Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

11 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

No probs,

Often the case with vintage 'sportswear'  they're cut for a 1970's pre-fructose, sporting generation of Americans (broad at shoulder and narrow at hip) You should be ok with an XL they're a 80/20 cotton/polly blend so they have plenty of give.

Yeah I'm trying to get back to that type of physique. Technically I'm halfway there, but this is the more difficult half now. I'm not worried about the length either as I tuck everything.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Tezomeya makes a slew of womens-specific styles

Definitely check Tezomeya, my girlfriend snagged a couple when we were visiting them in 2017 in Japan and it definitely has become her favorite. Price can be a little disruptive for women used to "fast fashion prices" but it definitely worth every penny imo

Am I the only person here unsatisfied with Tezomeya? I think they're not worth what they cost. they don't look better with wear, and they stretch too much.
I have bought two and I have regretted it, between the cost, the fact I had to pay upfront (and wait A LOT) and the customs those were a major screwup. The kakishibu one faded to a lame sort of muddy grey within a summer. My first - and last - foray into JP made tees.

Edited by volvo240thebest

58 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

Am I the only person here unsatisfied with Tezomeya? I think they're not worth what they cost. they don't look better with wear, and they stretch too much.
I have bought two and I have regretted it, between the cost, the fact I had to pay upfront (and wait A LOT) and the customs those were a major screwup. The kakishibu one faded to a lame sort of muddy grey within a summer. My first - and last - foray into JP made tees.

You’re not the only one - I got a couple a few years back. Turned out they were handy for DIY and painting, and the Primark tees I used previously are better in fit, shape retention and durability. 

6 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

They have definitely more of a wabi sabi type spirit to the whole fabric, build, dye and fit. I definitely have to be in the mood to wear them and not wanting a clean looking fit. But they definitely fit a gap that nothing else (that I am aware of) does, e.g. natural dyes in creative patterns with hand done construction. 

Like if they made Ts with the same natural dyes and pattern creativity but with Lady White type fabric even-ness and build quality, would it have the same feel? 

And I only say Lady White because it's the only non-vintage loop wheeled Ts I own. 

Edited by Graytrain

2 hours ago, Graytrain said:

I only say Lady White because it's the only non-vintage loop wheeled Ts I own. 

Never realized Lady White used loopwheeled fabrics—any idea which factory they come from?

40 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Never realized Lady White used loopwheeled fabrics—any idea which factory they come from?

None at all. And I hope I wasn't speaking out my ass saying they were. Reading through this thread there seems to be some technicality into whether it is truly loopwheeled or not even if it doesn't have a side seam. 

They don't have any side seems and certainly hold their shape better than any other shirts I've worn. 

Lady White are not loopwheeled, just circular knit (much faster, modern knitting process with no side seam) as far as I know. 
Echoing the comments above about Tezomeya, I bought two of the shirts years ago and they aren't my favorite.
They're a few inches too long in the body and the dye color has dulled a bit over the years.

4 hours ago, Broark said:

Lady White are not loopwheeled, just circular knit (much faster, modern knitting process with no side seam) as far as I know. 

^ Was going to say just this.

Circular knit tees with no side side are not always loopwheeled. Loopwheeled is specific to those machines. There are other modern machines that circular knit. There are a lot of rumors, myth and lore floating 'round the net, but it seems the only surviving loopwheel machines are in Germany owned by Merz, and some in Japan. Conversely, on larger size loopwheeled tees, the material is cut and sewn together with side seams. 

Towards the end of 2019 I copped some TFH tees f/ 2nd. Love the THC-201. Perfect tee IMO. But they had limited sizes and colors. They had some other models that I knew nothing about, and got quite a surprise with this on - THC-001. Don't know if it's loopwheeled, I suspect not. Tag says 100% cotton, but has some stretch. Side seams. Very aggressive taper from chest to waist. Aggressive taper from shoulder to neck. Like nothing I've ever seen before. Size XL fits like a western size M. But, it works for my build and surprisingly comfortable. Most of you guys would hate it :P 

20200614_113830.thumb.jpg.b0758dc51ce71ad5518f02b7e207aa4e.jpg

826340889_20200614_114025-Copy.jpg.246908ddd644d08ddb67ae58312fb9f7.jpg

4 hours ago, lee porter said:

It’s just my opinion but I’ve think the warehouse 4601 tees are the best out there super comfortable and they wash up nice 

Yeah I've really enjoyed the 4601 t-shirts. I like a lot of the colors that it's available in too. I'm really looking forward to getting a few more colors in a couple weeks when they arrive.

7 hours ago, mpukas said:

Towards the end of 2019 I copped some TFH tees f/ 2nd. Love the THC-201. Perfect tee IMO. But they had limited sizes and colors. They had some other models that I knew nothing about, and got quite a surprise with this on - THC-001. Don't know if it's loopwheeled, I suspect not. Tag says 100% cotton, but has some stretch. Side seams. Very aggressive taper from chest to waist. Aggressive taper from shoulder to neck. Like nothing I've ever seen before. Size XL fits like a western size M. But, it works for my build and surprisingly comfortable. Most of you guys would hate it :P 

Around that time they were experimenting with a lot of different types of stretchier fabrics for t-shirts. We saw some of the samples in Japan the previous year. I believe they actually are 100% cotton with a crazy weave and/or yarn type. The fit sounds like very classic flat head. I love my flat had t-shirts and I'm glad they're basically indestructible bc I dont want to think about having to replace these ever. 

It's my understanding that the Warehouse T's are not loopwheeled. They are circle knit using a slub yarn that gives a texture reminiscent of loopwheeled fabric. They are still cool. Just a case of knowing what you are buying.

Loopwheeled does not always mean better quality in my experience. It's just a slower and older manufacturing process putting less stress on the fabric during knitting.
For instance those RMC loopwheeled tees are some of the worst nicer tees I've ever spent money on. They don't hold their shape whatsoever, fabric pills after a few washes.