The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Yep, I think it's a good idea to have a summer/winter denim rotation.  I'm in my 3009s until the end of 2013, after that they'll be my designated "summer" jeans.  My 3009s are at the five-month mark today, I'll post another update on them next month when they hit six months and get their second wash.

Also, the K0011s are great jeans, it's like a 3002 with more room in the leg and a bit more rise. 

I think that'd be a good idea broark.  Too often on this forum do people buy too many things to properly give them the wear and time they deserve!

This is probably going to start up a marathon like the Iron Heart thread just had but I totally agree with you. A lot of people from this forum seem to buy the latest and greatest items whenever they drop to only sell it a few months later with minimal or no wear. It could not be good for the wallet at all.

When I get pair of jeans, I look at it like I'm going to wear them for at least 12 months. If you have 10 pairs of jeans, you have the next decade covered! 

Agreed, but to be fair I'm one of those that sells a lot of shit.  Not because i get tired of it but because they just end up too small generally so I get why theres a lot of unsanforized denim for sale in the market.  Honestly all I want is pair of jeans that I can focus on for at least a year, I'm not the type of guy that wants to collect...

I'm still hunting for that perfect pair... I want to pick up some 3009s on the market but god damn i can't handle having more denim that eventually wont fit! and shrinkage with pioneer denim is a bitch or so i hear...

Personally, I think it's better to buy and sell in order to find the stuff that fits and works best for you, rather than have a big collection of things that don't get worn.  If you're spending the amount of money that it costs to buy stuff from brands like Flat Head, every item you buy should be your favorite pair of jeans/shirt/etc.

Just picked up a pair of 3002's tag size 31...great cut. Did a 1hr warm soak, put them on while still damp and went and sat in the sun while they dried (very relaxing).

Pre soak:

Waist: 31.5"

Front rise: 10"

Back rise: 14"

Knee: 8"

LO: 7.4"

Inseam: 36.5"

Thigh: Forgot to measure!

Post soak:

Waist: 30.8"

Front rise: 9.25"

Back rise: 13"

Knee: 7.8"

LO: 7"

Inseam: 34.5"

Thigh: 11"

How much does the 3xxx fabric stretch back out? I find them absolutely perfect right now, but if theres some stretch out I might give them another hot ass soak after a week as I think there might be some more shrinkage still left in these.

Personally, I think it's better to buy and sell in order to find the stuff that fits and works best for you, rather than have a big collection of things that don't get worn.  If you're spending the amount of money that it costs to buy stuff from brands like Flat Head, every item you buy should be your favorite pair of jeans/shirt/etc.

definitely agree! with the way clothes from flat head and other brands are constructed, it'd be a shame to have a bunch of pieces that don't get worn and aged over time. plus, my wallet would be much thinner if i didn't sell the stuff i didn't absolutely love

Just picked up a pair of 3002's tag size 31...great cut. Did a 1hr warm soak, put them on while still damp and went and sat in the sun while they dried (very relaxing).

Pre soak:

Waist: 31.5"

Front rise: 10"

Back rise: 14"

Knee: 8"

LO: 7.4"

Inseam: 36.5"

Thigh: Forgot to measure!

Post soak:

Waist: 30.8"

Front rise: 9.25"

Back rise: 13"

Knee: 7.8"

LO: 7"

Inseam: 34.5"

Thigh: 11"

How much does the 3xxx fabric stretch back out? I find them absolutely perfect right now, but if theres some stretch out I might give them another hot ass soak after a week as I think there might be some more shrinkage still left in these.

I got mine recently too. I did 2 soaks and 2 rumble dries in the dryer inside out. It shrunk about 2" in the waist and .75" all over after the second soak and almost 4" in the inseam. Do another!!

Bought a pair of FH 3009 in size 31 yesterday! After an agitated hot soak I concluded that there must be some more shrinkage to get rid of and washed them inside out in the machine without detergent and spin cycle, and then air dried them. The waist now measures around 29.8 inches and the inseam 35.4 inches. I think we are good to go.

Fit in the top block is wonderful, no flaring, feels snug and at the same time leaves plenty of room for the thighs and movement - super comfortable and sharp looking cut! And of course FH's incredible denim and workmanship... you can tell I am really happy with the jeans!

Some sizing references, maybe they help someone who is unsure about sizing and owns one of the following jeans:

FH 3009 W31

LVC 1947 501XX W31

Red Cloud 423XX W30

Edwin Nashville W28

Edited by mat_wue

Anyone else have the crotch bunch issue? The waist isn't extremely loose and I'm just assuming its due to stiff denim in the fly

Flat head 3002 2 soaks 2 tumble dry brand new tag 36

1R3WyIU.jpg

HgxSWvV.jpg

y6lTOmB.jpg

That is a great fit cmboland, don't worry about the crotch bunching, that will go away with wear as the jeans settle in.

Ben, I'll see about measuring my 3009s tonight.  It doesn't seem like mine have stretched a lot, but they're a fairly relaxed fit on me so that's not really surprising.  The waist on my SE05BSPs stretched out a lot more than my 3009s, but probably just because I wore the BSPs lower, the waist on my 3009s isn't under much pressure.

That is a great fit cmboland, don't worry about the crotch bunching, that will go away with wear as the jeans settle in.

Ben, I'll see about measuring my 3009s tonight. It doesn't seem like mine have stretched a lot, but they're a fairly relaxed fit on me so that's not really surprising. The waist on my SE05BSPs stretched out a lot more than my 3009s, but probably just because I wore the BSPs lower, the waist on my 3009s isn't under much pressure.

Thanks! I wish retailers had the 3002 stateside!

Thanks! I wish retailers had the 3002 stateside!

The SE05BSP is a very very close fit with the main differences being that the SE05BSP has a longer inseam and the arcuates are stitched in with indigo colored thread.

The SE05BSP is a very very close fit with the main differences being that the SE05BSP has a longer inseam and the arcuates are stitched in with indigo colored thread.

Hey Kiya , I originally had this in mind but I was in between the 34 and 36. The 3002 in 36 had a 35" waist to start versus the 37

I had a little crotch bunching that settled over time too cmboland on the 3002. I would've considered the SE05BSP too but im so short after hemming the leg opening would be too wide even after shrinkage for my taste. But i love the indigo half arcs leather patch etc.

I apologise for any oversights that I make here by not finding relevant answers on this forum. I've pieced together what I can, but it could be that I've missed the answers I need in some obvious chunk of the loopwheeled T-shirt thread/Flat Head thread/Self Edge thread.

I want a loopwheeled T-shirt. I like the look of The Flat Head T-shirts. I just honestly can't work out which are actually loopwheeled. The "THC" Flat Head T-shirts aren't loopwheeled, apparently. Kyle, from Flat Head, posted on another forum a few months ago to confirm that the THC Flat Head T-shirts aren't loopwheeled.

Kiya, from Self Edge, has said on this thread (about a month after Kyle's assertion) that "Flat Head stopped making the THC series as loopwheeled this season". However, Kyle said on the other forum that he was told by the company that "the specs on these tees haven't changed over time", ie that they were never loopwheeled.

Somebody rudely called Kiya out on his assertion that "Flat Head stopped making the THC series as loopwheeled this season". Kiya said that he'd wait for Kyle to reply, but Kyle never addressed the point, only the rudeness.

I've seen what look exactly like some of the Flat Head T-shirts that appear on the Self Edge website, which the Self Edge website describes as loopwheeled, on Rakuten. They're listed as THC T-shirts on Rakuten, and on Rakuten there seems to be no hint that they're loopwheeled (some of the descriptions of other non-THC Flat Head T-shirts on Rakuten do seem to say that they're loopwheeled). Some of these THC T-shirts on Rakuten date from before this year, if that really matters.

I don't want to get sidelined with questions of quality, how overrated loopwheeled is as an indicator of quality etc - I'm sure they're all great - but I'm specifically after a loopwheeled T-shirt so I want to know specifically which T-shirts are and aren't loopwheeled. I want to know if the T-shirts on the Self Edge website that it describes as loopwheeled definitely are loopwheeled.

Kiya once said many years ago on another forum about purported loopwheeled clothes: "It's insane to me that companies get away with advertising that their fabric is one thing when it's not, but i'm convinced that these companies themselves were fooled by their factories or textile suppliers into thinking that the fabric was really loopwheeled." Is there a chance that an insane, all-round mistake has happened here on certain T-shirts?

I'm not going to get into who you should believe because that's up to you and I think you should be civil on the internet (even if many others don't seem to share the same belief...)

But if you DEFINITELY want to know if its loopwheeled don't buy anything from the THC series.  Go for Glory Park TD tees or Black Mint TM tees, those are both loopwheeled. On the THC series, the fabric is thicker and in my opinion a tiny bit rougher than their loopwheeled tees, and I actually prefer it.  Their loopwheeled tees are great too, although I'm definitely more of a fan of the designs on the THC series.  Hopefully this helps.

Also, I can't believe they have an Irvine California graphic on one of their tees.  I find that hilarious...

Thanks for this. Yep, civility is the best way online, in reality and thought. I manage it some of the time. I understand there must be a lot of ins, lot of outs to all this. It must be a professionally delicate area, and that might well limit what I hear. It of course must matter at least to some people if a good part of why they've bought a T-shirt is because they think it's loopwheeled. Perhaps this'll help others try to get a better sense of what is and isn't. I value integrity above expertise, and I'm not questioning anybody's. I just don't want this to push me down the rabbit hole. I don't want to derail much more, but I like the look of The Strike Gold T-shirts too (which I think Kiya might've had a hand in developing), but I end up thinking, "Yeah, but how do I KNOW they're loopwheeled?" If I don a tin hat and start talking about how The Matrix is a documentary, I blame all this. I've seen Kyle say elsewhere that the TD T-shirts are definitely loopwheeled. Black mint too?

I take it you're from Irvine? My girlfriend is originally from Indiana and I've seen an SG T-shirt with a relevant print to freak her out too. She's already troubled enough by kids wearing Carhartt on the streets round here.

Haha, I'm not actually from irvine but very close. It i was that tee would've been mine...

And yeah I asked Kyle a while ago if the TM series was loopwheeled and he said yes. In my opinion, of the 3 series that I mentioned the TM series has the nicest fabric. It's really soft and thick...beware though because imo they run about a size smaller than the rest of flat heads tees.

ironheartfan - I haven't bought one yet, but yep. I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I get the impression that a shop like Self Edge does a lot more good for this little world than others. There's confusion, and mistakes have happened one way or another, but it seems to me that other businesses have made many more mistakes with the designation of the term loopwheel. Other businesses have certainly encouraged confusion. Even on an obvious level, it's annoying how many try to shift sweaters with the similar word "loopback". I don't have much money for the foreseeable future. I want to get my choice right. (I have plenty of decent, non-loopwheeled T-shirts. Too many, really, but I have em now and that's that.)

Ben - thanks so much for the info, including sizing. There's a TM T on the Self Edge website that's on my very short list!