The Flat Head

LFC4ever

6 hours ago, FeloniousMonk said:

^ Sure, I have a pair of the 3012, as do a couple other people on the forum. Though I don't think I've seen a worn-in pair anywhere yet. What would you like to know?

Well I am curious as to if the taper is around the thigh/knee area or more around the hem... I am 6'3" and sometimes my knee protrudes into the lower section of the jeans so I would prefer the taper to end more towards the hem if ya see what i mean

The 3012 has a really even taper through the entire leg below mid-thigh, with a lot below the knee. It's a very strong carrot shape with an almost billowy top block and steady taper from the thighs down to the small leg opening. I don't think you will necessarily have an issue with the knee being too narrow, as my pair does not feel tight around the knee at all. It's just a bit of an extreme look, so be sure you will be ok with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1fookntitefd said:

^ jesus those are some awesome pics. Kobyashi is a baller. Flathead must be insanely profitable for him to afford all those cars and property.

Thanks! He definitely is. I'm not sure if it's all because of Flat Head. He does quite a lot of other things. He's even involved in beauty pageants even.

Looks like an amazing trip and experience. Thanks for taking  the time to share! K-san is definitely baller. 

13 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Great write up dude, that must have been some experience. The rayon shirt looks really good too.

Thanks! I'm loving the shirt. The rayon is so perfect for summer.

@BAerts I wouldn't be surprised. There may have been one in his personal garage. It wasn't open.

@mpukas It was definitely fun and yeah he's a total baller. 

Great pics and writeup. The current Stockburg studio used to be the FH office, the area where you took pictures was the stock area until my last few months there. All the Stockburg people are super nice.

How'd you guys get the VIP treatment? This is the kind of thing that visitors from FH dealers usually experience, haha.

Man I miss Googies. Their food is great. Great pickups too, I love that rayon shirt.

51 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

Great pics and writeup. The current Stockburg studio used to be the FH office, the area where you took pictures was the stock area until my last few months there. All the Stockburg people are super nice.

How'd you guys get the VIP treatment? This is the kind of thing that visitors from FH dealers usually experience, haha.

Man I miss Googies. Their food is great. Great pickups too, I love that rayon shirt.

Thanks! That's interesting. I did not know that when I was there. Yes, the Stockburg people are all super nice!

Honestly, I just met Kobayashi-San at Self Edge last year and talked with him and Istvan for a little over an hour while wearing nothing but Flat Head and RJB gear (I have a lot of it). He invited me to come to see Chikuma if I ever came to Japan and I took him up on the offer as soon as this trip was finalized. I can't believe the treatment I received either! Googie's was the best part. That food is unbelievable.

Guys need since advice. Been wearing my jeans for 9+ months and the crotch is wearing thin and threads are coming loose to the point that there is a small hole... Should I send this in for repair now for preventive maintenance or should I wait until the fabric really wears out?

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

You can prevent that from growing for a while with a simple repair you can do at home. Get some (ideally poly-core cotton, but doesn't really matter) thread, which you can find at any drug store, dollar store, craft store, etc, and use a whip stitch to sew the front and back halves of the crotch seam together. Here's a quick diagram that maybe will help:

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.e45ec4d845821a7d4d0c0e2c81827265.JPG

The premise is: cut about a foot of thread, thread a needle with one end and tie a knot at the other end. Start from the inside of the jeans and wrap the thread around the tearing seam as shown in the left side of the diagram. You will end up with something sort of like the right side at the end -- don't worry if it doesn't look exactly right. Then sew back through to the inside of the jeans, tie a knot and cut the excess thread, and you're good for at least another few months of wear!

That exact thing happened to me on my RJB jeans... I recommend what chicote says. I did that and it worked great. Basically, I would start to worry about repair when the actual denim gets a hole, not just the area around that stitching!

It looks to me like the stitching is still doing it's job but that the denim there is starting to split along where it's folded for the seam. I would say get that repaired while there's still material under there that the repair can be anchored to. I've heard a few repair people say that if you can see weft, it's time to get it repaired.

6 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

That exact thing happened to me on my RJB jeans... I recommend what chicote says. I did that and it worked great. Basically, I would start to worry about repair when the actual denim gets a hole, not just the area around that stitching!

I'll have to watch out for this on mine. I haven't seen anything like this yet...

7 hours ago, Beardedjonathan said:

It looks to me like the stitching is still doing it's job but that the denim there is starting to split along where it's folded for the seam. I would say get that repaired while there's still material under there that the repair can be anchored to. I've heard a few repair people say that if you can see weft, it's time to get it repaired.

Are you referring to this?? Any opinions guys? If i just do a simple stitch on the crotch are these seams at risk of bursting soon and if so should I just send to indigoproof or Self Edge for repair? The inside looks like it's about to give....

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

I can guarantee that if you can get your hands on a sewing machine and do something like this 

zig+zag+stitch+adjustments.jpg

over a couple times it will not get any worse. You could send it off now and it probably wouldn't be any more expensive in the long run as long as you tell them to prematurely reinforce the crotch area etc... but if you don't want to do that just yet, pinky swear what I said will work.