The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Got my FH shortsleeve. It's awesome, made me realize again how great FH is. The fabric (selvage!) feels heavy and very substantial while being soft and breathy. More sturdy than my other FH shortsleeve. The weave and colour is awesome and I love the fit. I might take away some of the arm length by a tailor - what do you think?

Oh, just realized that it shows a lot of skin with the top button open and without tee underneath. That could be a disappointment.

25417389414_fa78acb94e_h.jpg

25749290910_d42414742e_h.jpg

25749292320_c95bf4a0f5_h.jpg

25955756871_76f1f3e44c_h.jpg

25417396814_a065ea1548_h.jpg

25996191346_8cfecad7c1_h.jpg

Edited by Max Power

I think it looks good Max.  It would look awkward with the sleeves any shorter.  I really love those short sleeves but I just don't know how much use I'd be able to get out of it.  It only is in the high 60/low 70s for like 3 weeks here in Ohio then it ramps up to the mid 80's and then back down to the 40's.

Got my FH shortsleeve. It's awesome, made me realize again how great FH is. The fabric (selvage!) feels heavy and very substantial while being soft and breathy. More sturdy than my other FH shortsleeve. The weave and colour is awesome and I love the fit. I might take away some of the arm length by a tailor - what do you think?

Oh, just realized that it shows a lot of skin with the top button open and without tee underneath. That could be a disappointment.

That fit looks perfect, i would just wear it without a tee underneath though, don't be afraid to show off that sexy chest.  

You could always get a nice necklace to wear under the shirt to increase chest sexiness.  (1)

do you know if that shirt is done in any other colors?

That wine is actually my second favorite colorway.  They have a really pretty almost "Michigan colors" of yellow / royal blue.  That one is really sharp.

Cross-posting from WAYWT because I picked this flannel up about a month back and haven't posted any pictures yet:

26063614316_776bf7c473_c.jpg

I had my eye on this ''light nel'' flannel for some time before I bought it. I like Flat Head's wilder fabrics too but it's good to have some basics in the collection. Super comfortable, easy to wear and just the right weight for when the temps drop a little in my neck of the woods.

Got some new jeans this weekend. Customer at SEPDX bought some 3009's, and they shrunk too much. Cool thing is that the top button popped off, and it was repaired by Tyler using an Iron Heart button. It's one of my favorite things about the jeans.

kz8paRK.jpg

hC6XddM.jpg

lsIJqLC.jpg

It's weird that that missizing would happen in person when you consider how much info and pics there are of pioneer denim shrinkage, and imo a shame they didn't use a flat head button since I think they're nicer, but great everything worked out for you!

Fit looks good too from what I saw in the waywt

Edited by itsbenhere

Got some new jeans this weekend. Customer at SEPDX bought some 3009's, and they shrunk too much. Cool thing is that the top button popped off, and it was repaired by Tyler using an Iron Heart button. It's one of my favorite things about the jeans.

I am assuming you work at SE? I got my flatheads about a month ago at SELA, and I have to say the guy helping had an embarrassing amount of knowledge. I hope this isn't the case at SEPDX. As I was trying on different models of Flat Heads, he told me they only really shrank length wise, everything else would remain basically the same. Anyone who knows anything about Flat Head pioneer denim knows they shrink a ton in all dimensions. If this customer came into SELA and had the same guy helping him out who helped me out, I am sure he would have made the same mistake, and it really is too bad. I hope you guys gave him a refund or something, because when people are coming in and dropping a ton of money on jeans, I would hope that the people in the store have enough knowledge to help people not make that mistake. I understand that some customers can't be swayed in their decision, and it is their fault sometimes, but I know for sure if they guy was at SELA with the same guy who helped me, he would have made the same mistake. 

I am not trying to bash SE at all, it just sucks to hear that a customer came into the store and still wasn't able to get fitted correctly. I hope he was given a refund or something! 

For advice on denim, it seems like you're safe knowing two things as an employee giving advice:

1. Sanforized denim doesn't shrink and you can make a slimmer fit work and be comfortable

2. Unsanforized denim does shrink, and the waist can go back to presoak. But if you start out with a slim unsanforized fit, you're not going go have a comfortable pair of jeans that you actually want to wear.

Blows my mind that people selling these expensive things don't know that.

Very true. on the other hand, I hang out at my local shop a lot and you wouldn't believe how many people ask for the slimmest fit possible, not listening to your advice to go for a loose fit to account for some shrinkage.

Edited by Max Power

I don't work for SE, I'm just a friend of the store, and a regular customer. I really don't know the whole story behind the pants, but Jon (and at the time, Tyler) definitely know what they're doing when it comes to sizing. I have to assume it was a customer error or they changed their mind or something.

Very true. on the other hand, I hang out at my local shop a lot and you wouldn't believe how many people ask for the slimmest fit possible, not listening to your advice to go for a loose fit to account for some shrinkage.

I think it happens in all businesses where customers come in thinking they know more than the people who get paid to be there.  Hell I can't count the amount of times I sold $3k+ computers to little old ladies at Best Buy to dial into AOL when I told them they should just buy a $800 rig (this was years ago when $800 was considered a cheap computer) because they don't need all these bells and whistles.  But nope they needed a top end computer to check their email.  And don't get me started when they brought in their 12 year old nephew who was a computer wiz because one time he installed some RAM.

^i am that kind of magician myself.........

so far i havn't encountered an awful lot of customers knowing it better than i do... i think mostly it's about the way they "see", or better, imagine themselves. or how their wifes want them to look like.... not kidding..... today slim or even skinny is the new thing, and hell i don't give a damn. it looks silly though, most of the time. but we all know, that a slim tapered japanese jeans looks like a regular straight cut on some 38 & 40 waists, or at least they appear to look like these...

@ben: from my point it doesn't matter if the denim is sanforized or unsanforized for a great slim fit. if the sizing is correct, and the cut works with the body, than unsanforized will be as comfortable as sanforized.

It's weird that that missizing would happen in person when you consider how much info and pics there are of pioneer denim shrinkage, and imo a shame they didn't use a flat head button since I think they're nicer, but great everything worked out for you!

Fit looks good too from what I saw in the waywt

I actually really like Iron Heart's hardware.  Not sure I'd want them on my TFH's but the hardware is solid.

I don't like IH's buttons because they feel like plastic, flat heads are iron which imo are nicer.

And nemo, I mean that if you try on jeans for the first time and they're slim, if they're unsanforized you're not going to get a good fit. If you try them on for the first time, but they're sanforized, you can make that fit work.

I don't like IH's buttons because they feel like plastic, flat heads are iron which imo are nicer.

I have to say I don't agree with the first part of this.  If anything my Flat Head buttons feel a bit less substantial than the Iron Heart hardware.  They're both nice and I personally think the bulky hardware of IH would look a bit out of place on my Flat Heads but I never got the impression IH's hardware felt cheaper in any way.

To me it's always the same differences, Iron heart uses thicker patches, but I personally feel that Flat Head's patches feel nicer and are a nicer leather. Iron Heart uses thicker/heavier hardware, but I still feel like the iron hardware is nicer. Just an opinion. Thought I'd share with you guys another thing...

CjKYoJn.jpg?1

Denim jacket is coming along nicely too!

5c09gx7.jpg?1

Ng2NWks.jpg?1

Some recent photos of my old Wabash (as I want to sell it over at IHF - haven't worn it much the last years. Although it's hard to part).

Very nice! How much and what size?