The Flat Head

LFC4ever

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks. Recently got myself a Flatty and have been pretty obsessed, reading through a couple of hundred of the pages on this thread.

A quick question about Flat Head Balder jeans, on the off chance that anyone knows. Can anyone comment if they were ever produced with non-selvedge fabric, or if for whatever reason some runs of this model had a plain, white over-lock seam on the outseam near the cuffs?

I Found one going for a steal and it could possibly be a good fit for my wife, but it seems to have that aforementioned overlock stitch on the outseam (instead of an expected pink line selvedge) and lacks that little brown label on edge of the back right pocket. I've seen examples with and without this label but never with a non-selvedge outseam.

Gut feel tells me it's a fake, but as to why anyone would want to make a fake Flat Head Balder is beyond me. Unless it's just a poorly tapered boot cut Balder...appreciate any insight. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

Balder jeans are so obscure that I doubt it's a fake. Much more likely, it's just been altered.

Thanks for your insight. I just got a notice that the seller took the listing down as soon as I reached out. Quite a pity. 

1 hour ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

Seems The Flat Head is getting a new owner.

https://www.flat-head.com/news190417/

Sounds a bit "end of an era" type thing...

via Google translate...

" THE FLAT HEAD" aims to restructure the brand
We will suspend except for some products.
Then we head to the next stage and launch a new brand.

Just because it's an important brand, I'll stare again.

I founded Flathead Co., Ltd., and at the forefront of twenty years have built brands such as "THE FLAT HEAD" and "RJB". And now the market has changed a lot. THE FLAT HEAD has also expanded the development of items and made efforts to meet further needs, but from various factors such as changes in the market such as the Internet, we will continue to build the brand in the way as it is now Things have become difficult. Therefore, because it is an important brand that has been fostered so far, we revisit it again and, in order to rebuild a brand that aims to satisfy customers more than now, with the exception of some products, we suspend “THE FLAT HEAD” with the 2019 spring summer collection. I decided to do it.

Now is the time of change. I, Masayoshi Kobayashi resigned as president
Start a new brand with young staff.

Along with that, I will be appointed chairman. And now is the time of flat head revolution, and I think it was a good time for the young staff to unite and create a new flat head corporation. Therefore, as my successor, Katsuya Miyasaka, the former managing director who has built flat heads together, will take office as president, and take a new step as a new flat head. As a first step, we will launch a new brand that leverages the manufacturing that we have cultivated up to now, and will start with this 2019 Fall / Winter collection. As a new brand in Miyasaka and below, we will inherit flathead genes and create more fun and exciting things that pursue manufacturing with more commitment, so I hope you can expect more than ever.
And, the last item of the “THE FLAT HEAD” brand last fall / winter will hold the Final Festa, which can be purchased at Thank You Price. Please visit us early to avoid missing your purchase. In addition, the 2019 Spring / Summer Collection is the last full lineup as THE FLAT HEAD, and even a T-shirt has been completed as a complete compilation. I hope you can look forward to it.
Thank you for your continued patronage.

Flathead Co., Ltd. Representative Director Masayoshi Kobayashi

37 minutes ago, Broark said:

Time for me to find a pair of old JP arc 3005 or 3009. :ph34r:

3005-S will do it. Really like mine, wearing those and the TCB 50s pretty much. 

I would like the 3009, but not seeing anything unfortunately. All seem to be ultra-suede. 

I regret not getting one of the WR wabash workshirts now...

Edit: Or maybe not. I'm looking at the sizing, and it's ... huh ... weird.

Edited by JDelage

3 hours ago, DoitsuJin said:

the press release implies that they will keep their core products - don't think TFH jeans will be going away

Sadly I find the market of vintage/repro jeans getting smaller and smaller each year I go back to Japland - they seem to struggle to sell their own products. Well, time will tell.....

P.S. @ DoitsuJinくん
フラヘもヤバかったんだ・・・そ〜だよな〜、今のご時世2〜3万もするレプリカジーンズを買うのって小金持ちのオッサンくらいなもんだしな〜。

3 hours ago, Naoto Ver.2 said:

Sadly I find the market of vintage/repro jeans getting smaller and smaller each year I go back to Japland - they seem to struggle to sell their own products. Well, time will tell.....

P.S. @ DoitsuJinくん
フラヘもヤバかったんだ・・・そ〜だよな〜、今のご時世2〜3万もするレプリカジーンズを買うのって小金持ちのオッサンくらいなもんだしな〜。

Naoto3!お久しぶりです。

新ブランド立ち上げるそうですし、もうかっていなかったそうでしたので方向転換ですよね~。

フラへは持っていませんが、値段も他のレプリカジーンズよりちょい高めですね。

1 hour ago, DoitsuJin said:

Naoto3!お久しぶりです。

新ブランド立ち上げるそうですし、もうかっていなかったそうでしたので方向転換ですよね~。

フラへは持っていませんが、値段も他のレプリカジーンズよりちょい高めですね。

Personally, my heyday of premium-quality jeans were over almost ten years ago. Since then I've been wearing my old pairs (i.e. Evisu, Warehouse, Denime etc.) or current Levi's 501s (STF) going back and forth.

I'm still interested in denim products and enjoy seeing people's fashion coordination (I steal their style from time to time :P), but unfortunately I have to think about my financial situation for my future now. It sounds harsh, but that's reality.....:(

Sorry for interrupting, now please carry on talking about Flat Head......

P.S. フラヘ、確かに高過ぎ。:blink2: あとLVC 501も去年アメ横で値段を見てビックリ!あまりの値段の高さに開いた○○○が塞がらなかったわ〜!

Edited by Naoto Ver.2