The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Anyone happen to have post soak measurements BIG style on a size 36 3009? I'm thinking of getting a pair or a size 38 1002/3002/8002...

I have yet to thank a few members here for helping me out with FH questions through pm: itsbenhere, karanimal, DFreshleish, and Broark for advice on how to size the FH dual strand leather bracelet.

I have both the 1005 in 36 and 3009 in 36 (3005 will come later). I have yet to soak/wash either one, but they are both wonderful fitting jeans, different from one another to be sure though. Love the 3009 cut (raw), but don't suspect it will be much different after a wash and post stretch.

Karanimal has a 36 3009 and according to him everything pretty much stretched back out to raw measurements (except inseam), and Ben's post here:

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/159539-flat-head-x-rjb-signet-collabcontest/page-13

seems to concur with that for his sizes (well, at least the stretch for the same denim in the 3005).

So perhaps just focussing on the raw measurements might serve you well enough. Otherwise I can tell you that pretty much all the size charts I've seen for the 36 3009 are pretty much spot on.

Some detail pics of my new pair. Of course miles away from MaxP's pair  :D

Nearly my favorite detail are the raised back pockets. Not too many brands feature this detail. Warehouse does and I love it  :D

23911163354_8423538357_z.jpg

I love this detail too. I wasn't sure if it's a common detail or not, but it looks amazing as time goes on. You just got to make sure you wear them ;)

7p7QjsQ.jpg

That's definitely not a bad idea... a few reasons:

1. I have this pair! It'll be worn for at least another year as my every day. So really, I don't need any extra jeans. Also, the 3005 is extant, and there are other things that I would rather spend my money on. Particularly shirts....

2. I dislike any "crossover" in terms of my wardrobe, so it seems weird to me to have two of the same jeans. But I really do like these, for sure. I might be kicking myself down the road when I can't get any without that ultrasuede detail.

Mainly, I don't like the idea of having jeans "on ice", it's not as fun as when you get them and see if they fit and then wear them forever. The only time I'll buy jeans when I know I'm not going to wear them much are when they are a one-off and fill out my very specific requirements for any incoming jeans!

I can get behind that philosophy Ben. I get pretty bummed out having raw jeans just hanging in my wardrobe so I'm holding off buying any new pairs until my Canes have been given a beating and I have a genuine need for something else (99% certain they'll be Warehouse). In the meantime there are boots and shirts to be enjoyed. Got a new TFH shirt incoming from 2nd actually...

Well guys, I went to SELA and ended up getting the 3012 in size 33. The jeans are so much bigger than my momo's in every area it freaks me out! Pre soak they are basically too big everywhere, but I am hoping after a hot agitated soak (or two) they will shrink up really well. First pair of unsanforized, glad they are Flat Heads!

Edited by KPJ

To get all the shrinkage out of the Flat Head Pioneer denim, it's strongly recommended that you go a step further than a soak and actually put them through a machine wash (inside out, delicate cycle, warm but not scolding hot, no detergent). This helps avoid any surprises further down the line and you can get the fit you want. Flat Head denim is crazy dark, so you won't lose any indigo nor crispness.

So last night I soaked them in super hot water (the hottest that would come out of my tub, is was really really hot). I hand agitated them for 15 minutes (5 mins on, 5 mins off, etc), so a 30 minute total soak. I was pretty rough with them during this soak, like pretty darn rough. You think I should still throw them in the washing machine? I was honestly thinking of doing another hot agitated soak (the same kinda I did the previous night), I figured that would do the same thing as the washing mashing? Also, I don't know how to turn off the spin cycle on my washing machine, and I have heard bad things about jeans going through the wash after the spin cycle. You guys literally just through them in (by themselves) on a hot delicate wash and that's it? Do you take them out early?

Nothing agitates a jeans better than a washing machine ;) And unless your machine is really old, a normal wash and low spin cycle won't do any harm. It's probably worse with top loaders because their agitators are rougher on clothes, but modern front loading machines don't ruin jeans. 

Don't overthink it would be my advice. Personally I turn all my denim inside out and just put them in the washing machine, 30° or 40°C, low spin cycle (this means 600rpm with our machine). Then air dry, one because we don't have a dryer and secondly because I don't like how clothes feel when they've gone through the dryer. I shrunk my F380s with one machine wash and gave them another a week later just to make sure all shrinkage was out, couple of washes every few months since then. Nothing bad has happened to them by doing this.

I think that you can still shrink them by using a machine with hot water.

I wash by themselves in the hottest water my machine offers, on either a normal or heavy duty setting, but definitely never delicate. The spin cycle is on, and in fact the jeans are stuck to sides of the machine when I pull them out, that's how fast it spins.

I've never had any streaks on my denim, and I have a theory that that is only going to happen when you're washing stupidly heavy ounce denim that can't move, but is instead always creased thanks to it's thickness. Since Flat Head's denim is a normal 14.5 oz, I don't think it's a problem... Also why I recommend soaking the jeans before hand for like 5 minutes to make sure that they don't go into the washing machine with pre-set creases.

Note that my washing machine is a top loading with no agitator.

I think that you can still shrink them by using a machine with hot water.

I wash by themselves in the hottest water my machine offers, on either a normal or heavy duty setting, but definitely never delicate. The spin cycle is on, and in fact the jeans are stuck to sides of the machine when I pull them out, that's how fast it spins.

I've never had any streaks on my denim, and I have a theory that that is only going to happen when you're washing stupidly heavy ounce denim that can't move, but is instead always creased thanks to it's thickness. Since Flat Head's denim is a normal 14.5 oz, I don't think it's a problem... Also why I recommend soaking the jeans before hand for like 5 minutes to make sure that they don't go into the washing machine with pre-set creases.

Note that my washing machine is a top loading with no agitator.

I've washed my jeans every time in my front-loader washing machine inside out on high heat, spin and with normal Tide detergent.  Regardless of the weight, length of wear or anything I've never gotten the fabled washing machine creases or streaks.

I get it, I'd be really bummed if I had big streaks down my jeans. But follow our advice and you won't, and you'll also not have to worry about more shrinkage. I'd be interested to see the measurements after the hot soak vs. after the hot wash, just to confirm my thoughts. Probably easiest to just look at inseam length

Alright guys, I kinda took all of your advice and combined them. This is what I just did: Went outside and sprayed them with a hose to get them wet and malleable. I then threw them in the wash, regular, hot, no ending spin cycle. I also put it on rinse plus because I figured it wouldn't hurt to make sure they are thoroughly soaked. They are in there now, crossing my fingers that nothing bad happens. If so you guys can pool some money together to get me a new pair :D.

And sorry ben I didn't measure before I threw them in the washer.  

So The Flat Head wabash is really tempting me.

Trying to decide if a 44 WR would work or should I look into the 48 I've seen at 2nd.

I know, those are kind of big size discrepancies. I only have one Flat Head shirt being the spring weight buffalo check flannel. It fits great in the chest and the shoulders, but the body is a bit too tapered for my beer belly.

I wish 2nd would just post some measurements. In an ideal world I think if a 46WR existed I would go for it.

Or should I just give up on finding a FH shirt that works for me? Leaning toward it. :D

So The Flat Head wabash is really tempting me.

Trying to decide if a 44 WR would work or should I look into the 48 I've seen at 2nd.

I know, those are kind of big size discrepancies. I only have one Flat Head shirt being the spring weight buffalo check flannel. It fits great in the chest and the shoulders, but the body is a bit too tapered for my beer belly.

I wish 2nd would just post some measurements. In an ideal world I think if a 46WR existed I would go for it.

Or should I just give up on finding a FH shirt that works for me? Leaning toward it. :D

The diamond & dots wabash?  I'd recommend sizing up.  My 38 TFH HNW-52W's (aka the Western heavy winter flannel) fit like a perfect glove @ 38 but my 38 TFH Wabash doesn't close well due to the chest so I generally have to leave it open.  So if you're between sizes I'd high recommend getting the bigger one.

What's the general consensus here about sizing difference between PBJ and TFH ? I wear a size 27 xx005 and I was about to order the 3001 in the same size but I have been told to size up one.

Looking at Rivet & Hide size chart, if I compare size 28 (they don't stock 27 for neither 3001 nor xx005) the measurements are roughly the same (only 0.15" smaller in the thighs for the 3001). Another model for comparison would be the momotaro 0701, 28 was a bit big unfortunately so 27 would also most likely be my size if they made it.

These are popular cuts so if someone has both to compare ;).