Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

3 hours ago, i_denim said:

Alcohol induced purchase of a Lady White Tee last night. I am curious to see how it’s different from my $10 GAP tees :)

For a really large difference from your Gap tees you should really try Strike Gold or Studio D'Artisan's loopwheeled t-shirts.  When you get into the Japanese loopwheeled tees you really start to tell the difference between those and cheaper t-shirts pretty fast.

22 minutes ago, kiya said:

For a really large difference from your Gap tees you should really try Strike Gold or Studio D'Artisan's loopwheeled t-shirts.  When you get into the Japanese loopwheeled tees you really start to tell the difference between those and cheaper t-shirts pretty fast.

Lady White no good?

I think the reason Kiya mentions it is that Lady White tees are a bit lighter weight and flatted in texture, while SDA and Strike Gold are heavier and have a more interesting hand.
I like both types of tee, but living in a warm climate I wear my Lady White tees more often because they are a bit lighter weight and more breathable.
Speaking of loopwheeled tees I need to get some more for the summer, it's been a few years since I've stocked up and some of mine are starting to show some wear.
Plus with my recent weight loss I need a smaller size in a few different things.

3 hours ago, Broark said:

I think the reason Kiya mentions it is that Lady White tees are a bit lighter weight and flatted in texture, while SDA and Strike Gold are heavier and have a more interesting hand.
I like both types of tee, but living in a warm climate I wear my Lady White tees more often because they are a bit lighter weight and more breathable.
Speaking of loopwheeled tees I need to get some more for the summer, it's been a few years since I've stocked up and some of mine are starting to show some wear.
Plus with my recent weight loss I need a smaller size in a few different things.

Oh then it looks like I made the correct choice, even though out of ignorance. Am getting ready to spend a lot of time in Egypt and I dwell in hot/tropical weather anyway. The lady white tees may work better. I ordered from the bigtroublestore as I was keen on the Clark pocket tee, it’s not available on most stores. 

On 4/17/2018 at 9:46 PM, Broark said:

If the sizing works, I recommend the recent Loop & Weft San Joaquin Cotton tees & henleys (LRC1037 & LRC1018). Extremely comfortable, breathable and the fabric has a fair bit of give.

18 minutes ago, Broark said:

Not much shrinkage on them I'm afraid, if you look at the label it should say sanforized.

Yes, it does say Sanforized. I decided to keep them and experience them through wear and washes so I can size the next one correctly.

Also, I just figured they are not loop wheeled but seems like a decent shirt anyway. I find the neck opening is a bit too wide/loose though.

Thanks @kicks79 I did think of exchanging it for a smaller size but the two way shipping back & forth to Australia would make it pointless. My plan is to wear them hard and wash often and then buy the next one in the correct size. Are there any other brands of tubular / loop wheeled t-shirts on bigtroublestore?

On 4/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, Broark said:

Not many companies produce true loopwheeled fabric these days as far as I know.

Kanekichi Knitting Company Ltd, Japan and Merz B. Schwanen in Germany (or at least, the factory in the Swabian Alps that they use, don't know if they own it).

I have seen one blog post online to suggest that a mill in Japan called Toki Sen-i Co. Ltd also has some, but no other sources (whereas I have seen several sources and photos for Kanekichi). The Flat Head apparently has at least one of their own machines as well iirc?

Edited by Sensuki

Warehouse, SDA, et al still make true loopwheeled tees, even if they don’t own the machines/factory. I think Broark was just saying that relative to how many shirts are either seemed or circular knit, it’s still pretty uncommon. 

3 hours ago, kicks79 said:

Iron Heart ones seem to be pretty popular. They actually own their own machines if I'm not mistaken? 

don't know if they own the machines but the tees are quite nice. collar keeps it's shape through many wash cycles.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, kicks79 said:

Iron Heart ones seem to be pretty popular. They actually own their own machines if I'm not mistaken? 

Pretty positive they do not. From what I know, only Loopwheeler, Merz, and Flat Head actually own loopwheel machines, though there may be more. In fact, I remember reading on here that Flat Head actually lets loopwheeler use their machines or they make fabric for them or something like that. I may be wrong as well. @kiya would likely know.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

On 4/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, Sensuki said:

Kanekichi Knitting Company Ltd, Japan and Merz B. Schwanen in Germany (or at least, the factory in the Swabian Alps that they use, don't know if they own it).

I have seen one blog post online to suggest that a mill in Japan called Toki Sen-i Co. Ltd also has some, but no other sources (whereas I have seen several sources and photos for Kanekichi). The Flat Head apparently has at least one of their own machines as well iirc?

I think that's pretty much the situation.

LoopWheeler works as an agent between certain brands, the knitting mill(s) and the sewing houses helping the brands to develop the fabrics and styles.
besides, LoopWheeler owns 2 or 3 stores that sell products specifically developed for the stores. I guess this helps them to showcase this tiny niche of the market, fill gaps and make extra money...

The only two brands who actually own their own loopwheeling machines are Merz B. Schwanen and Flat Head.

Merz own an entire factory which they revived around ten years ago and the factory only produces for Merz outside of a couple of instances where they made product for another brand.  Flat Head owns 4 machines, one is toured around for display at shows and the other three are sitting in a factory producing their own t-shirts.  In Japan there are two main factories making true loopwheeled textiles, the big one is Kanekichi which was mentioned above.  Warehouse/Human Made uses them along with a slew of other Japanese brands, including Loopwheeler.