The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Just got myself a pair of FH1001. Here's my fit straight after the intial soak. The inseam has shrunk alot more than I expected! I hemed it to a 31' . I'm only 170 with short legs :( What do you guys think? Is there anyway I can stretch out the length abit more? or am I screwed :S ?

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1469.jpg

I hung them up after trying to stretch them out while it was damp, and boy were they TIGHT. Although I managed to button it up but my athletic thighs are still pretty tight, i'm hoping it'll be more comfortable after a few wears...

only soaked them in cold water, I'm currently staying in an apartment without a tub so had to get creative and use the wash hand basin haha.

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1461.jpg

So the length is okay? I guess I won't be cuffing these too much then, unlike my eternal 811s below...

Shelf%2028%20139.jpg

Well, once you put them in the washing machine you will get a lot more shrinkage all over. you might be fucked

NOOOOOOOooooooooo. damn it, alright I'll probably have to try stretch it out alot more after I wash it then, thanks for the info! Appreciate it 

the 16 oz fabric doesn't shrink as much as the more popular 14.5 oz fabric. i'm pretty certain that you will only see negligible shrinkage in subsequent washes.

the jeans fit great by the way and you can always stretch the inseam back out (approx. another inch) after dipping the jeans in cold water for a few minutes. kyle will probably have more detailed info. 

the 16 oz fabric doesn't shrink as much as the more popular 14.5 oz fabric. i'm pretty certain that you will only see negligible shrinkage in subsequent washes.

the jeans fit great by the way and you can always stretch the inseam back out (approx. another inch) after dipping the jeans in cold water for a few minutes. kyle will probably have more detailed info. 

Thanks for the insight, that's a relief to hear. will keep you guys updated on this pair, i'm pretty excited to start wearing this one in. my last pair of eternals were a bit too big for me, whereas this one was bought TTS at size 30. 

Thanks for the insight, that's a relief to hear. will keep you guys updated on this pair, i'm pretty excited to start wearing this one in. my last pair of eternals were a bit too big for me, whereas this one was bought TTS at size 30. 

flat heads are annoying to fade because they are dyed so deep. i've worn my current pair since the new year and washed/soaked them 6 times but they still appear really dark.  otherwise, i think you'll love everything about your 1001's. good luck. 

Edited by rosarkar

flat heads are annoying to fade because they are dyed so deep. i've worn my current pair since the new year and washed/soaked them 6 times but they still appear really dark.  otherwise, i think you'll love everything about your 1001's. good luck. 

Times like this I wish I don't have an office job as an architectural graduate. 

NOOOOOOOooooooooo. damn it, alright I'll probably have to try stretch it out alot more after I wash it then, thanks for the info! Appreciate it 

Or you can simply never wash them like Ruedi does. Just downgrade them gradually for dirtier work.

Well, once you put them in the washing machine you will get a lot more shrinkage all over. you might be fucked

Agreed. I had 2 machine washes before I wore them to get the shrink out. 3" lost on the inseam and 2 in the waist.

My se05bsp had so much shrinkage still left in them after the second wash, by the time I washed them again they shrank to the point I couldn't wear em. I did gain some weight, but was really blown away at how much shrinkage was still left.

Depending on the width of the hem you can undo the hem and use separate fabric for a facing on the inside - this way you can gain .5-1".

In most cases you'll have to make do with lock stitch instead of a chain stitch as the folders of the vintage machines won't be able to process these seams...

Your jeans are not too short or too tight.

They are just fine. Stop freaking out about your jeans and just wear them

you're right, I'm probably just freaking out for the long run, after the wash. but screw it i'll jst care less and wear it :) thanks! 

Couple things...It's hard to figure out what's going on in the photo, because even though you have almost zero break, you have creases that look like they come from stacking.  This makes me think you'll actually get some length back as the fabric softens up. You probably do still have some potential shrinkage in the length, but if you stay away from agitated hot washes it shouldn't be that extreme...there is a significant difference between how much the 16oz and 14oz denims from Flat Head shrink, and this will work in your favor.  Lastly, based on the photo I'm looking at, I'd actually double cuff at the cuff size you're at right now, just to make sure there is no break, and clean up the shape of the leg a little bit...the you will be showing a little ankle, but with a double cuff, it looks like you intend to do that, and it's not a bad look at all.  That might be shorter than you're used to, but they are far from ruined.  

I agree, the length looks fine. What i do when I have jeans that I don't want to shrink: wash them in the baththub while wearing them. You won't loose much in the inseam (just pull it back out) and none in the waist. It's about 80-90% as clean as you get them in the machine, but I can live with that.

BTW, still thinking about the 3009.

BTW, still thinking about the 3009.

I'm kinda always thinking about the 3009's lately, despite the fact that I just started a new pair of jeans, and the last pair of jeans I wore for any length of time were 3005s...the cut is so so good though.  

^^^ in the same boat. i have one other pair im about 2 months in on- debating if i should tough it out so that these are lighter by february when i go back to college, or give in and just get the 3009s and hope they are lighter by february. trying to to have one faded pair and one dark pair when i go back, but i dont want to keep buying jeans and not fade them ever.

Edited by jmfr

Everybody just buy some 3009. I think a lot of people have then now. Mine have just hit 2 months and are starting to develop some character. I think I'm going with RJB for my next pair since I moved back to Florida and it's always hot as bawls here.

Edited by Maddogwellz

^^^ in the same boat. i have one other pair im about 2 months in on- debating if i should tough it out so that these are lighter by february when i go back to college, or give in and just get the 3009s and hope they are lighter by february. trying to to have one faded pair and one dark pair when i go back, but i dont want to keep buying jeans and not fade them ever.

If you get 3009 now and start wearing them everyday, and wash from time to time, they will be significantly lighter by February.  The speed with which contrast is achieved with the 3XXX denim is no joke.

Glad to see the 3009 getting some buzz. They are my overall favorite pair...perfect fit, particularly if you like antifit...

People that like the 3009 also tend to go for the Sam 500xx, as I have...definitely go 1-2 sizes down in the sams...I learned the hard way...though nicely fixed by railcar

tmadd,

Is the shrinkage difference between 3XXX and 1XXX denim really significant? I have some old F350s that I machine washed at 60C from raw, which shrank more than I thought. They're OK but a bit tighter in the thigh than I'd prefer. I also have some raw 1005s in the same size that I was planning on washing a couple of times at 40C before wear. I'm hoping that the lower wash temp and lesser shrink factor will make them a roomier fit.

Yes...It's been a long long time since I had my SEXFH05s but , I remember how I sized them, and I'd have had no prayer of them fitting after all the washing I did if they shrank anywhere near as much as the 3xxx denim.  You should be in good shape...the 16oz stuff just doesn't move like the 14.5oz does.