The Flat Head

LFC4ever

13 hours ago, Mongmeohotdau814 said:

thank you, myself I want to go for size 32 but kyle (selfedge)

says: i should go for size 33 because this pair shrinks a lot, and it is hard to stretch

I never thought I could go for size 33 @@!

You're welcome. I reccomend the 32 because I had the 1001 and the 3001 both in the same size. 

I sold that 1001 and now wear 3001. The 1001 uses the same denim as the 1002, and shrunk less with a hot wash compared to my 3001 Pioneer denim. 

This is also a different cut than the 1002 you are looking to get, but is the same denim. 

Which size you choose depends on how tight you want the pair to fit. But my pair stretched back to raw in waist fairly easily. 

No matter what you do I recommend a hot wash as Ben mentioned above and a good comparison of online measurements with what you currently wear. 

@Mongmeohotdau814

If the guys at Rivet and Hide and Self Edge have both suggested a size 33, then maybe go with that!? 

They probably know what they're talking about...their businesses are based on exactly that.

They also know the guy who created the jeans, developed the fabric and designed each specific cut...

Or just choose what you want and carry on. 

I would trust the sizing advice from RivetandHide as the sizing advice they shared was spot on. I have two pairs based on their sizing advice and both are exactly at the size they mentioned, after shrinkage and some stretch from wearing them.

My roommate's Balders after a wash (The Flat Head's ladies' line.) These are about 10 years old, but couldn't say how long they were worn or how many washes. Maybe 2-3 years of effective wear. Pretty sure these use the 3000-series denim. As someone who has yet to own a pair of TFH, I'm jealous! All that vertical fading almost gives them a natural indigo impression.

4UU3mLa.jpg

dIh5lS0.jpg

Edited by enojy

On 5/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, bod said:

Look good but the pic looks like someone got a bit enthusiastic with the saturation slider

I thought the same! I didn't edit it, though, that's just how the phone chose the lighting (background is bathroom tile reflecting LED lights.) The color/fading of the denim is very accurate.

Edited by enojy

A friend of mine has a pair of BNWT Pronto x FH 05 jeans and he's gifting them to me. If that ends up pulling through then i'd have my two grail flat heads. Im excited.

Interest check: thinking of selling the CO-30WOS that I got recently on auction (photos a few posts up). Tag size is 44. NOS, tags included—pretty sure it's from the 2015 season. The fabric's mid-weight and really soft and flow-ey, with a great pattern. The collars are a bit big / pointy for me, so I've been flopping back and forth on whether or not to keep it. I'd be sad to see it go, but I think I'd be more sad to see it sit on a hanger in my closet without getting regularly worn. Retail is ¥27,000 = $245, but I got it on auction for $120, so I think I'd be happy to do $125 shipped.

Will probably post it on Grailed in a few weeks if I don't convince myself between now and then that it's something I can't let go of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy birthday to me!!! I finally got TFH in my life. F-SCW-004L Red and Blue Ivory Native Check Western Shirts, size 44. I scored the last of each color in this size and model from 2nd. 

I've been really, really hesitant for several years about getting a TFH shirt, because I hear and see so many westerners with fit issues. As Kyle described, Kobayashi-san makes the pattern to fit his build, then scales it up for larger sizes, and it often doesn't work for western builds. Seeing that his shirts have wide shoulders and narrow waist, I thought they might work for me. I took a gamble on these 2 shirts, and they fit very well - lucky me!!! I think these might be the best fitting shirts I own. I've had some shirts tailored for me in Bangkok many years ago, and they don't fit nearly as well as these. As long as I don't swole too much more and stay keto, I'm golden! They're a bit tighter in the mid-section and arms than I'm used to. 

Most of my shirts are IH, size XL. In IH I really need an XXL in the chest and shoulders, and XL in length, waist/opening and sleeve length. I'm about 5'-11.25", 185lbs. 

There's nothing that I can say about the TFH that hasn't already been said. The fabric is simply amazing. The construction and details are simply amazing. 

Sizes are fairly consistent for both colors, maybe .125" difference on a couple of measurements: 

• Shoulders, across: 20.875" 
  • Length: 28.25" 
  • Chest: 23.0" 
  • Waist: 20.0" 
  • Opening: 21.25" 
  • Sleeve: 26.25" 
  • Cuff: 4.5" 

20180613_102518.thumb.jpg.fc4c4d9a5602ea26644c8bbaa074a05a.jpg

20180613_102531.thumb.jpg.d190c2ac25ca77edbbddbe1c390daf56.jpg

20180613_102544.thumb.jpg.7abd85964eff2b3beacb4846f8c3de6b.jpg

20180613_102706.thumb.jpg.8fdb01e6cfc9fa155a5a9a4eef92691c.jpg

20180613_102846.thumb.jpg.4c58c8ba79d6d0387b6f11245339914e.jpg

20180613_102901.thumb.jpg.f2d7e13b3dbe993ecba24e9cc1db78aa.jpg

20180613_102931.thumb.jpg.8076068a4a98a21bde8590a9cfd32be7.jpg

20180613_103018.thumb.jpg.6ed45f361cdde4976e952b0ce04e384c.jpg

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Great shirts, wish TFH shirting fit me. If I keep slimming down they might. :D

Thanks @Broark!

Maybe try keto. It's a commitment with sacrifices, but the pay-offs have been well worth it for me. I've been keto for nearly 10 months. I didn't do it to loose weight, more for recovery from surgery. I did lean out quite a bit and lost about 6lbs. Overall I feel great, much better than when I was eating carbs. If you do it, you have to do it right or there may be health risks. Saying all that, it's certainly not the only way to slim down if that your goal. 

Edited by mpukas

1 hour ago, itsbenhere said:

Absolutely gorgeous. Surprised you haven’t tried flat head before! Fits perfect too. 

Thanks @itsbenhere. I've been nervous about how TFH garments fit most other westerners. 

A question for the TFH experts - these shirts are model F-SCW-004L. Not a WR model, so this is standard cut, not wide body cut? I read some pages back TFH is discontinuing WR model shirts. Is that true? I always thought I'd need a WR model, but now I think the standard model is fine for my build. 

I wear a 40 and have a 33 waist so it’s funny that they fit me so well when considering usually the argument is that they taper so much so it’s not so good, and a 40 almost the smallest flat head size I see people wearing in the West. 

Also funny that I’m 185 5’10” yet can wear a small in ih shirts! Body type sure does make a huge difference.