The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I've a query about soaking 3009 please

I did a 45 minute, warm water soak in the tub, let them dry and did another warm soak for about an hour. dried them outside, lying flat on a rotor line, both times

I could do with a bit more shrinking in the rear, will another soak do anything or, will they have shrunk as much as they are going to by now please?

media_mute: The best thing to do is soak them in warm water, and agitate by hand for a few minutes (if the water turns dark blue, you're doing it right.  Don't worry about indigo loss; FH denim is really, really, really dark.)  Moving the jeans around during the soak is crucial to getting all of the shrinkage out.

I would suggest against using a dryer.  Often. when office employees at TFH get new jeans they machine-wash and then tumble-dry with our machines downstairs. This certainly simplifies shrinkage (there won't be any left) and makes hemming easier (again, no worries about further shrinkage.)  Though I don't think tumble drying affects fading, sometimes it can damage the stitching - I've noticed that the inside of tumble-dried jeans look pretty messy in comparison to ones that have been air dried. Dryer lines/creases are common with tumble drying, too. 

Edited by Kyle@TFH

cheers Kyle (& everyone else)- I'll give it another go

Danny from Rivet & Hide, where I bought them- has actually emailed me in the interim with similar advice

I was kind of running the bath again, ready to soak & wondering what to do when I posted this (I have to say, my GF is very understanding)

Wow, really nice jeans tang, are those an old lot of 3001s?  I love that steely silver-blue color, it's pretty rare on FH jeans but one or two employees have jeans in that color - I have no idea what sort of washing routine results in that appearance.

small update before wash. was able to get a bit more inseam (sloppy stacking) by stretching as kyle suggested a while back. i've never hot washed these BSP's so i'm expecting the inseam to shrink back after the wash.

gbPm0wk.jpg

Edited by rosarkar

Thanks Kyle, the honeycombs are slowly becoming more pronounced as well.  I'll post photos later this week. The only criticism I have about the jean is their stiffness. I'll check out RJB next year when these are out of service. 

^ Nice.

After reading Kyle's info on FH I just had to get myself a pair.  Ended up getting a pair of F380.  The initial warm soak didn't shrink to my desired fit.  So I did 2 x 1 hour hot soak with a lot of agitation.  Hopefully it will shrink enough.

Hi,

Does anyone has the post soak measurements of a 3001 in size 30? Preferably using BIG method.

And is there a similar fit to the 3001 but with a button fly?

FYI: I can fit well into a size 30 Momotaro GTB 0705SP. I'm more concerned about the thighs and backrise for the 3001.

Thanks.

And is there a similar fit to the 3001 but with a button fly?

The 3002 & SE05BSP have a similar fit to the 3001 in the top block but taper from the knee down unlike the 3001 which is a slim/straight fit.

Both have button flies.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

Some of the nicer-faded pairs around the office look similar to Stewie's, they look like they were worn about six months before the first wash, then washed frequently after that. 

With Flat Heads the first wash after wearing for a long time is most important for getting high contrast.  After that, you can wash infrequently to preserve the dark blue color, or wash often to get a lighter color.  Either way, you'll still have strong contrast.  Pairs that are washed often from the start still have great color and texture (and often whiskering, even) but very little honeycomb action in comparison.