The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Hey guys, 

I am 34-36 TTS. I have the 3002 FH in size 38. I have been wearing for 8-9 months. I have yet to give these guys a full wash since I'm sure they will shrink to an unwearable size, but I have pre soaked and soaked once (around the 7 month mark) since. 

Im convinced this denim shrinks in really cold weather, (-30 Degrees). I was out shovelling snow and once they warmed up the thigh was incredibly tight, anyone else experience this? 

Anyway, I don't mind the fit but Im sure there is better. I am looking for something like the 3002, with a bit more room in the thigh and crotch (both seams in the crotch have separated, and the denim is one jump away from shredding). I like the taper and am not looking for a baggy fit, just something a little more roomy than the 3002, 

any suggestions?

thanks

Such a bummer man... that's why I always say to wash them up front to see how they fit. Then you don't have to worry about having some jeans that don't fit after you've spent a good amount of time in them, and now you need to buy some new ones.

How about the 3009? Straight tapered mid rise... good fit. Or the 3012 if you want a little more carrot to your fit.

You would probably like the 3012, it's similar to the 3002 in the lower leg but much roomier in the top.

Agreed with this, I fit a 34 in the 3002 but can do a 32 in 3012 because of the thighs

Aren't the 3012 true to tagged waist size pre wash? I was trying to buy a pair awhile back and that's what I was finding anyway.

Yes they are one inch bigger on the waist than tagged (with top and bottom waistbands aligned and measured at full width & doubled)

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

How are the thighs of the 3005 compared to the 3012? I want a pair of 3005 but I'm scared that the thighs might be too tight.

I honestly couldn't imagine someone not being able to fit the 3005 because of the thighs. If you have any other jeans that work, the 3005 will work imo. Great cut!

My size 32 3005 ended up being about 12" across in the thigh, BIG style. It took about 3 washes/soaks to get there and never in the dryer. Just a pinch too small for me. I've found the pioneer denim to not stretch very much either. I gotta aim for like 12.5" for it to not look painted on.

The only issues I've ever had with my FH jeans is the yellow inseam overlock stitch thread coming loose, and the stitching around the front pocket threads coming loose, when I haven't had this issue on other pairs (or didn't have it until much later.) I think this is more due to their use of all-cotton thread than anything else.

My first pair of 3012s and flatheads in general. Does anyone else find their quality a bit lacking? I have to send it in yet again for repairs. Guess sugarcanes have spoiled me. 

I'd have to say after selling Flat Head's jeans for over 10 years that their quality control is extremely impressive, even for a high-end Japanese brand.  We rarely see defective product and their jeans, shirts, jackets, etc generally outlast most other brands.  

That's not to say maybe you didn't get an odd pair, but it's very rare with Flat Head.

As far as other FH item durability is concerned, I'd like to point out that I've had a green flannel shirt from Flat Head since December 2011, worn at least once a week in cool months ever since, and zero signs of damage or wear anywhere on the shirt.

Some of the stitching on my fire engine TFH winter flannel is actually getting undone.  It isn't a huge problem at the moment but I'm nervous it'll get worse.  Any idea of any place that would do repairs on it if necessary?  I don't know if Self Edge does shirts or just bottoms.

@denimpeeps - needing sizing advice on TFH long sleeve shirts. I'm 5'11.5", 195lbs. I wear an XL in IH western shirts. I'm wondering if I need an XL(42) or XXL(44) TFH? Cheers! mpp

Some of the stitching on my fire engine TFH winter flannel is actually getting undone.  It isn't a huge problem at the moment but I'm nervous it'll get worse.  Any idea of any place that would do repairs on it if necessary?  I don't know if Self Edge does shirts or just bottoms.

I'm sure Indigo Proof would fix it for you. Probably wouldn't be expensive either since fixing some broken thread is much easier than darning.

Been thinking of picking up some TFH denim, either 3005 or 3009. The sizing is a bit confusing as RH and SE, both whose measurements have been very reliable in the past, have different measurements, say 3009 in size 36 has a waist of 33,5 according to SE and 36 according to RH. Both are unwashed. They measure differently but still there should not be this much difference. Or do runs differ this much in their measurements? SE states that the waist will shrink by an inch, according to RH it will be 1.5". What's your take on this?

Edited by mrman