The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Very nice! Great fit and evo. I'm kinda surprised by how gray they look, but that's probably just the fluorescent lighting in your room. Some non-direct sunlight would probably bring out the true color nicely in photos. I've found that nothing makes the color of jeans "pop" quite like light reflected off of snow, actually.

Lots of sweet FH stuff in this month's issue of Daytona Bros. It talks about the 3001-A, which is a 3001 with natural indigo mixed in the dye, and the 2011, a 20-oz version of the 3001 with red and white back pocket embroidery and other new details. Both look totally sick. There are also tons of FH shoes and pictures of stuff that Kobayashi-san and friends wear, including his deerskin leather pants, RJB stuff, and a big two-page spread on FH wallets.

Lots of sweet FH stuff in this month's issue of Daytona Bros. It talks about the 3001-A, which is a 3001 with natural indigo mixed in the dye, and the 2011, a 20-oz version of the 3001 with red and white back pocket embroidery and other new details. Both look totally sick. There are also tons of FH shoes and pictures of stuff that Kobayashi-san and friends wear, including his deerskin leather pants, RJB stuff, and a big two-page spread on FH wallets.

having seen the 20oz 3001 in person, i can say it's nothing amazing. it's the 3001 in a heavier denim with different colour thread on the arcs - not exactly anything to write home about.

i'm surprised about FH's (apparent) reluctancy to do anything new. they've been sitting on the same range of jeans for a long time now. it's nice denim granted but..... you know, the same as it has been for years. rather than expand a range of sub brands (Glory Park, Gotta Roll, Googies) i reckon they should expand apon the actual Flat Head range.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Recently Flat Head have brought out:

- Self Edge / ringring collab - LHT

- FH / RJB collab

- natural indigo 3005s

- 20oz jeans

- Kevlar jeans

All pretty good in my opinion

Edit: I deliberately ignored the Naked & Famous collab!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Yeah it seems like most of the interesting FH stuff is in their outerwear (the Melton wool jacket from Lightning a few months ago looks incredible) but some new jeans would be nice. I'd keep an eye out for collaborations, but since FH already has a good range of cuts and awesome denim, I can't complain. I just wish they made stuff with longer inseams.

The Fender Telecaster hasn't changed a lot in the past sixty years and it still kicks ass, so I don't mind if FH sticks with a nice core lineup of jeans.

i'm not really counting colabs, as half the time it's instigated by somebody else, in this case probably self edge.

kevlar jeans? kind of a novelty no? kind of like naked & famous scratch & sniff, but less shit...

fender is a good reference, but given how great fh's denim is it'd be cool to see them do something else with it other than the same cuts they've been making for the last 4 years or so.

whatever.. i'm happy to be proven wrong, i just feel they're resting on their laurels a bit.

Edited by okisan

Be a hero and get those Kevlar jeans. I think FH is going more for a super-durable jean with those; according to Japanese sites, the weft is kevlar covered in cotton (similar to the poly-core cotton thread on the Frontier jeans) and about nine times stronger than normal denim, but I dunno if it uses poly-core stitching or some other tougher type, which is at least as important as the strength of the fabric itself. They should last at least as long as a 3XXX pair, so why not wear 'em to hell and back and offer us a full report?

There are also the 8001A and 8005A, which are supposed to be an even-slubbier type of 14-oz. denim and have six belt loops, bar-tacked back pockets, slightly different pockets, and cost a lot less (19000 yen compared to 24-25000 of most FH jeans.)

Now that I think about it, it would be cool if Flat Head could develop a really smooth, sanforized fabric that faded as well as their famous unsaforized denim.

According to Kiya, who sold a pair from his personal collection, the thread used on the Kevlar jeans is made of aramid.

Wikipedia says: aramid fibers are a class of heat-resistant and strong synthetic fibers. they are used in aerospace and military applications, for ballistic rated body armor fabric and ballistic composites, in bicycle tires, and as an asbestos substitute. the name is a portmanteau of "aromatic polyamide". they are fibers in which the chain molecules are highly oriented along the fiber axis, so the strength of the chemical bond can be exploited.

The Flat Head SE05BSP size 32, worn since January 23, 2012. Three weeks of real wear.

bsp01642x700.jpg

bsp02569x700.jpg

bsp03700x525.jpg

The Angelos wallet fits in very nicely.

bsp04700x525.jpg

bsp05700x525.jpg

bsp06700x535.jpg

These are fading quickly at the coin pocket.

bsp07700x528.jpg

Splendid, indeed.

bsp08700x525.jpg

Combs are setting in nicely, you can also see the great texture of the denim here.

bsp09700x525.jpg

bsp10700x525.jpg

Next update at the two-month mark.

Unless ones lives in really cold places, I don't get the appeal of super-heavy denim. Personally I find 13.5-15 oz. (like Flat Head, PBJ, etc.) use to be the sweet spot between comfort and fading potential. It's not too hot in warmer weather, and you can always just wear thermal underwear beneath in cold weather. Given the hot summers in Japan and my home in the southest US, I'd boil most of the year if I wore Iron Hearts or something. That being said, I think Flat Head DOES charge way too much money for the 1XXX jeans that are only slightly thicker then the 3XXX ones. If you're after heavyweight denim, something like IH or Samurai does seem to be a better value.

This is a little off. Because denim weight is measured by weight in yards, its weight can't really be used to objectively conclude its breathability. IH denim is surprisingly breathable by yard (I'd say even more so than FH) for the same reason that a flyswatter is more breathable than Seran Wrap when measured by wright in yards.

f310's 3 weeks in, lost 7 lbs out of 10 planned but i seem to be fitting these a lot better so i've started eating again (jk) Still wish i could size up 1 from the beginning but it's not that bad now.

IMG_4780.jpgIMG_4779.jpg

what do you guys think? Usually i'll button them up but after a nice meal i may leave them unbottoned and just zip up the fly. When i walk they're pretty comfortable but sometimes when i sit for a long time in class the thighs really are a killer since i'm not used to slim jeans.

Edited by Jonpwn

his combs look like those i see on the raw for women thread ... function of the knee area being very tight?

They're not super tight.

bsp12700x561.jpg

bsp13700x623.jpg

But virtually any slim-fitting jean is tight in the lower thigh because I have really long legs and my thigh cuts into the "knees" of most jeans. The BSP is about 8" at the knee, and I don't know of any jean that's about 11.5-12" at the top thigh, 8.5-9 at the knee, and 7.5-8" at the hem (and which would have a long enough inseam. The 3Sixteen SL-100X is the closest I've gotten, but I gave those to a friend as a Christmas present. Maybe I should get another pair.

Nah, it's a Gap overdyed Type III style jacket. Nothing special, but good for the money I paid, and it should look pretty interesting with a few years' wear. I'd like to get a FH jacket, but I'm worried it would be too short on me (this one already is.) Flat Head's Type II looks pretty incredible, though.

Nah, it's a Gap overdyed Type III style jacket. Nothing special, but good for the money I paid, and it should look pretty interesting with a few years' wear. I'd like to get a FH jacket, but I'm worried it would be too short on me (this one already is.) Flat Head's Type II looks pretty incredible, though.

The pics in that post are what made me want to get the jacket in the first place. That thing looks great!

They're not super tight.

But virtually any slim-fitting jean is tight in the lower thigh because I have really long legs and my thigh cuts into the "knees" of most jeans. The BSP is about 8" at the knee, and I don't know of any jean that's about 11.5-12" at the top thigh, 8.5-9 at the knee, and 7.5-8" at the hem (and which would have a long enough inseam. The 3Sixteen SL-100X is the closest I've gotten, but I gave those to a friend as a Christmas present. Maybe I should get another pair.

That cut suits your frame.