the closest fit. The F380 is much straighter.

There is more shrinkage in the 3001as well as less stretch as SM above says (all 3xxx denim) so you would probably size up one from the X005.

You can compare size charts here

http://rivetandhide.com/brands/pure-blue-japan/pure-blue-japan-x005-jean.html

http://rivetandhide.com/brands/the-flat-head/3001.html

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

Oh dang really? Though I am aiming for something that's a bit of a fuller cut.

Are your measurements post-wash or raw, Rivet and Hide? I was going off of BIG's and SE's measurements. 

If the thigh on the F310s is 11.1 on a size 29 (which stretches to the waist I need it to), then the .4-.5 shrinkage might be a little too much for me. While the F380's thigh with shrinkage taken into account seems to fit what I have in mind more. 

I have a question regarding the 3002s. I recently tried on the 34" on the 3002s, and they fit perfect, exactly how i would like them to fit (slim on thighs and taper below knee). But it is presoak... I'm scared that after soaking i can no longer fit into them. Should i get a 36 or stick with the 34 and hope it wont shrink as much?

I have a question regarding the 3002s. I recently tried on the 34" on the 3002s, and they fit perfect, exactly how i would like them to fit (slim on thighs and taper below knee). But it is presoak... I'm scared that after soaking i can no longer fit into them. Should i get a 36 or stick with the 34 and hope it wont shrink as much?

I have the 36 and the waist shrunk 2" but stretches easy. The entire leg shrunk .5" and the inseam shrunk 3"

IIRC the shrunken 36 is very similar to presoak 34