The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I really liked the look of those jeans, but didn't buy them because customs charges would have been too much.

I wonder if one day Rivet & Hide will do a collab with TFH ^_^

I told you guys RJB and FH are really something special!

Mike, Kawatako is not hand-stitched right? To me, that's a huge pull for flat head there. Also, with all these leather brands, imo the designs are just juvenile and all have a a really minimal look, to me in a bad way.

When you look at flat head wallets, the designs are just so beautiful and the lines so organic, that's another thing that I think sets them apart. It doesn't look like every other nice wallet out there, there's a distinct *feel* when you look at the wallet that oozes quality and class.

What do you think?

I know the Kawatako pieces are all advertised as hand-sewn.

But some of them do not appear so...too regular, none of the torsion/tension you'd expect.

I may be wrong though, and I did not ask. 

To be honest, the stitching on TFH's pieces look much better to me. More organic. It feels right. I agree with you Ben!

Compare them side-by-side and it should be apparent. TFH's pieces have a certain soul, a signature feel.

I remember it used to be that Kawatako pieces were attractive because of the leather options, colours, the thickness and the slick edge finish. But waxy bridle and hand-dyed leather on wallets really aren't that uncommon nowadays. For wallets, out of the Japanese repro brands, I would go with TFH.

Going a bit off track, but speaking of Kawatako, I picked up a Kawatako mainline blade belt today at Corlection as well - it was only $60 USD (on sale), so why not?

Fkn8XaA.jpg

A couple of observations:

* Leather that Kawatako uses is much better than the leather on most Japanese denim brands' belts - a high grade Tochigi cattlehide, I think (?). I recognize the hand-feel. Had a Dolce Vita belt made with similar, but lesser grade, leather some years ago.

* The edge burnish is fantastic as always. A bit gummy, but nice & smooth.

* Hardware was nice & solid.

* Slightly lazy in terms of fitting the buckle...cut too wide, the prongs move around too much.

* Value proposition? At RRP I would rather a British oak-bark belt or a proper American horsehide belt. 

Edited by mikecch

I can be totally wrong here but I think I remember reading that Kawatako uses leather from the same tannery that Terry Dear uses. That's why I decided against buying a belt from them some years ago.

Their higher end belts use British harness and higher end wallets use waxy British bridle, yeah. The cheaper stuff use leathers from Italy and Japan.

Measurements here:

http://corlection.com/products/t-f-h-x-r-j-b-x-corl-core-me-2109-slim-tapered-fit-1

The denim is LHT, rope-dyed, unsanforised, 14.25 oz pre-soak. Mildly slubby and irregular, not hairy. Solid, but a very nice hand.

The manufacturing is done by RJB crew. Uses TFH deer patch and top button, rest of hardware is RJB.

Stitching is top notch. Pocket fabric is plain. Hidden rivets.

Fit is slim with taper. Staff member was wearing a pair with 2 washes - looks like it fades well.

Edit:

Can't emphasise enough how nice the denim really is... I was in a room full of Warehouse, Fullcount, Stevenson, TFH, Momotaro, etc... And only this fabric drew me, just had to have it.

I have these as well and they are my favorite fabric too. The only thing I like as much is my PBJ hank-dyed.

I have these as well and they are my favorite fabric too. The only thing I like as much is my PBJ hank-dyed.

I know right.

The only way this could have been improved is with some natural indigo.

After having worn the 66bspbk and now this pair, I'm liking RJB more & more.

TKT is lighter than THC. The fit on the TKTs I have is slimmer than the THCs I have. I think TKT is the successor to THO, which was the summer weight they did for like a season or two a year or so ago. TD and Jacquard shirts are also lighter, like ben said.

I really liked the look of those jeans, but didn't buy them because customs charges would have been too much.

I wonder if one day Rivet & Hide will do a collab with TFH ^_^

We will release a collaboration with Real Japan Blues (sister company to The Flat Head)  around September. It is slim tapered and mid-rise based on the FH 3002 fit but with a stronger knee to hem taper. Indigo pocket arcuates.

Real Japan Blues denim is unique and pretty amazing. The collaboration aims to bring it to our customers in a fit and style they will appreciate.

OKGE27s.jpg

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

We will release a collaboration with Real Japan Blues (sister company to The Flat Head)  around September.

How exciting! Hope you guys ship to Aus.

Will you use a custom denim, or one of their standard fabrics?

We will release a collaboration with Real Japan Blues (sister company to The Flat Head) around September.

Can't wait to see the sizing! Real interested in RJB in a more tapered fit. I got a PBJ jacket a year ago from you guys and it's great.

We will release a collaboration with Real Japan Blues (sister company to The Flat Head)  around September. It is slim tapered and mid-rise based on the FH 3002 fit but with a stronger knee to hem taper. Indigo pocket arcuates.

Real Japan Blues denim is unique and pretty amazing. The collaboration aims to bring it to our customers in a fit and style they will appreciate.

OKGE27s.jpg

SOLD! :D

I will keep eye out, I am hoping it arrives before or after I go on holiday

Your pair is looking great Ben! I'm pretty impressed with how well your cotton stitching has held up, especially in the yolk and back pockets! 

I need to repair my yolk asap, there's a huge hole forming where the stitching is basically gone 

Love your fading and the pattern that its taken on, looking way better than mine IMO. The 3009 on me now is way too slim, its weird as fuck. Next Flat heads will be the 3005 cut for sure 

3005 > 3002 > 3009 IMO, the 3009 has turned out to be a cut i dont like after a year of wear 

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate your accolades!

My jeans have been repaired, so the pockets would be in a much worse condition if they weren't! I don't think the yolk ever needed a repair though!

I felt the same way about the 3009, which is why i bought the 3005. did you gain any weight? I think if I lost a little weight the 3009 would fit me perfectly again, i think its  a great cut for a more modern look.

Shot in the dark, but any bigger guys have measurements for a fully shrunken 3005 in size 38? I've found some in Japan with the old domestic arcs and I kind of want to buy a pair for the future...