The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I'd imagine so. The trend now (and I admittedly succumbed to it) is really slim/tight jeans that basically hug your leg. However, i'm trying to move away from that to one where it isn't as restrictive. It is hard to strike a balance between the slim/tight jeans and a cut that is basically straight. What is the ideal fit in your opinion? Maybe with some photos so that I can see it and see if it would work for me as well.

I agree with hotwashing upfront, I think a few even recommended throwing it in the washing machine for a hot wash on a low spin cycle as TFH denim are quite resilient. Some people wear their jeans for the first X months then have to give them up after washing them as they've become basically denim castrators (pardon the crude language but it is mostly true).

Fit is obviously really subjective, but imo these are perfect.

Kyle's D105 (same as 105BSP)

Z9JvIGw.jpg

My 3005

hOFbO7C.jpg

8QYXvJA.jpg

Note that those are both after being washed too, not just dunked in water.

Yeah I tend to gravitate more towards the slim top block and then straight from the knee -- even though my TFH are slim/tapered.  Like I prefer the 05 cut on TSG compared to the 09 cut.  My PBJ 005 cut is probably my favorite jeans I have in my closet which is slim-straight.

1015 is similar to the 1005 (16 oz, straight fit, button fly) but it's described as a "Biker's Straight" fit so there may be slightly more room in the seat and hip. Not sure. It does have reinforced poly/cotton doubled stitching around the pocket edges, which has since been applied to other FH models.

Honestly I can't tell any difference between the 14.5 and 16 oz. denim, aside from the weight. The weave, dye, etc. all seems to be exactly the same and they fade the same, as best as I can tell. I'm guessing the 18 oz. is the same, just slightly heavier. Don't know. The 5000 series denim has less aggressive vertical fading and a lighter overall color, closer to a "vintage" style of denim. RJB's Zimbabwe cotton denim is the biggest outlier, it has a different weave (almost herringbone in its pattern, not too unlike Strike Gold's 5100 denim) and its fade is more powdery blue than electric blue, but still with strong contrast.

Ben covered everything else. Honestly the 14.5 oz Pioneer denim from the 3000 series jeans is my favorite too, since it's best for all season wear.

Honestly I don't think Flat Head's denims really vary *that* much except for the weights. If you look at RJB denim, different kinds of Flat Head denim, and all variants of the brand, they kind of all have the same look. Dyed really deep and beautifully streaky after a lot of wear and washes. Of course if you choose not to wash them they can also look like a very contrasty greasy mess...

Personally, I don't see a huge point in owning all types of their denim since to me they seem really similar. I'd say go with the pioneer denim if you haven't had any experience with the brand; of course, if you really like the idea of heavier denim, I think you could safely try the other types and be pleased with how they develop, provided you like how the pioneer denim fades.

Late response but thanks for the help guys. Edited by spaceghostcoast2coast

In that case dwilson123, you'd probably like the 3001, 1001, or F310 since those are all narrow straight fits of the same type as the PBJ 005.

Yeah I know I consciously made the decision to get the tapered cut since my last jeans were my PBJ 005's.  I wanted to change it up and see how I like the look.  And my conclusion is I prefer straights ... but not enough to replace the jeans I currently am wearing.

And I'll probably put another year on my PBJ 24-005 once I'm done with these TFHs

What kind of thigh/leg shrinkage should I expect on a pair of 3009s? They look massive considering the rest of the fit, imo, on the Self Edge site.

I'm a TTS 31 but, judging from the waist size, I should probably opt for a tagged 32 from the waist.

Edited by ReverendGlasseye

@itsbenhere I'll try to track them down!

I'm basically looking for a fit with ~11-11.5 thigh and like around a slightly smaller leg (~"7.0-8.0) leg with a "10.5-11 rise. In essence, a slightly slimmer fit than my SC Okis in a tagged 31.

Presently, a size 30 Warehouse 800 would fit the bill perfectly but I'm a big fan of TFH's aesthetic and details. 

In an ideal world, I would drop by Blue in Green and SENY and compare the fits in person. lol

What kind of thigh/leg shrinkage should I expect on a pair of 3009s? They look massive considering the rest of the fit, imo, on the Self Edge site.

I'm a TTS 31 but, judging from the waist size, I should probably opt for a tagged 32 from the waist.

General rule (I believe) for 3XXX denim from FH is buy the raw waist size that fits you perfectly. 3XXX denim will stretch back out in no time. I bought a tagged 33 SE05BSP (raw @ 34) and they shrunk 1.5" but have since stretched to 35". Get the rest of the jean to fit you and you'll make the waist work.

SE05BSP:

23106442463_2f877d114d_c.jpg

I went up a size in mine and I wouldn't recommend any lower.  They're still pretty tight in the waist when I wash them.  Maybe even more technically I went up 2 sizes.  I wear a 30 in *most* brands but I got a 32 in TFH.  But that is mainly because it seems like TFH doesn't size accounting for shrink (eg; TFH 32 has a 32 waist but PBJ 30 has a 32 waist for shrink.)

^ Thanks. Do you happen to have any comparison fit pics of both? How would you describe the differences in fit/denim?

Also random question: I've seen tons of heavily faded/worn pairs of the 3001, 1001, and F310 but haven't really seen any worn in 3009's. Curious as to why that is.

Fit is obviously really subjective, but imo these are perfect.

Kyle's D105 (same as 105BSP)

Z9JvIGw.jpg

My 3005

hOFbO7C.jpg

8QYXvJA.jpg

Note that those are both after being washed too, not just dunked in water.

Fits are really good! I think my ideal would be something like Kyle's, a little slimmer than yours. Any recommendations on which model would be something like that? Thanks Ben!

The pics of my fit on those jeans can be a little misleading, because I'm really tall and even loose fits can look slim on me. Those jeans are a good fit in the hip/seat/top thigh but the leg was always a little looser than I prefer, even for wearing with boots... I miss them but ultimately my S0500xx are probably a better fit on me.

With my old size 34 I got 2" in the waist, 0.5" in the top thigh and maybe 0.25" at the leg opening.  I found them to be a bit small in the hip and mid thigh and as they were something like 38" inseam, they were the wrong side of 8" at the leg opening when I got them hemmed down to 32" 

Got my two TFH HNW-52W's in yesterday.  I'm sure anyone whos been to self edge has seen the brown and moss green colorways but I actually like them in person way more than I liked the pictures online.  I love the more muted colors than the brighter stuff they've been putting out lately.

size the 3009 correctly, and call it a day. Or size up the 3002. good luck

Thanks alot.

The pics of my fit on those jeans can be a little misleading, because I'm really tall and even loose fits can look slim on me. Those jeans are a good fit in the hip/seat/top thigh but the leg was always a little looser than I prefer, even for wearing with boots... I miss them but ultimately my S0500xx are probably a better fit on me.

Thanks, i'll take it into consideration!

So I've just ordered a pair of 3002 and was wondering if they are exactly the same cut as the SE05BSP?

Close,

SE05BSP has slightly larger waist band and longer inseam