The Flat Head

LFC4ever

A brief scan through the Flat Head and Strike Gold threads suggests to me that the SG 1xxx series denim has pretty standard stretch for unsanforised 14oz, but that the FH Pioneer denim while it shrinks quite a bit stretches less. Does this sound about right?

For people who have / wear both, are you wearing Flat Head a size above your Strike Gold? 
Cheers

(Cross posted across SG / FH threads ..)

1 size up for flat head sounds about right. I wear a 36 in the 3002 and I would be a 35 in the 1109 if they made it. 34 is a bit too small and 36 is a bit too large. 

Quick question I have a Flathead early works tshirt,fits spot on in a 42 even though im a 39 inch chest.. do all TFH tee's fit the same? looking to buy a plain white THC-00 model.

Yes, all THC t shirts fit the same.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

Crappy phone pics...but 3005 at 7 months 15 washes.  Currently sitting on the table as example number one, when I'm called upon to solve disputes where one party believes that jeans should be washed when they are dirty, and the other thinks they should be put in the freezer.

4024FA31-57B3-499A-84FF-EFAAC58E8C64.jpg

892BB366-3011-4755-88DE-9D4C5F461458.jpg

"Put your jeans in a freezer? Oh yeah, that's cool!  I do that too!  Guests at my house LOVE IT! when I make them cocktails with ice that's been infused with my taint odor and bacteria!"

i could be wrong (i wash my jeans), but i believe that freezer lore provides that you place the jeans into a freezer bag prior to putting them into the freezer

Yes, and anyone "doing it right" would do that, but I promise you, that step isn't nearly as integral to the process as you'd hope it would be.

The only reason why people are told not to wash their jeans from higher ups in the industry has to be because the denim is so shitty that if it was washed as much as it should be, there would be no character and the jawn-copper would be pissed. Keep in mind that the alternative is actually an ugly pair of highly contrasting jeans that smell disgustingly and make you look like an idiot.

Flat heads denim is the epitome of nice denim, and you legitimately do it a disservice by not washing it very often. I think the hallmark of high quality is that you can wash it inordinate amounts (normal by anyone else's standards) and the denim will still look unique, beautiful, and resemble nothing else.

I actually did wait about 6 months I think to wash my first pair since I thought that was the norm, but thankfully it was with a pair of busters so they still looked just fine... I remember wanting a pair really bad and iron heart's were the only jeans I saw that didn't look straight-up fugly. I thought I'd never get a pair of flat heads since they looked stupid when they were faded... Oh how wrong I was

I'm also supposed to tell people to "wait AT LEAST six months before washing" whenever I sell some raw denim.

AKA me not telling people that ever.  Owners of the store I work at just don't understand really, which is really frustrating.

Anyways I'm ranting, great pair of 3005's Tyler, I love the way FH denim looks when washed frequently.

Yeah...it's not a novel concept. It's how most people's fathers jeans would look too, if they were made with FH denim. Initially I washed those with the frequency I did as an experiment, but as they aged and I liked them more than any jeans is worn before, I realized that the beauty of buying jeans that are well made, with beautiful denim, is that you can stop thinking about it and just treat them like clothes and you'll get something great.

Hi guys, i just got my first pair of raws, a FH 3002 (very lucky indeed)

i just have a question, i noticed some orange thread sticking out of my inseam one day and it looks like a couple of stitches are missing? regardless, it now looks like 1 stitch is holding a stress point in place and im worried it might rip soon. 

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q482/davidtwh/photo1_zps21bbf481.jpg

you'll notice that one stitch that really sticks out and a lack of stitching on either side of it.

now, is it just me and that it's nothing to worry about, or should i have to do something about it before the stitch goes?

Edited by YoloMyPillow

If you want us to be able to tell you more about what's up, you need to get a better angle on that photo, and spread that seam open so we can really see it. 

But in the short term, even if it's the worst possible scenario involving what you're talking about, it's not a huge deal in the sense that you need to not wear the jeans, or be super careful with them.  Most it'll need is a couple stitches to be back to brand new, but you aren't going to create a massive failure by wearing your jeans.

theres no stress point at that area of the jeans . thats where the outseam on the knee is.

wear it man. dont stress too much on it theres no stress point in that area.

if its near your crotch on the inseam then we are talking minor repairs

Ordered from Pirates in Japan on Tuesday lunchtime delivered to the UK on Friday lunchtime! Great believer in supporting local businesses especially for big purchases that you want to be able to touch and feel and try on before buying but for a basic that your confident of the sizing the exchange rate made it irresistible 

qrk6qq.jpg

Hi guys, i just got my first pair of raws, a FH 3002 (very lucky indeed)

i just have a question, i noticed some orange thread sticking out of my inseam one day and it looks like a couple of stitches are missing? regardless, it now looks like 1 stitch is holding a stress point in place and im worried it might rip soon. 

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q482/davidtwh/photo1_zps21bbf481.jpg

you'll notice that one stitch that really sticks out and a lack of stitching on either side of it.

now, is it just me and that it's nothing to worry about, or should i have to do something about it before the stitch goes?

Turn the jeans inside out and turn the seam allowance over in that area - this will give you a good view of the seam.

The outer leg seam is traditionally done with a double chainstitch type. There are a lot of advantages to this stitch class, but a skipped stitch or missed loop can easily show the main disadvantage of the stitch class - it can unravel.

I would think that TFH's inline QA/QC system (quality assurance/quality control) will check these seams directly after sewing. As the others have pointed out we rarely see or hear about unraveling outside leg seam unraveling with TFH's jeans...