The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate your accolades!

My jeans have been repaired, so the pockets would be in a much worse condition if they weren't! I don't think the yolk ever needed a repair though!

I felt the same way about the 3009, which is why i bought the 3005. did you gain any weight? I think if I lost a little weight the 3009 would fit me perfectly again, i think its  a great cut for a more modern look.

I haven't gained any weight, I've actually lost a bit lol, I've been wearing a pair of 710xx for the past 1.5 weeks and i put my 3009 on again and they just feel skinny and weird. 

I think it's just the realization that that cut doesnt look nearly as good on me and that maybe the 3005 would be a much better look. If  the 3009 were a 37, vs a 36, and have as many washes as mine do to get shrunken down they would probably be much better 

Anywho, your pair is dope as fuck 

You know i havent been washing them as much as I originally was, partly because i know they won't get too contrasty now, and also because i just havent been wearing them as much as before (not walking around to class everyday anymore...)

Shot in the dark, but any bigger guys have measurements for a fully shrunken 3005 in size 38? I've found some in Japan with the old domestic arcs and I kind of want to buy a pair for the future...

Ask appfaff on the iron heart forum. Although I don't feel right telling you to buy more jeans, even if they are flat head ;)

I strongly prefer the western arcs, but I'm keeping an open mind to the new ultrasuede. I don't like it and I can't remember where I read or heard this from but it's supposed to disintegrate and leave the area around it darker. Can't imagine it'd be better than the old arcs but maybe a beat up pair could change my mind.

I've asked istvan about it and I think he said tha that is indeed an idea of it. Not necessarily that it disintegrates, but I think if you wear it a long time and you take it off it will leave a darker mark in the shape of the arc!

But you could always just take it off in the first place, I don't think many here are against no arcs when it comes to ooe, Roy, warehouse, csf, etc...

I've always preferred a nice arc to plain though

I don't like the ultrasuede precisely because I feel it doesn't age well, the artificial material is really jarring in light of how all the other elements of the jeans age very organically (copper rivets, iron buttons, belt loops, back pocket edge, etc.) I've seen worn-in pairs with the ultrasuede in different colors and they all looked bad. At least the navy color won't suffer from the ugly color change of the lighter varieties.

That ultra suede is just ugly, plain and simple. Are they doing this indefinitely?

On an unrelated note: I think it's funny you guys consider the 3009 a modern look. They might not be repro jeans, but they are pretty 60s-looking. I guess it depends what you mean by modern. It seems like people are referring to lower rises? Lots of jeans in the 60s were skinny with low rises, especially the late 60s. I actually decided to go back to my roots in terms of fit and picked up the 1002. I look sexy as fuck - Jim Morrison all the way. Just look up photos of your favorite "classic rock" artists and you'll see jeans like that as early as 66-67. 

This is just to say - wider leg fits don't automatically mean they are retro looking (after all, remember the 90s??). I also think it's how you wear them and size them, but that's just me. In my 1002s I can look like a 2016 super future fashion jerk, or like Robert Plant in 1970. Depends on how you rock em. 

Maybe someone obsessed with jeans would be able to easily tell that's a 60's cut, but to someone who doesn't know about it they wouldn't look at the fit and really notice it looks any different than the average jeans fit. Medium rise with a hem on the smaller side, whether it's tight up top or looser is kind of irrelevant, both fits are modern enough i think!

If say, you're searing some baggy 3005, people might think "damn, that dude has some big jeans", although they still probably wouldn't put a historical date to it. Maybe I'm underestimating people's knowledge though...

And yeah, I think this is the new permanent "arc" for domestic jeans!

how do you reconcile your flat head fanaticism with the ultrasuede arcs ben?

you've partly answered it i guess a few posts above, but yes, did your faith waver in the brand because of the ultrasuede?

sometimes this happens with our beloved brands, taking a turn for the wtf. eg, rising sun with the washed stuff all those years ago.

sometimes it's a sign of true decline, sometimes just an aberration.

Isn't it only export models getting the suede? I thought jdm models were retaining the regular arcs.

Edit: I think I have that backwards. Jdm gets the suede, export models keeping "f" int'l arcs.

Edited by SuperJackle

Perhaps someone can ask Kiya if self edge will continue to get the regular arcs?

All Japanese dealers are only getting suede arcuates (starting with this current season) , some international dealers are getting suede and some are getting regular.  At Self Edge we're getting only the regular stitching arcuates.

All Japanese dealers are only getting suede arcuates (starting with this current season) , some international dealers are getting suede and some are getting regular.  At Self Edge we're getting only the regular stitching arcuates.

Phew! I had a feeling you guys would not go for the suede.

how do you reconcile your flat head fanaticism with the ultrasuede arcs ben?

you've partly answered it i guess a few posts above, but yes, did your faith waver in the brand because of the ultrasuede?

sometimes this happens with our beloved brands, taking a turn for the wtf. eg, rising sun with the washed stuff all those years ago.

sometimes it's a sign of true decline, sometimes just an aberration.

To be honest, my fanatacism hasn't really wavered. I definitely prefer the old arcs by a longshot, but really they're just arcs... arcs and patches to me are something that are not insignificant when I don't have the jeans, but when i have the jeans really fall to the wayside. Even compared to my favorite flat head arcs, I don't think an average arc (maybe even one I don't like) would affect my enjoyment of the jeans that much.

Also, like I said, you could just rip off the arcs and then they'll be like any other jeans!

the only recent things I can think of that I don't like are the new arcs, and i also think that the t shirt designs are less inspired now, they don't really have any cool designs on them anymore, it's just "the flat head" written in different fonts or scenarios as the main design. Not sure if that's just in my head though... Oh, also on the studded belts they're making them with only 1 hole now which I also don't like/doesn't make sense... but i already got my studded belt!

I think the quality has been getting better, the shirts still have awesome patterns and fabrics, and wallets designs are getting even better, further widening the distance between FH and other leather makers...

so i'm not too worried yet!

To be honest, my fanatacism hasn't really wavered. I definitely prefer the old arcs by a longshot, but really they're just arcs... arcs and patches to me are something that are not insignificant when I don't have the jeans, but when i have the jeans really fall to the wayside. Even compared to my favorite flat head arcs, I don't think an average arc (maybe even one I don't like) would affect my enjoyment of the jeans that much.

Also, like I said, you could just rip off the arcs and then they'll be like any other jeans!

the only recent things I can think of that I don't like are the new arcs, and i also think that the t shirt designs are less inspired now, they don't really have any cool designs on them anymore, it's just "the flat head" written in different fonts or scenarios as the main design. Not sure if that's just in my head though... Oh, also on the studded belts they're making them with only 1 hole now which I also don't like/doesn't make sense... but i already got my studded belt!

I think the quality has been getting better, the shirts still have awesome patterns and fabrics, and wallets designs are getting even better, further widening the distance between FH and other leather makers...

so i'm not too worried yet!

Well said. I'm pretty covered for the RJB jeans right now and hopefully most western retailers don't get the suede arcs. Having bought several of the latest shirts, I can attest to the quality and designs being as good or better than ever!

Are the jeans we've been talking about just the new flagship denim for RJB? The LHT zimbabwe?

Obviously not the same denim but has the same vibe as all of flat heads denims! I def need some zimbabwe in my life.

Yes this is the RJB flagship denim that was introduced at the end of 2014. LHT Zimbabwe cotton.

Oh hey, folks at Corlection have another TFH/RJB collab out this weekend.

Apparently a 16 oz denim (new?). Not super sure about details.

I think I'll go and have a look.

If the cut works for me I'll probably get them, the last cut was a bit too slim on me 

The details look great and that 16oz denim is amazing 

Trying to decide between TFH horsehide and deerskin black leather jacket to match with my black denim but cannot........can someone enlighten me what the difference is wearing those two types of leather is and which matches more black denim stylewise

Thanks

Personally, I would go horsehide no question. The Flat Head use Shinki horsehide which in my (and many others' opinions) is the best jacket leather in the world. Horse is in general much more durable than deerskin, more lustrous, and ages more uniquely. 

Deerskin really isn't the best choice for a first leather jacket, especially when the other option is Shinki. TFH use a slightly thicker than average Shinki hide, but it is stunningly beautiful. Ben has one and I have seen his a few times in person. It is quite epic and you can learn more from him once he chimes in. Plus, I own two Shinki jackets myself. Horse is more rigid than deer in general, but all the other positives outweigh this.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

mikkade, which model numbers are you looking at? the cafe racer or with a collar?

I think they're both great leathers but I would go horsehide first, it just ages so fucking incredibly. You can't beat flat heads horsehide, it's so tough and beautiful!

i agree with everything else my dude has said!

Wait, what's wrong with side buckles? Those are on leather jackets for a reason, without side buckles (or the leather laces on some FH jackets) you can't adjusted the opening of the jacket, which leads to a sloppy look and possible stretching over time if you do stuff like ride a bike with the jacket zipped up.

Maybe it's just because I'm thin but any time I've had a denim or leather jacket I've needed to tighten the buckles for a good fit.

I think in Ben's case he wouldn't ride in the jacket so the side buckles aren't required.  But I get your point that it is better for customizing the fit for your own body.  I think sometimes the buckles look good and sometimes bad.  Like on a very busy jacket already adding buckles I think makes it look off for my personal tastes.  But for some of TFH's more basic jackets I think the buckles add a bit of interest.

That SRJ-06A jacket is beautiful btw Ben.  That flannel lining is pretty sweet.  I still think this one from SE is my favorite TFH jacket of all time.  I'm just not into the biker aesthetic enough to pull off a black cafe racer.

http://www.selfedge.com/the-flat-head?product_id=1259

Oh, I have no doubt the buckles are more useful. It's impossible for them not to be - if you don't use them at all you're in the same boat as if they were never there, but you at least have that option.

To me though that jacket (and mine) are just so simple that I think it looks better keeping the simplicity. That's why I especially don't like the buckle and seem on the back of that jacket, to me it just ruins the simple and streamlined elegance.

If you you have a jacket with a collar, cuffs on the sleeves, half belt, etc, I think the buckles look great and even better than if there was nothing there, because you're not taking away from the lines of the jacket - it's already a bit busy.

Also, I misspoke, I have the ark-06, not A. But similar nonetheless.

That's a sick jacket Wilson, you don't need to be into the bike aesthetic to pull that one off! Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone would think biker when they look at that jacket, unlike mine. It's a pretty simple halfbelt.