Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

After all the explanations I still can't tell the difference between non-loop wheel / loop wheel.

I think it would be safe to say, if there aren't seems going down the length of the tube (e.g. socks), it's loopwheeled. I think this video somewhat explains what to expect from it.

my biggest concern with all the Japanese loopwheeled stuff is the length. If the shoulders are not perfect, or the chest is a bit big I can deal with it. If the shirt is too short, I hate it. I dont like the bottom to hit right at the waist of where I wear my jeans, as Im constantly tugging at it and fiddling with it. Iron Heart t-shirts are the only t shirts I have found thus far that I dont really need to worry about this. Well, most of their t shirts. some run a bit short, based on IHUK's measurements

Warehouse/Heller's always has really interesting t-shirts, but nothing that will even come close to fitting me. It really bums me out. But, their size 42 sweatshirts fit like a dream. Except, to you earlier point, they come in really short. I can fit the XL freedom-sleeve Flat Head sweatshirts as well. But for the majority of their tees that only go up to 42, ha! It's like trying to save money by buying polos in the boys' dept at Macy's. I assume they don't fit in the chest anyway, since it's almost impossible to get beyond the neck hole :-).

What do you guys think of the iron heart loopwheeled sweats?

I got one and love it, great weight and love the fit. It is fitted unlike most common sweatshirts. Warm and wind resistant as advertised. Wouldn't mind living in mine if the Texan summers weren't so warm. I wear a medium in everything and this fit great.

my beef with the Japanese brands is that while i can fit comfortably in most brands' XL sweatshirts, they rarely have t-shirts that don't look like latex paint on me, even in their biggest size..

haha, I know what you mean. I desperately wanted a PBJ indigo LS t-shirt (not loopwheeled) but the size XL had a shoulder of like 16" and a 40" chest.

God, yes. I have had to pass on so many awesome shirts because the Japanese XL is like a US medium. If the sizing went large enough, I'd have about a dozen SDA shirts- I love those Engrish graphics they do.

I do think that there are some exceptions though. Brands like Groovers and Freewheelers do not use tubular construction, and they make some of the nicest gear in the business. I believe that they cut and sew to achieve a certain fit. When great care is taken to create a garment, cutting and sewing is much more labor intensive and expensive. Myself, i prefer the look/fit of tubular.

Not sure why that is, but it seems that in Europe at one point in time cut&sewn got a preference over tubular.

I don't recall when growing up having gotten any exposure to tubular tees or sweats.

My guess is that the slower and smaller cylinders of the old loop wheel machines in Europe got replaced through modern machines with bigger cylinders (more efficient and economic in 2 regards: machine speed and bigger cylinders for open fabric), while in the US a bigger market remained for modern circular knit machines with small, size specific cylinders remained.

I don't share the opinion that vintage loop wheel tees and sweats have to be tube construction - surely, it's nice, but not that important.

Regarding the fabric - the majority of knitted fabrics used in apparel are weft knits made on circular knitting machines.

Loop wheel machines, sinker wheel machines and the dominating majority of modern weft knit machines: are circular machines.

The majority of "loopwheeled" garments in my collection are in fact cut&sewn...

Edited by Foxy2

• 2 weeks later...