The Flat Head

LFC4ever

half a year on my SExFHxRJB15

those are looking great. super close to making those my next jeans. 2 things, are the thighs stupidly tight and is the rise ball-bustingly low (a la rn04). I know it's subjective, but any help would be great! the denim on these is too good to pass up.

those are looking great. super close to making those my next jeans. 2 things, are the thighs stupidly tight and is the rise ball-bustingly low (a la rn04). I know it's subjective, but any help would be great! the denim on these is too good to pass up.

The photo isn't very true to color but the best I could do with the lights in my dorm. I'll try to get some better photos up in the next week to show progress better.

With regards to the fit - I'm around 6' and very skinny so the thighs have not been an issue. But I can definitely see how they would be for most others. The denim's stretch is not a whole lot so not sure how to help on sizing but personally I love how the jeans are coming along!

hello, i have a question for denim lover like you.

i'm interested, whit the 4001sp (black/red stitch) but i'm not familiar with flat head sizing.

Actually the only "japanese" jean i own is a edwin sen size 31 that fit perfectly (32 in others brand like levi's g-star, lee).

After reading a lot of pages of this thread (not all...) it seem that flat head size "normal" (tag size 31 or waist 31 on tate&yoko ?)

is it true for the 4001 too ?

sorry for my english, it's not my native language

thanks in advance

Yeah Max, my FH western shirt is very slow to fade, too. It's probably going to take a few years until these denim shirts really start to look good.

By the way, fellow tall guys: It looks like DC4 is starting to offer regular FH cuts with longer inseams. According to the site their 1001 and 1005 jeans have a 38.6/99cm inseam. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a pair. How's the stretch/shrink on the 1XXX denim compared to the 3XXX?

Edited by Cold Summer

Both my F350s were @36.5 raw but my 1005s are @38.

BTW Max, I have the Flat Head wabash too, bought over a year and a half ago and 1 machine wash and I agree, it retains its indigo very well. Mine doesn't have metal buttons though, they seem to be plastic.

Yes, but I didn't expect much fading on these (until I saw a washed out one in the Lightning Farmer Mag). I got mine as deadstock item at DC4 a year ago and it still has the metal buttons. Don't kno when they changed this, but I'm glad to have those old ones. (And had to fix every one of them to keep it that way. Damn cotton thread ;))

Yeah, except for my BSPs the FH jeans I've handled have been about 33.5" post-soak (F310, 3001). FH always uses the F-style arcs on jeans sold outside Japan, but they're usually the same length as the Japanese ones. I got an email back from Daniel saying that they special order those 1001s and 1005s, so that explains it. Some people might think FH jeans in general have a longer post-soak inseam, but that's because they haven't gotten out all the shrink (doing one lukewarm soak with no agitation doesn't get the job done; agitated hot soaks are the way to go with FH stuff.)

I actually ended up ordering some 3009s from 2ND as a Christmas present to myself. I think they'll work better than the 1001s because there's less pinch at the knees and a longer rise. The inseam will be shorter than my other jeans, but I'm mostly going to wear these with boots so it doesn't really matter. I love the denim on my BSPs but I'm tired of the thigh-strangling leg and low rise. Cut seems pretty similar to the S710 so we'll see how it goes.

The Flat Head 3009, Size 32 (True To Size)

Pre-Soak

( Centimeters – Inches )

Waist 82 32.3

Front rise 27.5 10.8

Back rise 38.7 15.23

Thigh 32.4 12.75

Knee 23.8 9.4

Hem 20.8 8.2

Inseam 93 36.6

Post-Soak

Waist 80 31.5

Front rise 26.5 10.4

Back rise 37 14.5

Thigh 31 12.2

Knee 22.5 8.85

Hem 19 7.5

Inseam 88 34.6

3009front_zpsbbea0322.jpg

3009back_zps3e3d78ff.jpg

I wish I had bought these jeans a year and a half ago. I would have saved myself so much trouble. The fit (my problem with BSPs and F310s) is excellent, much better than I expected. I worried about a looser top thigh, but while it's a little different from my S710s it looks good so far. Unlike the F310/3001, it's not tight in the knee, and the hem is smaller, at 19 cm. in comparison to 20-21 for F310s. Compared to Samurai S710s, the rise is slightly longer and the top block is a little looser, but the lower leg has more taper. The two silhouettes are surprisingly different.

I gave these a 40-minute soak in warm water, with 5 minutes or so of agitation. That got all of the shrinking out in one shot (a good way to confirm this is to check the inseam: a fully-shrunken FH inseam will always be 83-84 cm.) Holding down the upper block with my foot, I pulled the leg out to 88 cm/about 34.5 in.; I was pleasantly surprised that this actually worked. After they dried, I soaked the top block again and tumble-dried the jeans to slim up the top.

Detail-wise, these are my favorite Flat Head jeans I've handled. The original FH arcs look great, of course (though I like the F-arcs too) and some of the particulars are different from my BSPs. The pockets are slightly deeper and have the Flat Head logo printed on them. The backs of the fly buttons are round, and the hidden rivets are also round and differ from BSPs.

These are easily the best of the Flat Head jeans I've tried, and I'm happy to finally get a pair that fits right. My New Year's Resolution is to only wear these and my S710s for the next year and beyond. I can't think of anything that would tempt me away from these two excellent pairs of jeans.

Good question. I could find barely any fit pics besides ones from Japanese sellers. The 3001 cut is really pretty strange (low rise, tight upper block and thigh, relatively loose in the lower leg) that only works for a certain body type. The 3009 has a gradual taper from the thigh down and a much more flexible silhouette, IMO. It looks slim but it's not tight anywhere - it probably works even better for guys who can fill out the upper thigh better than me.

All,

I've been wearing a pair of Iron Heart 634s (size 36) and am looking to pick out a pair of Flat Head Jeans. I'm looking for something more slim around the hips (the 634s is a little baggy there) and also a higher rise. I've had my eye on either the F380 or the 3009s. Can anyone make a recommendation on the sizing and cut? I'm a 36 TTS.

If you sized up to a 38 in 3009s you'd get a similar fit, but with a little more taper at the hem.

Here's a comparison to how my BSPs fit (to the 3009s a few posts up). As you can see, the mid-leg was way too tight. I hate it when the honeycombs have that really tight, accordion-like pattern; I've had trouble with this in lots of jeans before.

403465_225850207535877_244979738_n.jpg

Kiya the GOAT denim master had my jeans shipped from San Francisco to Toronto during the holiday rush in 4 business days. Don't forget about email replies within the hour. That's what I call service. Excuse the language, but these BSPs are freaking amazing. Iron buttons are such a nice touch. The fabric is much smoother than my NFxONI pair. Can't wait to try these bad boys on after the hot machine wash.

Denim game Flat Head.

8304862021_abb2dcb732_c.jpg

Edit: Holy shit, waist shrank so much after a hot machine wash. Size 29 shrank to ~13.8.

Edited by rosarkar