Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

I am notoriously hard on things, that's why I mentioned that I personally would remove the tags on future shirts...

Now that I think about it, it may be because I stretch them after each wash (Cold wash, stretch, air dry).  That's because I have a long ass torso and originally they seemed super boxy.  Now they're totally the right shape for my body, because the cloth does stretch really well when wet.

I love both my Tezomeya and my Flat Head shirts.  

The Tezos are definitely better for warm weather, everyday type shirt.  Slubby, airy, soft.

The Flat head is another type completely: thick, not stretchy, very structural feeling, much more uniform in texture, but just so well built.  If it is cool enough I'll usually rock a flat head shirt.

It's a great shirt.  Personally, I'd suggest removing the tag on the back once you get them - most of mine have little holes around the tag stitching now (a year+ later).

NHF2ZMP.jpg

Sorry that happened. If you would like it repaired, please send me a mail at [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly I should apologise, this is neither vintage nor, I suspect, loopwheeled (it has side seams). Nevertheless it's my favourite t shirt.

17284376336_f56b163395_z.jpg

17102818317_412dcbee52_z.jpg

I picked it up in TK Max a few years back. I've since tried to find another like it, but can find no info on the brand anywhere. Maybe it doesn't exist anymore.. If anyone has any ideas that would be cool. The cut is just right, the fabric is beautiful too and the construction seems solid. I've never been one for spending money on t-shirts, but this thread has piqued my interest. Just shelled out on an Eastman leather t-shirt to see what the loopwheeling fuss is all about... will post my thoughts when I get it.

Obviously tubeknit and loopwheeled are not the same thing, but does it matter? I was thinking about getting a couple more nice tees for the summer, and can't work out if the velvasheen ones are loopwheeled or tubeknit? Anyone?

EDIT : When I say not vintage, actually I reckon I've had it a good 10 years. does that make it vintage? ;-)

Edited by holio cornolio

Vint-age is commonly accepted as 20 years old, the stem derives from 'viginti', the Latin for twenty.

vintage (n.) Look up vintage at Dictionary.com

early 15c., "harvest of grapes, yield of wine from a vineyard," from Anglo-French vintage (mid-14c.), from Old French vendage, vendenge "vine-harvest, yield from a vineyard," from Latin vindemia "a gathering of grapes, yield of grapes," from comb. form of vinum "wine" (see wine (n.)) + stem of demere "take off" (from de- "from, away from" + emere "to take;" see exempt). Sense shifted to "age or year of a particular wine" (1746), then to a general adjectival sense of "being of an earlier time" (1883). Used of cars since 1928.

Sorry, my comment asking about 'vintageness' was tongue in cheek. These days the word 'vintage' seems more often applied euphemistically to anything old or second hand. I like your explanation relating to viginti, but I don't think it's right. I think a bottle of 2000 St Emilion counts as vintage but it's not 20 years old.

Unless it's a definition of vintage that relates specifically to fashion?

EDIT: actually, I take it back, I think your definition is as good as any. I'd always understood the 'vin' part of the word to relate to... well, Vin, but why not Viginti or indeed - Vingt? The word had to start out meaning something, even if it's been corrupted by time to mean something slightly different.

Edited by holio cornolio

I've now got two of flat heads loop wheeled fabrics and I'm not convinced that something better out there exists...

This isn't particular to loopwheel or not, but I love how it seems like quality t shirts mold to your body even after washes, as weird as it sounds.

I've now got two of flat heads loop wheeled fabrics and I'm not convinced that something better out there exists...

This isn't particular to loopwheel or not, but I love how it seems like quality t shirts mold to your body even after washes, as weird as it sounds.

Yes, I just posted a thought about this on Denimbro, regarding FH tees vs. Real McCoy's ones (especially concerning bang for the buck).

http://www.denimbro.com/the-real-mccoys_topic423_page126.html

For now the FH ones are still the nicest I've worn as well.

Edited by Iron Horse

So I just took delivery of the Eastman Leather 4th division T shirt. I'm impressed. It's very neatly put together, the fabric is soft and but sturdy and very comfortable. It's MIJ and apparently loopwheeled, although I wouldn't know how to tell. Here's a couple of slightly weird fit pics. I like it.

17318867802_77d7021929_z.jpg17134496179_f42bf1549b_z.jpg

Finally something a bit more close up:

16698285324_f234b48ec9_z.jpg

Sweet a long looking shirt. Will definitely check out thanks.

I know this is a thread about the shirt but damn those jeans look great.

Not sure if it's really a long shirt. I'm 5'9", so pretty short with more leg than torso! But it's a little longer than most of my t shirts.

The jeans are TCB 60s

Edited by holio cornolio

Much to the disgust of my kids, I wore the ELMC 4th division for most of the 3 day weekend, and loved it. Very VERY comfy, not clingy at all, despite the slim fit. If they weren't so f**king spendy I'd have a few more of these. It's very hard for me to justify this kind of money on a t shirt, but it's very nice and I'm getting itchy fingers for a white one now!

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna pick a few of them up as well, but I might wait until I see the XL's get made.

I have a skivvy tee in large and it's not a bad fit, but the chart looks rather small.

I'm gonna pick a few of them up as well, but I might wait until I see the XL's get made.

I have a skivvy tee in large and it's not a bad fit, but the chart looks rather small.

From what Christophe told me the pattern/fit of the Skivvy we sell is the same as the new Stanley tee, the main difference is that the Stanley is made of a lighter weight tube knit fabric.

From what Christophe told me the pattern/fit of the Skivvy we sell is the same as the new Stanley tee, the main difference is that the Stanley is made of a lighter weight tube knit fabric.

Read the same on his blog post the other day, the lighter weight fabric has me interested. It's getting pretty hot down here.

Are you going to be stocking these Kiya? I think I read that July is the ETA for the XL's somewhere. I'm a little undecided if I want to go L or XL on these guys.

Is there any word if there will be a restock of the Stevenson Loopwheeled pocket tees in Large? I found out about them about 2 weeks ago and having been lusting after them only to find out on the SE and R&H websites that they are sold out.

We just got a restock of all sizes yesterday and have refilled the online store this morning.

• 1 month later...

This is a bit concerning. Wore my Lady White Co tee to work today and noticed this on my shirt...both arms:

pUZCMYY.jpg

UMt9Chx.jpg

Got home and realized that it was starting to happen on the other grey/black one I have too.

Pretty bummed, since I haven't had these a long time and always gentle wash / hang dry all my clothes.

The process those colors went through weakens the threads/fabric, that's how they get that washed out color.  That won't happen to the colors we sell at Self Edge.

Edited by kiya

Bummer. That shouldn't happen for tee's that cost that much, with such high aspirations. 

The tee shirt world is becoming a big pet peeve of mine. It seems there are several new-ish people/companies making attempts at making the "perfect" tee - and charging <what I consider a lot> for a tee shirt. And in the end, it's really not much better than what you can get for $6-$20 from one of the main stream mass production brands. 

I'm still looking for the perfect tee for me, and there are several brands that I'm willing to throw some $$$ just to try them; Lady White is one of them.