Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

Trust me that it isn't loopwheeled. I highly doubt that you will feel any difference from your grey tee though. And personally I think I might like the fabric on my THC tees better than the fabric on my Iron Hearts...

Edited by itsbenhere

Here's how I'd characterize the difference in the FH tee fabrics, based on what I've handled.

The THC ones are probably the thickest (though the Black Mint tees feel about the same weight), and have a very smooth, even fabric that's very comfortable and feels nice.  The loopwheeled fabrics like on my U-neck tee have a more uneven, textured feel.  I'd liken it to the difference of a projectile-loomed fabric that feels very even and consistent, versus a shuttle-loomed denim with an uneven, hairy surface.

The thing is, we're not trying to fade T-shirts (I think?), so there's not an intrinsic advantage to knitting it one way or the other, compared to selvage denim (particularly unsanforized) that will probably have a rougher surface in comparison to projectile loom denim.  I'd say, just buy T-shirts based on what you like the most - whether you like a smoother or more textured fabric.

Kyle, did TFH change their Glory Park tees this year? I have one from last year (the Vertical Fade design) that feels very different in both fabric and cut compared to the two I have from this year (Go for Coffee and Dry Goods). This year's batch appear softer but with a larger cut and more length in the body. Just curious and would appreciate any info.

I don't know for certain since I don't own any Glory Park tees, but you're probably right, I think they do experiment with the fabrics used on those tees.  I've handled some older GP tees on sale at seasonal events, etc. that I didn't think felt nearly as nice as the fabrics they're making now.

Have a pair of FilMelange tees incoming from Japan as well as some new stuff from LoopWheeler - should be interesting to compare, will post once the stuff arrives...

FilMelange stuff is really nice. I've handled the Sunny, Dizzy, and Byrd shirts. SUPER soft fabrics. I felt that their fabrics were more delicate than some of the other brands discussed in this thread. Seriously, I'm not sure cotton can get softer than what is used for the Sunny tees.

I think I had mentioned in the Sweatshirt thread that the Byrd is unique (as far as I've seen) in that it has a side-seam on one side only. Again, ridiculously soft fabric.

after getting frustrated with my search for simple & good quality t-shirts, i found really nice ones by japanese brand "riding high". loopwheeled, great heavy cotton, nice versatile colours and an amazing fit.

really happy about my find, will go back to the store and get some more soon.

Got any more details on these? How did you size etc? And what is the neck opening like? I really hate a loose neck...

Thanks in advance!

joey, how is it ordering from vari? might get some barns.

honestly, the most comfortable tee that i have are the flathead thc one. they feel just right and i love the triple chain stitch collar.

You just have to order what you want and Rakuten send you an email 2 or 3 days later with the total amount including shipping (which is usually cheap : 16€ for 2 tee by EMS). Paypal accepted, but do not expect a great communication, they just don't speak english. 

I bought many stuff from Vari, including pretty pricy item (Buzz peacoat..) and each transaction was easy & smooth. Bonus : they puts some very cool catalogs with every order (Buzz, Sugar Cane, Mister Freedom, PBJ...)

The easiest way of ordering through Vari is to contact Hirofumi Udono (or Hiro for short. )
Email- [email protected] and address to Hiro.
Send him the link to what you want to know. He speaks perfect English.

He will take care of everything and respond promptly.

Should you want to order just copy/paste this and fill it in.

Name
Shipping Address:
Street Address
City
State Zip code
Country

Phone Number:

Please specify an item page listed on our store.
------------------------------

----------------------------------------------
Shopping Info-#01
Item Product Code and Title:

Item URL:

Color:

Size:

Quantity:

Note: Request to pay via PP

You will receive a PP invoice from Hiro/Vari for the full cost inc.ship within 24 hours and when the payment is made you will receive a receipt/pdf and EMS Tracking.

Got any more details on these? How did you size etc? And what is the neck opening like? I really hate a loose neck...

Thanks in advance!

i bought a riding high tee just yesterday from a local store, at half price i couldnt resist. regarding sizing, they come up pretty small. that being said i went for my normal size (s). i like my tees short and fitted, but wouldve been happy with a medium as well. im pretty short, if youre average height (western) id size up one.

the neck opening is just right imo, its not loose nor tight and pretty thin - which i like. but theres definitely no "turtle necking" going on.

cheers!

I wish TFH would continue to do their tees in bigger sizes, and in plain colors.  It seems they have backed off from that.

They will do both of those - but they typically need to be ordered from the dealer (most FH stuff is made-to-order, especially sizes over 42.)  So if you want some, your best choice might be to contact your store of choice and ask them to order some for you.

Edited by Kyle@TFH

i bought a riding high tee just yesterday from a local store, at half price i couldnt resist. regarding sizing, they come up pretty small. that being said i went for my normal size (s). i like my tees short and fitted, but wouldve been happy with a medium as well. im pretty short, if youre average height (western) id size up one.

the neck opening is just right imo, its not loose nor tight and pretty thin - which i like. but theres definitely no "turtle necking" going on.

cheers!

Thanks man, very helpful! 

bought a real mccoy's pocket t-shirt from BiG yesterday, it's insanely soft. The best word I can think of for its softness is 'silvery,' and the fit is perfect. My next purchase is gunna be a loopwheeled tee, the ones from Studio d'Artisan they had were way tight around the neck so I didn't get one, but I'm still lookin'.

Are you talking about the recent blue one they posted pictures of online? I'd be interested in some more pictures, the color looks great and I've been thinking about getting one as well.

That's from an article about how Deluxeware looks through old factories for machines like Union Special Flatseamers (which they got into working condition after some time and effort) and other equipment to make clothes with the quality of vintage garments.  Yes, the underlined word is "Old-style loopwheel machine."  The Japanese term for loopwheel machine, åŠã‚Šç·¨ã¿æ©Ÿ (Tsuri-ami-ki) literally means "hanging knit machine."  The Japanese seem to identify the Loopwheel machine particularly by the fact that it "hangs" from a beam/doesn't stand up on its own.

Edited by Kyle@TFH

I just picked up the pack of stevenson white tees yesterday and they are definitely nice, but I haven't heard anyone mention the brand loop and weft that blueingreen carries. I grabbed the beige 3/4 sleeve henley and right off the bat it felt a lot softer. I was told by the worker at blueingreen (japanese guy, didnt get his name) that the brand was started by someone that was affiliated with samurai.