The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I often wonder where the money comes from for some of those denim brands in Japan. Every time I go to PJB, there is at least one person inside the Harajuku shop trying out/paying etc, but has never met anyone, who is not there to chat with the clerks but to shop, at Daikanyama or Hachioji shops of FH/RJB. Everything seems to be always in stock from the latest collection, even if not at the particular shop I am at. 

Sukajans from FH are insane, but I am not a walking buildboard and would never wear something with a letter logo written over my back. RMC's things are also nice but just way too boxy. (And yeah, I bought the collar FH leather jacket from this season, for which I sought advise earlier. )

IMG_2638.jpg

My first pair of The Flat Heads. Took a quick trip to SEPDX and had a good time hanging out, talking, and learning. I feel bad because I don't recall the guys name who was there at the shop. Just wanted to say thanks again for the great hospitality. I'll post some fit pics as soon as they're done washing/soaking. 

Yeah I'm a 9.5US which I think is a popular size, I haven't seen a pair around that size in a long long time. The pair i just bought is technically used but looks brand new, guy says 1 wear and I believe him. I tried on an 8.5 and they fit but were uncomfortable, so I think a 9 should be good for me, which these are :)

Very excited to have some flat head footwear. That (and underwear) is pretty much the only category i dont have at that point!

Here are my FH Triple Diamond sneakers - worn since March 2013. 5-6 days a week for the first 8-9 months, then 1-2 times a week after that. Lots of wear in the heel, some cracking, wrinkling in the leather (wish I'd known about shoe trees back then), etc. However, the shoes are still incredibly comfortable and look great overall. I'll easily get a few more years of wear out of these.

XI22cM1.jpg

AWHyc2c.jpg

ybOMG9d.jpg

vhI8tSW.jpg

a58i0BD.jpg

They would've helped avoid the leather creasing around the front part of the shoe - they aren't necessary for canvas shoes but are good for leather ones. I've been using shoe trees in my Common Projects Achilles sneakers and they've definitely helped to reduce that.

I do think these are the most durable sneakers I've worn - compared to a pair of Vans worn the same amount, these are much more comfortable. They are very well cushioned, if a fresh/almost new pair of white ones ever came up for sale in size 10 I'd definitely buy them.

I guess I was wrong to assume they would wear as quickly as vans or converse (which is one reason why i was hesitant about spending the money on sneakers in the first place), because they are still just sneakers, but I guess that's the flat head difference!

So you think that these have held up better or the same than your RJB ones? I'd be interested to see how those look after a resole!

The RJB sneakers haven't been worn nearly as much so it's hard to directly compare, but I'd say they're a little bit sturdier overall, the RJB kicks have a rubber outsole compared to the gum sole of the FH ones so that could have something to do with it. However, the FH sneakers are more comfortable on me, and fit better.

The concho on that long wallet is my favorite one FH offers. Great looking wallets, I actually think that one is the ideal setup, the fully-lined version that has pigskin lining under the card slots, billfold, inside the coin case etc. is more "luxurious" but seriously adds to the bulk of the wallet (I know from experience), the unlined version is slimmer and easier to use. 

Cold Summer, how does your size in the Flat Head sneakers compare to your Common Projects? I'm a 41 or 8 in the achilles sneaker and am considering picking up a pair of the canvas flat heads from the Self edge sale. My foot is also a little on the wide side. Is anyone still selling the leather version of those sneakers? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Bad news guys....

*Open out of box*

"Hmm these look kinda small"

*Try on*

"Damn, these are tighter than the 8.5?!"

*check size*

"these are fucking 8s!!!"

He listed them as 9s on eBay. I mean the number is right in the side, how do you miss that? Major bummer! I think eBay will sort it out though.

That sucks Ben. I think we were looking at the same listing on EBay. They seller couldn't give me the exact size so I decided not to bid despite saying it fit 8.5-9. The insole looked like it had 260 printed on it but it wasn't clear.

Nice shirt though!