The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Here's an update on my 2111s, just under three months' real wear time!

Damn I'm just about at that same point and you're far further faded

Cheers. I'll get around to posting my pair pretty soon. Somewhere in the same area as you two. The whiskering is my favorite part as well.

I'm packing for a move from New York to California this week, and I stumbled across these things: white leather Googies sneakers, size 9.5. They're pretty incredible, but I find that I *never* wear them. If anyone's interested, send me a PM because I'm willing to let them go for very little. I just need some extra cash for the move (foot not included). 4055670B-4987-4DF5-AABB-E1511F1D083D_zps

Hey guys, I'm doing a quick spotlight on reddit.com/r/rawdenim for The Flat Head and i could use some SuFu help. If anyone has any images of their favorite flat head fades post them here and I will be putting them in a fade album for the writeup.

Thanks guys.

I'll link you some pictures from the flat head contest on selvedgeforum there are some absolutely insane pairs there 

Guys, don't forget: very faded jeans =/= jeans that look good.

that said...

Hey dudes,

Thought I'd share a sweet faded pair of 3001s from amongst the office samples.  These have been washed a bunch, really bringing out the great vertical fading texture - but the contrast is also really good. Aside from re-sizing and cropping, the photos haven't been edited at all, the colors are all very true to life.

HgkG04v.jpg

VTE17Xd.jpg

d3qEeSs.jpg

xFqhv65.jpg

BHddimN.jpg

Finally, a close-up shot of the denim.  I love this stuff.

Hbv9WXb.jpg

and the jeans that inspired me to get a pair of flat heads....

Did some photo shooting while they were in San Francisco.
They're being sent off to Superstar today.
We're about to hit the FIVE YEAR mark on this tour and they've been repaired by SESF, SENY, and Flat Head in Nagano, Japan.

FH_WORLDTOUR_01.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_04.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_07.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_08.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_09.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_10.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_11.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_12.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_13.jpg
FH_WORLDTOUR_14.jpg

but is it worth it to even do a writeup on reddit? I'm all about flat head and spreading the gospel but from what i've seen people there would rather wear nf/3sixteen/insertcheapestbrandhere.

From my PM to CMBOLAND, figured the pics would look great here anyways 

Before i purchased my pair of 3009 i was stumbling around selvedge forum and found their PROXFH05 contest thread. The most insanely faded flat heads are definitely in here. 

Here's some of my favs, 

Upcaps 

dsc_0177.jpg

dsc_0137.jpg

dsc_0168.jpg

dsc_0150.jpg

Kribc

dsc_8719-2.jpg

dsc_8717-1.jpg

Fascinated

img_2459.jpg

0img_2460.jpg

Hopefully this helps, i know its just one model of flat heads but it really got me into what flat heads can do and it keeps me motivated on my pair for the DWC

EDIT: MY GOD THAT WAS WAY MORE DIFFICULT THAN NECESSARY 

Continued below for my favourite pair, different from the Self Edge pairs but i really like how these look, i feel like i won't even be able to manage the contrast and grimy look that these pairs haave 

Edited by karanimal

Continued, 

BALL213

4zn8R0.jpg

T6Uizj.jpg

5e71kA.jpg

ocakVs.jpg

And then he posted these earlier, i think these are after a wash but I'm not sure tbh...

dsc_1286-1.jpg

dsc_1322-1.jpg

dsc_1313-1.jpg

I understand some of you won't like this style but IDGAF, to me they are insane and really shows off the fading potential of TFH

TFH offers a denim that can be for anyone, for the 'noobs' on r/rawdenim that want the insane contrast that these develop after a year or so without washing or very minimal washing.  They also react amazingly to frequent washings such as the pairs that ITSBENHERE shared.  Its what makes me feel that The Flat Head is probably the brand that I'm going to own multiple pairs of, maybe even same models, but treat each pair differently because of the diversity that you can see in pairs based on wear and washing methods 

Edited by karanimal

Not my cup of tea, but I do appreciate the work that has been put into them.

But do the thais/SEA people pinch their denim? I have never seen the thigh fades like they do, and they're always skin tight denim. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Not my cup of tea, but I do appreciate the work that has been put into them.

But do the thais/SEA people pinch their denim? I have never seen the thigh fades like they do, and they're always skin tight denim. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I think it has to do with the way thai (most south-east asian people) sit. They do a full squat, they do it everywhere. Its ass to grass basically and i think thats why they have such insane combs and the lines on the thighs because each time they do that it stretches the denim to an extreme level. 

I have no science to back this up other than my experiences in the countries. Everyone sits like it, on curbs, in bars at small tables, playing cards in the street, I've even seen someone perched in their trademark squat on the ledge of a cruise ship (my mind was blown) 

it looks like this, but with jeans on. Their flexibility is absolutely insane 

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1401/867214701_dcd8ede195_b.jpg

Flat head denim really does have an amazing diversity in the types of fades. I know that it's subjective and I shouldn't be a dick, but I'm just determined to believe that my way is the right way because:

1. These jeans are meant to evoke the look and feel of old jeans, and old jeans didn't look like that.

2. The very contrasty pairs happen by not washing your jeans ever. It's weird to not wash your jeans ever.

3. The president of the Flat head has jeans that DO NOT look like that. I'd imagine that the president and founder of a company has an idea of what he wants the jeans to look like, and that idea probably comes through in his very own jeans.

4. We talk shit on contrasty and unnaturally faded jeans and I can point out many pairs of jeans that are not as offensive to the eye when compared to those from these southeast asian peeps.

And finally, I wish I had a pair of flat heads way earlier than when I first bought them so I could have an amazing pair now, but flat head was actually one of the first jean brands I wrote off because I thought the shit looked ugly.

I've really got to get another pair of Flat Head jeans at some point.

I own the 2111's and something about the cut just isn't right for me, I did wear them for awhile but the 20 oz. denim is difficult for me to wear year round in Texas. I feel like I put maybe 6 months of wear into them and didn't really see much happen. But it was probably because I wasn't washing very frequently.

I'd love another SExFH pair at some point with some navy or indigo arcs, or just some little different details.

and the jeans that inspired me to get a pair of flat heads....

but is it worth it to even do a writeup on reddit? I'm all about flat head and spreading the gospel but from what i've seen people there would rather wear nf/3sixteen/insertcheapestbrandhere.

@itsbenhere - The spot lights and recent theme weeks on the subreddit are designed to bring light to brands that are not typically talked about on the subreddit. SO by drawing hard attention to the flathead for a week then in another week be it samurai or something it helps to bring more info to the noob crowd. There is currently 25k suscribers to the rawdenim subreddit which is absolutely insane. Sure, i do agree that the demographic is young and tends to flock to what you mentioned but then again SuFu has its own thing too. I'm just happy to contribute to both and im excited to share more of my favorite brand to them.

@karanimal - You're a legend!

Bro, get some 3005s. They'll probably be perfect for you... I know you want something with different details but the original details are just too damn good and a loose cut will make it easier on you in Texas.

Yeah the 3005 looks like a really nice straight leg cut, I'd likely go that route or the 3009.

Both seem very nice! And you're probably right with The Flat Head, can't really go wrong with the original specs either.

Now only if they made their type II in a 36...

Been eyeing the 3009 a lot lately too, looks like it would shrink to a perfect fit for me. Now to figure out how to convince the gf I need another pair...

Buddy. /u/NKG1 is selling one in your size for damn cheap

http://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/comments/39tbsb/buy_sell_trade_june_14th/cs6bu0x

Edited by cmboland

Ffs, going to PM him. But really do like have a nice crisp pair of denim..

Honestly he's been trying to sell them over a year. I'd shoot him $120

I'm a fan of the all over print pocket bags. I think that's a pretty fun piece of design and sits well with the brand. What I'm not too keen on though is the new, brighter stitching on the pockets that they've introduced this year which makes them look more like Iron Heart or Joe McCoy. Just can't get behind stitching that is so loud.

I love looking at the contrast on those rarely-washed, faded pairs, it just jumps out at you and is certainly not something you see everyday, unlike regularly washed pairs. I admire the dedication and perseverance of those who tread this path as I could never do it. I'm a frequent-ish washer and far to old to do the contrast thing but I still think "Wow!" when I see some of those pairs.

Flat Heads pocket bags completely work with the brand, it's all about in your face excess and it makes them more unique and interesting. I love them! You already know this, but if you want understated, get some warehouse or something. Plus, you never see pocket bags as you've said...

That's funny SM, I bought mine right before that happened and I wish that mine had the new stitching. Like with the pocket bags, just makes them even more "flat head" to me!

FH has used the logo-printed pockets for years, not on every model, but it certainly isn't unusual or new.  

I really like the vertical fading and textured color you get from frequently-washed Flat Heads, but I also like the strong contrast and dynamic color you can get from washing less often.  So I usually wait a while before the first wash then do them once every 1-2 months after that, I find this gets the best of both worlds.  

The 2111 and 3009 are very similar cuts.  I wouldn't call either of them slim, they have way more room in the top than the 3002/BSP/3001/F310, with a moderate taper from the knee to hem.  

The "bolder" stitching around the back pockets is mostly from the new technique they use where they blend a poly/cotton thread in there for reinforced strength (one thread is yellow, the other orange.)  My 2111s have this detail and the thicker arcs on the back pocket - I really like this look but I've always preferred a little bit bolder branding than most guys on here.

Sorry for the neg rep, I was scrolling on my phone. Does Flat Head use the 2111 fit on any thing other than the 20oz denim? On paper this would be the best fit for me but this model is a) hard to find and b ) pretty damn expensive.

Edited by cusswords

http://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/comments/3au6fk/brand_spotlight_the_flat_head/Here's a link to the post. It's a quick and dirty jump into what The Flat Head offers jeans wise. I don't have the time or energy to get into anything else than jeans. Do you all approve?