The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Those look good, but probably my favorite pair of flat heads are the 1005s (http://www.rawrdenim.com/2013/05/fade-friday-flat-head-1005-unknown-length-of-wear-and-washes/)

on Fade Friday that the dude is wearing oversized (and they still look great!)  It seems like the exceed series is the least popular on forums like this.

Jstavrin, that's an awesome fit.  Since you work at self edge it'd probably be easier for you to answer this question: for a fit like that on 3009s would you just size up one from say the 634s? Stories of the pioneer denim shrinking so much are the only thing that really puts me off from buying them; well, that and upcoming natural indigo iron hearts...

Those look good, but probably my favorite pair of flat heads are the 1005s (http://www.rawrdenim.com/2013/05/fade-friday-flat-head-1005-unknown-length-of-wear-and-washes/)

on Fade Friday that the dude is wearing oversized (and they still look great!)  It seems like the exceed series is the least popular on forums like this.

Jstavrin, that's an awesome fit.  Since you work at self edge it'd probably be easier for you to answer this question: for a fit like that on 3009s would you just size up one from say the 634s? Stories of the pioneer denim shrinking so much are the only thing that really puts me off from buying them; well, that and upcoming natural indigo iron hearts...

Thanks! I'd size up one (maaaybe two) depending on how you wear your 634s. I'm wearing a 34, and I'm someone who would probably buy a size 33 in the 634s.

The colors on the Balder jeans are pretty true to life (although the contrast looks more defined in person), particularly the closeup of the thigh.  But the 1005s have a grayer look to them in real life, compared to those pictures where they look like a more conventional electric blue.

There have been plenty of 1001s featured here (like Zendeen's jeans), but overall it's difficult for me to discern much of a feel or difference in fade between the 14.5 oz and 16 oz fabrics, that can't be attributed to individual variation - except that *maybe* it has a grayer overall color.  The main reason I'd recommend the 16 oz denim would be that it shrinks a lot less, making it easier to size.

Hey guys
 Just sharing my Self Edge X Flat Head SE05BSP jeans at about 2 years in. Starting to need some patches at the knees, folds, and pockets. Notice the completely redone front pocket too. That thing just fell apart. Loved them so far and hopefully for a while longer. I am starting to look for my next pair. These have literally been my only and everyday pair of jeans.

Hopefully this isn't too many images to post.

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms812cCyJg1qzdgf5o8_1280.jpg

Have you worn those daily for two years, solid_jackson?  If so, they're holding up really well, the crotch and back yoke on most jeans are usually falling apart at two years of daily wear.  Evo looks great, even if the lighting makes it a little hard to see some of the details.

^seriously. the crotch and back are usually repaired at least once for me after a year. but then again, i have thicker thighs which tears up the pants….

I just can't believe that... If i have to repair the crotch on my pair of jeans once a year it's just because i did a mistake about sizing... 

I just can't believe that... If i have to repair the crotch on my pair of jeans once a year it's just because i did a mistake about sizing... 

why is it that hard to believe? i wear my jeans almost every day from morning to night with active activity in them a few times a month ie. hiking, biking, etc. if i worked a desk job, then yeah i wouldn't have too many issues. 

i work on my jeans almost every day (i'm cameraman so it's can be everywhere) i'm the most of the time on my knees and my jeans is like a mop when i work. I never had the crotch to repair. So i found that hard to believe and if you work on a desk it's harder to belive.

i work on my jeans almost every day (i'm cameraman so it's can be everywhere) i'm the most of the time on my knees and my jeans is like a mop when i work. I never had the crotch to repair. So i found that hard to believe and if you work on a desk it's harder to belive.

thats good for you. you're a lucky guy then but i assure you that crotch blowouts can happen quickly even if you have the most perfectly sized pants ever.

i also don't work a desk job, walk about 3-4 miles a day but my thighs are just big and rub when i walk. I was blessed with my parents legs and made them worse with years of soccer and tennis as a kid.  

of course when i wore tighter and skinnier jeans and also when I was a lot heavier it wore down a lot faster but it still happens no matter what size, cut, style the jeans are. I slimmed down to about 140lbs (i'm about 5'9) and it still happens so if you have some magical trick that can slim down my thighs, please PM me and i'll be forever thankful. 

I don't think there is anything too terribly surprising about the yoke and crotch of a pair of jeans with poly stitching holding up for 2+ years.  There are tons of variables that go into how and where a pair of jeans starts to break down.  Not only cut, sizing, and body type, but also how you wear the jeans (as in how high or low you have the waist/rise), and what activities you do in them.  My brother and I wear similar sizes and similar cuts, but he is wider across the hips than I am, and wears his jeans slung lower than I do. He destroys yokes and crotches with an alarming frequency, where I only ever have crotch repairs that result directly from the abrasion of riding hundreds of miles on my bicycle.  Another friend of mine wears mostly 47 and 66 style cuts with 100% cotton stitching, sized on the tight side, but he has thin legs and narrow hips.  He beats the hell out of his jeans, and he's never had to repair a crotch or yoke.  

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have post soak measurements for the 3009 in 34? 

Kyle- did i read somewhere that you said the pockets are hard to get your hands in and out of on the 3009? i have the problem on another pair right now, its really frustrating.

thanks

Edited by jmfr

Kyle- did i read somewhere that you said the pockets are hard to get your hands in and out of on the 3009? i have the problem on another pair right now, its really frustrating.

thanks

I have pocket issues on my 3002

I have trouble with the pockets on my 3009 as well. And they're at 2 months now. Thought they would have stretched more by now. The pockets of my F310 were difficult but they eventually stretched to be fine. Idk why it's different between the two pairs.

Edited by Maddogwellz

shit my paulroses (main pair right now) are ball crushers, from where im sitting, that doesnt sound too bad of a problem. the fit is pretty much great all around except the crotch being a inch to high. oh and the pockets...

Edited by jmfr

shit my paulroses (main pair right now) are ball crushers, from where im sitting, that doesnt sound too bad of a problem. the fit is pretty much great all around except the crotch being a inch to high. oh and the pockets...

You're correct!

Just feels awkward sometimes. I'm used to my PBJ and 3sixteens

The 3009 and some of the other slimmer-fitting Flat Head models have smaller pockets, while the straight-leg models like the 3005 and F380 have larger pockets.  I've been collecting customer feedback on FH items through Superdenim and other sites, and I'll let our designers know about it.

Cmboland, the crotch will probably settle down with some wear.  The hip on my 3009 always seems really boxy after I've washed or soaked my jeans, but it drapes a lot better after a week or two of wear.  I'm guessing it's probably similar with your jeans (which I think are a great fit, by the way.)  So often we can get hung up on little imperfections that we forget to enjoy all the good stuff about a pair of jeans. B)

Edited by Kyle@TFH

Yes, the 3009 has tiny pockets, along with several other of the slimmer fitting Flat Heads. I have no idea why, it bothers me too. Other jeans like the 3005 and F380 have larger pockets. Lots of people have complained about this (Daniel from DC4 was talking with me about it at Flat Head's Super Weekend event a week ago) and I'm going to see if we can get something done about it.

Cmboland, the crotch will probably settle down with some wear. The hip on my 3009 always seems really boxy after I've washed or soaked my jeans, but it drapes a lot better after a week or two of wear. I'm guessing it's probably similar with your jeans (which I think are a great fit, by the way.) So often we can get hung up on little imperfections that we forget to enjoy all the good stuff about a pair of jeans. B)

I mean.... They're still my favorite

Been wearing my 2111s a bit more lately and they're already showing some signs of fading around the back pockets and where I keep my zippo. It's just too hot here in Texas to wear 'em everyday. I really do love the fit.

thanks

I can give you post soak measurements for the 3009 in 33, if that helps at all?

edit: at first, it is extremeelyyyy frustrating to reach in and out of your pockets, I almost missed several phone calls just trying to reach for it. It loosens up noticeably over time but, it's still relatively tight (for pockets).

Edited by PhillyFresh

Yea that would be helpful thanks, i think i might be in between sizes anyway.

2 more questions then i'll stop being a pest... a) aside from the pocket stitching, the japanese models are all cut the same as the us models correct? and b ) any sellers i should specifically avoid on rakuten? thanks

Edited by jmfr

Yea that would be helpful thanks, i think i might be in between sizes anyway.

2 more questions then i'll stop being a pest... a) aside from the pocket stitching, the japanese models are all cut the same as the us models correct? and b ) any sellers i should specifically avoid on rakuten? thanks

The se05bsp is basically the 3002 with a 1" larger waist per tag size on the bsp and different pocket stitching.

I got my 3002 from 2nd and had an amazing experience. Crazy fast shipping.