The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Like I said in PM, I think you should definitely get a size 33 and hot wash it to get all the shrink out. The denim won't stretch unless there is a lot of pressure for it to.

Edited by itsbenhere

Still lurking around ;)

The 3005 are hanging around unloved... only wearing my 105BSP's at this point... funny since the 3005 are still perfect in my eyes, but after "creating" them I wanted to try something else.

For anyone who forgot..

Y1iMLP7.jpg

yQUcbTE.jpg

M1a05c2.jpg

Anyone know if any retailers will be receiving the Flat Head sneakers anytime soon? From images on their Instagram and website it appears the leather sneakers with the 3 diamonds are back! I  have a pair of the canvas and they’re probably my favorite shoes I own. 

If anyone is dying for a pair, I just had Kiya special order me a pair of the white ones! 

On 8/1/2018 at 9:01 AM, bod said:

I had the white ones in 2012, christ time has flown since then!

Yes it has. Still kick myself for not buying the native check shirt from you back then. Ended up buying it from self edge in the wrong size, selling it, and finally buying a 40 :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Gather round, my friends, as I recount my tumultuous relationship with Flat Head jeans!

Fall 2011: Hey, I moved to Japan, and suddenly just wearing Nudie doesn't seem good enough anymore. This Flat Head brand sounds interesting; look at this Sidneylo guy's jeans! They look rad. Maybe I could wear jeans as rad as that. Muh Contrast! Must buy Flat Head. Acquired: F310 from 2ND. Pretty Good fit after a cold soak. But dang it, I'm still at that phase where I'm insecure about being Really Tall and wanting my jeans to go down to my heel after I cuff them, so these seem to short. Let's sell 'em. Oh well.

Early 2012: I need length above all else. The SE05BSP is the longest Flat Head jean out there, so let's get it! Hey, these are kinda tight in the lower thigh. Almost like I have Kinda Weird proportions. Maybe I should just wear a straighter fit...? Nah! Stacks For Days, baby. I am so insistent on making these jeans work that I wear them every day during a visit to Houston... in July. And I walk around outside a fair amount. I'm starting to think there might be something wrong with me.

December 2012: Alright, I'm ready to try something different. Let's try the 3009! That's, like, a slim straight fit, right? It should fit pretty much the same as my Samurai S710! I miss having a Really Long inseam. Let's soak and stretch it out by hand! Man, this is hard. And I have to do this every time I wash them?! Ugh. This fit isn't slim straight at all! It's all boxy in the top! Well, at least my legs have some room. Time to pull the jeans down so they sit below my hip bone - so, you know, I can have some more inseam length!

Fall 2013: I've been working at Flat Head six months and still haven't bought a new pair of jeans. That's gotta change! 1001 it is! Finally a great-looking slim straight fit! Man these jeans rule. Time to wash them. Oh crap, they shrunk some more and I've got the Dreaded Lower Thigh Tightness. And they sit well below my hip bone. The things I go through for my fades...

Spring 2014: You know what? I never wear these 3009s anymore. Let's send them to my brother. They'd probably fit him well. 

Fall 2014: I've been wearing these 1001s for nine months! They look Pretty Good, but muh thighs. Let's donate them to Rivet And Hide as a faded sample! Oh shoot, I don't have any Flat Head jeans anymore.

Spring 2015: Hey, there's a denim contest coming up, and I've never worn any Flat Head heavyweight denim. Let's get the 2111!

Fall 2015: You know what? I really don't like heavyweight denim. Or lined back pockets. Bye, 2111. At least I've still got my Flat Head denim shirt!

Early 2017: Hey, remember the F310 back in the day? Those fit pretty good, right? I'll buy them again. I don't care about a long inseam anymore. Give em a nice spin in the washing machine to get all that shrinkage out. What the heck?! Good grief these are tight. Maybe that first pair I got back in 2011 wasn't fully shrunk... I give up.

August 2018: I'm tired of low-rise fits. I'm tired of stuff that's too tight in the thigh. I want my jeans to sit at or above my hips and sort of have an old school fit. I don't care about a long inseam anymore. I don't care about getting Maximum Contrast Sick Thai Fades. What's this? Great deal on a new, unused pair of Japanese 3009s? Alright, alright, let's try this again and hope this one fits like my old pair.

53 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

Yep, I forgot to mention those. The D105s were a pretty good fit but I never felt the rise was as long as it should be for a straight-leg jean, so my junk ended up feeling crowded a lot of the time. 

Have you seen the D306 in the Pioneer denim released since you left TFH? The rise is great and there is extra thigh room too.

Our RJB (whilst not strictly FH) collaboration was conceived to offer a higher rise compared with their core range. The left hand twill denim is so soft so can be worn super slim in comfort. Then we did the RFR-004 for a relaxed tapered fit but I think you'd favour the RFR-002

I have looked at the D306, seems like to get my waist size right I'd have to go down a size or two, and at that point the rise is actually shorter than a 3009 in my size, and there's more taper to the leg than I really want. I love the R&H RJB collabs and that denim is just incredible, but looking at the 002 measurements I think they'd be tight in the lower thigh on me. If I ever get ripped and grow some thunder thighs, I will absolutely buy a pair of the 004 :D

Assuming that my new 3009s fit similar to my old ones, I think I'll be happy with the fit and find them nice and comfy. I think that I wasn't entirely happy with the 3009s the first time around because what I really wanted was a slim straight look, akin to the 3001/1001, and the 3009 is not that kind of fit. My tastes (and style) have changed though, so I think 3009 Round Two is going to work. I will keep you all posted.

Any experience with the "Authentic Western Wear" line, particularly the shirts modeled after Levi's Long Horn (e.g., CW-10)? Looking at photos, the bodies seem a lot boxier than most of their Westerns, or even their Workshirts, and it's throwing me off some. If I plan to wear this as a main layer, think it's worth sizing down one from my winter flannel Workshirt, which is generally worn as an over-layer?

Thanks guys! I guess I realized that at my height, most straight fits will look pretty slim on me regardless. I'm really enjoying how comfy these are, and after a day of wear they've already developed some nice whiskers/honeycombs, so I expect some great fading down the line.

I do have 3009s on the way from Japan, but since I've worn the fit before I figured I'd wear the 3005 first since it's new (for me) and save the 3009s until these need repairs. 

Those 3005's look good, I always tell myself if I find a pair on Yahoo Auctions at the right price with the JP arcs I'd buy a pair.
Looking forward to the new Self Edge Flat Head Ai jeans, although if I recall correctly they're going to be pretty slim. :(