The Flat Head

LFC4ever

That's very interesting! Relating to what Kiya said, about there being fakes of every brand, I've been to Central America and have family there and have actually seen fakes of American brands generally thought to be of low quality and often low cost (Aero, American Eagle, etc.) I imagine there it has a lot to do with the perception of what's popular or "held in high esteem" in America.

Whenever I've had family members visit from Central America, they've been shocked at the low price tags on these items, more so that they are authentic.

Just to give an example from the other end of the spectrum.

El Centro in El Salvador has maadddd fakes it's crazy. Where you from fam?

Flathead 5100XX 10th Anniversary Model. Worn on and off for the past few years, but solidly for the past 8 months. Not sure of the number of washes, but a lot (about once every 2 months). Last pics before being washed and shelved in favour of my Samurai S710s. Sorry for the cell phone photos. 

b3ea2444-8a92-41d2-a5da-c67a62e2b2fe_zps

20160526_132227_zpsd0bc8143.jpg

Does anyone know what's the difference in shirt designations between W and WR numbers? For example 7002W and 7002WR? 

W just means it's been washed by The Flat Head, and the R means it's a regular fit. The WR shirts will fit slightly larger in the chest and shoulders.

Thanks guys. I've got a size 40 7002W that fits decently, maybe a little room to spare in the chest and shoulders, but way too long and big in the arms. Debating if I should size down to the 38 in the W or WR version. Leaning towards sticking with the W. 

El Centro in El Salvador has maadddd fakes it's crazy. Where you from fam?

I'm from and have lived in Southern California all my life, but my mom and dad are from El Salvador and Guatemala, I've visited a few times and have had family visit as well.

I love you. Great pickups.. I just recently got that houndstooth too. I think the red/black is maybe the nicest colorway, but I got the brown/black since it's a lot different from my other shirts. Fits super well!

A couple of things I've had for a while:

RJB Kasuri Polo, 38, I bought this used a few months ago:

http://i.imgur.com/3WYVwsa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/q4oG9Yl.jpg

TFH Jacquard T-shirt, M, bought new when it first came out:

http://i.imgur.com/wY7qVwp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zo2UyLG.jpg

Edit: Sorry for tripple post. Wanted to get all the images in (due to post image limit). Even though (on my screen) just the links are showing up still in this last post. I hope I didn't break any rules.

Edited by Claytonimus

I love you. Great pickups.. I just recently got that houndstooth too. I think the red/black is maybe the nicest colorway, but I got the brown/black since it's a lot different from my other shirts. Fits super well!

Hey man, thank you for being one of the best contributors to TFH on the internet. I love displays like this. IMO it is especially useful in showing what a brand like RJB has/had to offer, and giving assistance with sizing. It seems pictures and sometimes information is scarce with RJB, less so with TFH I guess. Hardly any people post pictures like these online.

My pleasure, always happy to share the good stuff!

I agree, mostly it's just discussing the details and fits of new jeans, not something I'm super interested in. I'm still super surprised by how much love other brands get (OOE, Warehouse, Full Count) when really all they do that is worth talking about is jeans. Flat head/RJB are at the top of the game in jeans, shirts, socks, tees, leather jackets, belts, wallets... and still barely any conversation!

Very weird to me

Yep, astonishing that companies producing some of the very best jeans out there get attention on Superdenim!

I disagree that it's only worth talking about WH and FC in terms of their jeans. Both make quality shirts, sweats and tees. Flat Head shirts fit me better than anyone else's and I love what they produce, but it isn't all there is.

I realize it's superDENIM, but I guess for me I'm more interested in things that go with having awesome jeans that age well. Instead of having a bunch of unworn or semi-worn jeans, i'd rather focus on one pair and age it as much as possible, and have a bunch of other cool shirts and a super nice wallet, etc. And that latter part is where flat head really shines, and is why I'm surprised I don't read more stuff about the brand!

I agree with you here: I'm definitely not a denim collector and would much rather wear one or two pairs in rotation and have them well broken-in. I've come to realise that I really dislike starting on a new pair of raw jeans, especially when the alternative is my Canes or Full Count that both have a year's wear notched-up on them. If I'm spending my money, it's going to be on shirts or boots - hence my ever-growing stash of Flat Head gear and Vibergs...

You'll see more talk about Flat Head when the brand rolls into fashion on the boards again. It's just a matter of cycles.

hi ben, allow me to be a smartarse for a bit.

just on superdenim, the fh thread has 370 pages since 2006, fc 116 (2007), warehouse 209 (2009),

ooe 76 (2008).

out of all the brand threads, only ih (379 since 2005) and samurai (782 since 2008) have more pages

than fh.

you joined sufu in 2011.

i've always been flabbergasted why you keep banging on that no one ever talks about fh.

looks to me like you just jumped on the fh bandwagon a bit too late to enjoy all the fh love, mate.

argh text speech  :blink:

Anyway I have got Flathead heavyweight t-shirt and heavy flannel shirt on my shopping list. The detailing like mother of pearl buttons really makes their shirts stand out against other brands.

Claytonimus, where the HECK did you get those 3005s?! Those are some seriously rare NOS jeans right there.

Since I started following SuFu in 2011 or 2012, FH does seem to go in and out of periods of high interest, but 85% of it is directed toward their jeans. I think interest in FH probably peaked in about 2007 for a few reasons. Sidney Lo's jeans were convincing everybody to buy the brand. He was wearing their jeans and shirts in a very sleek, modern looking style that was very, very different from how FH promoted them in Japan (look up his WAYWT photos from that era.) Self Edge was getting in tons of their shirts, which back then were extremely cheap compared to current pricing, and marketing the stuff very well, seems like a bunch of those shirts sold out almost instantly. And nobody had ever seen such a high-contrast jean, which had nice detailing/arcs to boot.

The old-school SuFu style that blended heritage brands like Flat Head and Samurai into a streetwear sort of aesthetic is nearly gone, probably part of the reason for the decline since there are probably more folks into streetwear than more Amekaji style like FH represents. This of course all happened before I got into raw denim via Nudie back in 2009, I just learned about it by reading all these old SuFu threads (there's a Flat Head 3001 thread on here that has much of the early discussion about FH.)

I'm the same as Ben, I love seeing great faded pairs but since I try to wear just one at a time seeing other stuff the brand offers is more fun for me. It's weird, I used to wear almost nothing but FH but I've sold almost all of it off. I'll never get rid of my denim shirt, green flannel, or card case, but most of their line just doesn't fit well on someone with my proportions. I still enjoy seeing it on other people. 

I think that the biggest reason, bar none, why we don't see more of FH's line is because of fit. It looks great on people like Kiya, Ben, and Claytonimus, but you need rather specific proportions to pull it off. It fits most Japanese people fine but is a lot trickier on Westerners. Unfortunately FH's US/European sales of things like shirts are so small that they don't have much motivation to change anything.

I really missed the boat, if I was smart/entrepreneurially minded enough, I would have fastidiously kept and organized the business cards from the sewing and weaving companies I'd visited while I worked for them, and have opened my own made-to-order shirt business where you choose a fabric, details, and specify the fit. Sure, there are a lot of places offering boring oxford shirts like that, but nobody offering something with the quality/fabric/details of Flat Head. I'm telling you guys, there's a killing to be made here.

Edited by Cold Summer

Claytonimus, where the HECK did you get those 3005s?! Those are some seriously rare NOS jeans right there.

Since I started following SuFu in 2011 or 2012, FH does seem to go in and out of periods of high interest, but 85% of it is directed toward their jeans. I think interest in FH probably peaked in about 2007 for a few reasons. Sidney Lo's jeans were convincing everybody to buy the brand. He was wearing their jeans and shirts in a very sleek, modern looking style that was very, very different from how FH promoted them in Japan (look up his WAYWT photos from that era.) Self Edge was getting in tons of their shirts, which back then were extremely cheap compared to current pricing, and marketing the stuff very well, seems like a bunch of those shirts sold out almost instantly. And nobody had ever seen such a high-contrast jean, which had nice detailing/arcs to boot.

The old-school SuFu style that blended heritage brands like Flat Head and Samurai into a streetwear sort of aesthetic is nearly gone, probably part of the reason for the decline since there are probably more folks into streetwear than more Amekaji style like FH represents. This of course all happened before I got into raw denim via Nudie back in 2009, I just learned about it by reading all these old SuFu threads (there's a Flat Head 3001 thread on here that has much of the early discussion about FH.)

I'm the same as Ben, I love seeing great faded pairs but since I try to wear just one at a time seeing other stuff the brand offers is more fun for me. It's weird, I used to wear almost nothing but FH but I've sold almost all of it off. I'll never get rid of my denim shirt, green flannel, or card case, but most of their line just doesn't fit well on someone with my proportions. I still enjoy seeing it on other people. 

I think that the biggest reason, bar none, why we don't see more of FH's line is because of fit. It looks great on people like Kiya, Ben, and Claytonimus, but you need rather specific proportions to pull it off. It fits most Japanese people fine but is a lot trickier on Westerners. Unfortunately FH's US/European sales of things like shirts are so small that they don't have much motivation to change anything.

I really missed the boat, if I was smart/entrepreneurially minded enough, I would have fastidiously kept and organized the business cards from the sewing and weaving companies I'd visited while I worked for them, and have opened my own made-to-order shirt business where you choose a fabric, details, and specify the fit. Sure, there are a lot of places offering boring oxford shirts like that, but nobody offering something with the quality/fabric/details of Flat Head. I'm telling you guys, there's a killing to be made

FH nails it with the 3002 and 3009 in my opinion. There is a lack in the line for a true real slim taper but who cares? I don't think brands should try to be a catch all in terms of fit and fabrics. Keep at what you're good at and be the best.  I love my FH x NF collabs because i like having a more "modern" slim taper that's not carrot esque but thats a rarity.

I think that the biggest reason, bar none, why we don't see more of FH's line is because of fit. It looks great on people like Kiya, Ben, and Claytonimus, but you need rather specific proportions to pull it off.

Pretty much this for me. I'm not a huge guy by any means, but I'm definitely big compared to the guys mentioned above and the way FH shirts fit just don't work for me I think. That's why I've been buying quite a few Iron Heart and Mister Freedom shirts lately, I know they will fit me and I think their fit kind of works better for the western body type. I know if I could consistently find shirts from FH that were more proportioned to my body then I would be buying them left and right. But like Kyle said western market shirt sales are probably just a drop in the bucket at the end of the day for FH. 

hi ben, allow me to be a smartarse for a bit.

just on superdenim, the fh thread has 370 pages since 2006, fc 116 (2007), warehouse 209 (2009),

ooe 76 (2008).

out of all the brand threads, only ih (379 since 2005) and samurai (782 since 2008) have more pages

than fh.

you joined sufu in 2011.

i've always been flabbergasted why you keep banging on that no one ever talks about fh.

looks to me like you just jumped on the fh bandwagon a bit too late to enjoy all the fh love, mate.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but i gotta reply. 

I definitely didn't join/start reading/eve care that much about flat head at it's peak, although I think there was more conversation about it in 2011 too.

But how does looking at that the amount of pages since 2006 make any sense? I'm not talking about 2008/2009 (where I'm guessing it was super popular) i'm talking about NOW, where there's almost as much conversation about TCB, for instance, who offers a handful of things, compared to FH, whose catalogue is really just ridiculously wide. Of course, how much talk of TCB there will be in a couple years, who knows.

I'd love to have gotten into fh earlier to talk about it, but even then I don't think many people were obsessed with shirts, jackets, etc. It was always the jeans.

And lastly, just to defend myself (even though i know you're half kidding), it's not jumping on the bandwagon too late. The wagon doesn't even exist anymore! At least on this forum. And I'm not giving myself credit, it's pretty easy to buy awesome stuff regardless of the chit chat behind it!

Also, brands do fall in and out of favor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current interest stayed toward the current brands. It seems like the most experienced members are interested in brands like WH, FC, etc, and I can't see a random swing to flat head, it just doesn't make sense. And new members aren't really coming to superfuture anymore, while reddit (god help us all) has insane activity. They'll at least have to work their way up from unbranded/NF, but even then I don't think sufu will get them to sign up and then they'll happen to talk about fh here.

I've been a member since 2009 and lurked occasionally since about 2005. I have 7 FH shirts (sold another that came up too small) and a t-shirt. I've had 3 pairs of jeans, wore one until the knees wore through (pesky kids!) and sold the other 2 as the cut (F350/1005) was a little too low rise for my liking.

I really like their shirts (they fit me better than IH), they have interesting fabrics and are well-made and I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. I don't post on here often as the thread is a bit dry and frankly, uninspiring, despite some of the nice clothing on show, I feel similarly about the Samurai thread (I've never owned anything from them though). I find the fun, interesting threads are TCB, Warehouse, Ooe comp and a few others. I'm not one for posting photos either so I prefer the more banter-oriented threads. My favourite jeans are Ande Whall and I've banged his drum (awaits double entendres...) as he's a small, one-man outfit and could do with extra business, although I think people get a bit sick of hearing it. People will post because they want to, not because someone moans that no-one posts there and tries to cajole them into it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say let it happen and people will post if they feel motivated or inspired to do so. In the meantime, enjoy the clothes and the air of exclusivity they have, knowing what others are missing out on!