Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

There are/were retailers that advertise their tees as loopwheeled, and I don't think they are. A few years ago, Epaulet sold some tees they advertised as loopwheeled. I called and talked to salesperson, and he said said they were made in the US, but didn't know where. Asked if he was sure they are loopwheeled and not just circular knit, he he said definitely yes. I didn't know there were any loopwheel machines in the US. If there were I think they'd be marketed pretty heavily. But I don't know if there are or not, just never seen any brands marketing a loopwheeled US made fabric. 

2 hours ago, lee porter said:

Well I have the rmc Loopwheeled if they are Loopwheeled? And Merz b and the warehouse are by far superior in my humble opinion where you buying yours from youngofthesoonest ?

I work for self Edge so i get from there haha we have deliveries of warehouse in a few weeks and a bunch of T-shirt colors should be coming with that. 

2 hours ago, youngofthesoonest said:

I work for self Edge so i get from there haha we have deliveries of warehouse in a few weeks and a bunch of T-shirt colors should be coming with that. 

Do you know what color ways you have coming in? Pockets tees?

33 minutes ago, ReverendGlasseye said:

Do you know what color ways you have coming in? Pockets tees?

yeah pocket t-shirts, restock in white and then olive, black and Bordeaux. I believe there's one more color but I'm forgetting off the top of my head. 

Moving sizing discussion here from the TCB thread…

On 7/6/2020 at 8:27 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I think it's crazy you wear a 7 whereas I wear a 6 :D

On 7/6/2020 at 9:36 PM, julian-wolf said:

Hah, come to think of it that does seem weird—but when I've tried 6's at Self Edge they've consistently been tight in my shoulders and underarms, so…go figure?

edit: For what it's worth, the two Merz tees I have are the 207 and the 513, both of which seem to fit well in a 7

For reference, 513 in size 7:

SgnhsXy.jpg

15 hours ago, goodrain said:

does anyone have fit pics of the 4601 tee in size large?

I've got a few WAYWT posts in WH 4601 ts size L. I'm 70 kilo and 177cm. Perfect fit. 

20 hours ago, Broark said:

Loopwheeled does not always mean better quality in my experience. It's just a slower and older manufacturing process putting less stress on the fabric during knitting.
For instance those RMC loopwheeled tees are some of the worst nicer tees I've ever spent money on. They don't hold their shape whatsoever, fabric pills after a few washes.

I asked FW (yes I know) why they don’t use loopwheeled fabric/tees - long answer short was they’re not any better than what they currently use ... that could also mean worse, but the sheer range of fabrics they use for their tees limited how far I could take the questioning

Edited by Duke Mantee
Rubbish spelling

I’ve got the rmc Loopwheeled tees beautiful until you wash them I think Edmond said they’ve up the quality on some of their stuff I wonder if anyone has the new black real McCoy’s Loopwheeled tee they might of sorted them ? Would buy again if so 

What’s the verdict on Merz tees? I’m always thrown off by the measurements, then I realized that they all shrink a lot in the length. All the different numbers associated with varying fits also kinda confuse me. 

I'm not huge on Merz tees. The materials are nice, but the construction hasn't wowed me, and the cuts are kinda weird. I'm happy enough with the two I have, all things considered, but I don't see myself buying more unless they're heavily discounted. For their whole long-bodied, wide-necked, rib-sleeved style I'd default to Tender Co.—better constructed with fabrics of a similar quality, plus you get to support a much smaller brand.

Edited by julian-wolf

Regarding Merz.. I have to say that after selling (literally) hundreds of their tees/henleys every season for years we have rarely ever seen a defective product even after washing, it really is quite rare.  

Best I’ve found are the Mister Freedom Skivvy tees. 
the runabout goods simple tee also fit great but have tiny neck hole opening and I feel like it’s going to tear every time I put the shirt on. 

I find the fabric on the Skivvy tees a bit corse/flat for my liking. Fit is good though.
I think my favorite loopwheeled fabric that I own is from Stevenson, the natural colored one. Fit is nearly perfect, just wish the neck was a little smaller.
Looking forward to trying Warehouse, as I prefer a shorter/boxier cut tee.
Flat Head THC tees are good, but I also find the body too long.

I have three Merz 2-thread tees, all size Large. They're great. I think they're the best-fitting fancy T-shirts I've owned - but I'm a tall, thin guy with a Scandinavian/Germanic type of build that they probably had in mind when they designed the cut. The fabric and quality on all of mine have been fantastic.

I think the Warehouse 4601 is the best T-shirt I've come across, though. The neck construction (and construction in general) is amazing. The fabric is the best of any fancy T-shirt I've handled. It's super soft and has so much character. According to their site, the fabric is made on a "vintage low-gauge knitting machine even rarer than a loopwheeler" with a #12 slub yarn. It's possible that they modified some vintage machine to get these results, but given the uniqueness and exceptional quality of this jersey, I'd say this is not a case of deceptive marketing or misrepresentation; I think this is better and more impressive than any loopwheeled fabric I've handled.

45 minutes ago, Broark said:

Flat Head THC tees are good, but I also find the body too long.

Really? What size do you wear, and which model THC, as I think there are more than one. I have the THC-201 in an L that skin tight on me (picked up from SE, and their size chart was way off; sorry Kiya). I copped some XL, and they are what most guys would consider a classic fit, I think: not too long, slightly boxy, not baggy. I'm 5'11 and the hem doesn't quite touch the top of the back pockets, just barely long enough to tuck if desired. 

@mpukas the ones I have are size 46, but I probably could wear a 44 as they’re a little oversized on me now. They’re from several years ago, maybe 2014? I’ve blasted them in the washer / drier and the length still comes down to the middle of the back pockets on most jeans. I also generally wear higher rise jeans than you do I think, so that could play into it as well. 

That does sound long. Prolly from a different run, or different model than what I have? 

Regardless of the cut of the jeans, they always end up at my hip bones. So with higher rise jeans, the back pockets fall lower. I've been wearing the TFH 3202 which are fairly low rise. 

I think finding "The Perfect Tee" (for YOU) is even harder than finding the perfect jeans (not that there really is such a thing...). There's far fewer aspects, details, etc. that go into a tee, so each element has a big impact on the end result. And as every person has a unique build, the same tee will look completely different on two different people. 

Yeah these might've been from a different run, no idea what lot number they are.
And I agree, finding the perfect tee is a bit more difficult than finding the perfect pair of jeans.
Lady White tee sized down are some of the best fitting tees for me, although I find the fabric to be a boring.