The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Thanks guys, looking forward to breaking these in. I've always heard stories that Flat Head front pockets are borderline unusable because how small they are and I confirm that these RJB's definitely have the smallest front pockets I've encountered on jeans. Luckily I'm not a big front pocket user.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, space_cowboy said:

Thanks guys, looking forward to breaking these in. I've always heard stories that Flat Head front pockets are borderline unusable because how small they are and I confirm that these RJB's definitely have the smallest front pockets I've encountered on jeans. Luckily I'm not a big front pocket user.

It’s also funny watching the most massive wallets be stuffed into them 

2 hours ago, cmboland said:

It’s also funny watching the most massive wallets be stuffed into them 

Agreed, if you mean the long biker wallets... but I find my mid-length FH wallet fits exactly into the back pocket of my 3005s (funny, that!) with just the silver ring protruding clear of the pocket edge. Many other jeans end up with a chewed hem on the pocket from that ring... I know we're talking front pockets, but smaller ones have their place – my generously-pocketed jeans (e.g. UES; Tender) often end up with a very distinct pocket bag fade due to their generously-thighed contents

I never put any stuff in my front pockets on any jeans, hate how it feels and fades... but I put my hands in my pockets all the time. They have to go somewhere, right? So I find it really annoying when the front pockets are too small for me to stick my hands in.

8 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

so what does it mean that The Flat Head is going bankrupt? They still seem to be making jeans?

companies can go bankrupt and still continue on. Look at Chrysler.

5 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I never put any stuff in my front pockets on any jeans, hate how it feels and fades... but I put my hands in my pockets all the time. They have to go somewhere, right? So I find it really annoying when the front pockets are too small for me to stick my hands in.

ive grown partial to having a card holder for a phone case.

11 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

so what does it mean that The Flat Head is going bankrupt? They still seem to be making jeans?

They've changed owner as a result but new pics on IG look promising! 

• 2 weeks later...

Cant remember if I have posted this before, pulled this put of a drawer today  I'd completely forgot about it. Special addition t I bought from TFH stall (meeting the man himself) at the Pronto Denim Carnival in BKK back in 2016 I I think 

THC tshirt with all their sub brands logos on the back. Cant actually recall wearing it. Excuse the creases 

Great colour for summer.

20200517_093209.thumb.jpg.0579779c12a5a8803471a23999efb567.jpg

20200517_093222.thumb.jpg.f5f38082799af87e4780fcfd84c1e5ae.jpg

20200517_093338.thumb.jpg.a04dc653022636ec437bb89a457b94b6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, space_cowboy said:

Ordered the Real Japan Blues x R&H RFR-004 from Rivet & Hide. I normally go for some stacking, but decided to hem them so they don't break. Worried I may have gone a bit too high.

20200502_100108.thumb.jpg.46aa21285019619de5cd234a854f87d2.jpg20200502_100021.thumb.jpg.fed03340a167415981a38c9d9cc16ef1.jpg20200502_100157.thumb.jpg.d18934bd4c50cc1422ab6d3b359fcd71.jpg20200502_100705.thumb.jpg.0ecf21b063b5ca2060c99f2c0032d02f.jpg20200502_100440.thumb.jpg.e95965cb54d035b2d710732a29c7e244.jpg

Sadly after ~20 wears, the waist hasn't stretched out to where I need it to be for these to work long term. If anyone in the US is interested in grabbing them at a very reasonable price send me a DM. They're a size 31 and have been hemmed to 30" by Indigo Proof. These are truly some awesome jeans and I'm super bummed that they didn't work out. 

I'm having a hard time finding jeans that accompany a minimum 12.5" thigh at a 32" waist that doesn't have a 11"- + rise. I feel if I sized up 1 or 2 on this exact model the jeans would be practically touching my belly button. 

9 hours ago, space_cowboy said:

Sadly after ~20 wears, the waist hasn't stretched out to where I need it to be for these to work long term. If anyone in the US is interested in grabbing them at a very reasonable price send me a DM. They're a size 31 and have been hemmed to 30" by Indigo Proof. These are truly some awesome jeans and I'm super bummed that they didn't work out. 

I'm having a hard time finding jeans that accompany a minimum 12.5" thigh at a 32" waist that doesn't have a 11"- + rise. I feel if I sized up 1 or 2 on this exact model the jeans would be practically touching my belly button. 

You just gotta keep wearing bro. 60 wears would be where I run if I'm sure it isn't gonna work. They look good on you—and I get the pain—but that is raw denim.

After a few years you could get them to look like this. Trust me, a lot of work and at one time I thought the same thing.

DSCF1949.jpg

DSCF1953.jpg

10 hours ago, space_cowboy said:

It's mainly the waist measurement that changes in different sizes. Sure, rise and thigh measurements are scaled accordingly, but they don't change as much as the waist. If the waist is too small on your pair, and the thigh and rise are good, then sizing up 1 won't increase in those measurements that much when you wear them. And, if you increase the waist size, they'll probably ride a little lower, and be at the same level as you're pair are now. For me, regardless of rise, high or low, my jeans always end up just slightly below my hip bones. Unless of course if they're ultra-low rise and they don't even make it that high, lol. 

Neph on the IH forum has given out this good advice many times, that a cut should be chosen by the thigh measurement first, then decide on your waist size. If the thighs are too small for you size, sizing up will only make the waist too big. 

The only cuts that come to mind that I can recommend looking at are Samurai's S510 - it's a wide in the thigh and hips compared to the waist, with a medium rise, and straight leg; PBJ 019 straight tapered cut; maybe Tanuki's tapered cut if you want low rise and taper, but they are very low rise and very tapered. Tanuki's Regular Straight cut thigh's aren't that big, but it's a good cut. OD has worked w/ SDA on a relaxed tapered cut, but it looks really tapered. Otherwise maybe the guys more knowledgeable about repro models can give advice about a fuller leg cut, and you could get them tapered... 

On 5/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, space_cowboy said:

Sadly after ~20 wears, the waist hasn't stretched out to where I need it to be for these to work long term. 

why not use waist stretcher?

On 5/26/2020 at 7:16 PM, mpukas said:

It's mainly the waist measurement that changes in different sizes. Sure, rise and thigh measurements are scaled accordingly, but they don't change as much as the waist. If the waist is too small on your pair, and the thigh and rise are good, then sizing up 1 won't increase in those measurements that much when you wear them. And, if you increase the waist size, they'll probably ride a little lower, and be at the same level as you're pair are now. For me, regardless of rise, high or low, my jeans always end up just slightly below my hip bones. Unless of course if they're ultra-low rise and they don't even make it that high, lol. 

Neph on the IH forum has given out this good advice many times, that a cut should be chosen by the thigh measurement first, then decide on your waist size. If the thighs are too small for you size, sizing up will only make the waist too big. 

The only cuts that come to mind that I can recommend looking at are Samurai's S510 - it's a wide in the thigh and hips compared to the waist, with a medium rise, and straight leg; PBJ 019 straight tapered cut; maybe Tanuki's tapered cut if you want low rise and taper, but they are very low rise and very tapered. Tanuki's Regular Straight cut thigh's aren't that big, but it's a good cut. OD has worked w/ SDA on a relaxed tapered cut, but it looks really tapered. Otherwise maybe the guys more knowledgeable about repro models can give advice about a fuller leg cut, and you could get them tapered... 

This is good advice. I do size for thighs, but perhaps I'm paying too much concern to rise. Finding the right thigh to waist ratio is what I need. Think I need to try on my next pair in person, whenever things go back to normal.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, reallypeacedoff said:

You just gotta keep wearing bro. 60 wears would be where I run if I'm sure it isn't gonna work. They look good on you—and I get the pain—but that is raw denim.

After a few years you could get them to look like this. Trust me, a lot of work and at one time I thought the same thing.

DSCF1949.jpg

DSCF1953.jpg

Those look amazing. Maybe I will give them some more time before making the final decision, or bite the bullet and size up because I really love this fabric.