Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

U should definitely get a sg tee. They're really sething else...

Yeah, i did the same with all my tfh tees, sized down from 42 to 40 and loving the fit on size 40 way better.

And i did the same with sg tees, went from XL down to L.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a shout out to Phil and the guys at Lady White Co., my post about the holes in my grey tees somehow got forwarded to him and he acknowledged that that shouldn't be happening so early or quickly.

So he sent me a replacement pack in the black/blue colorway for nada.

Class act, he reached out to me when I wasn't really expecting anything.

Definitely a repeat customer here, quality product and good people! 

so Ill shut the fuck up now because I copped a Strike Gold loop wheeled t shirt today at SESF.  LOL tho because I got the XXL.  The XL fit like a glove but I dont want to have to do anything different to it than my other shirts.  That means cold wash, tumble dry and tossed into a drawer, if I even get that far.  I know these are washed but Im forever nervous about losing length.  

The shirt fabric is great.  XXL has a side seam, but I dont care.  Its a nice weight, not as heavy as Iron Heart shirts but it has substance.  Neck hole is perfect.  

I own quite a lot of TSG t shirts now and I haven't had issues with really any shrink.  They feel the same from when I tried them on to what they are now.  It did take me a little while to finally accept I'm a size S in basically every t shirt brand except for the Japanese Loopwheels which I pretty much always order size L.  At least in TSG and SDA.  TFH seems a bit more true but they don't use S/M/L.

Edited by dwilson123

Yes, I'd say a 44 or 46 would be fine. Broark can chime in, I think he's about that size... the thing to keep in mind with t shirts is that the measurements aren't absolute like on a rayon shirt or something, you can manipulate the measurements to suit you.

I bought a bunch of 42's because the 40's were skin tight on me, but after wearing them it was clear the 42's were sloppy and too big. I just stretch the 40s in the chest by wearing them etc and they end up perfect.

Yes, I'd say a 44 or 46 would be fine. Broark can chime in, I think he's about that size... 

I'd say somewhere around a 44 or 46 would be fine, depends on how you like your tees to fit.

I have two plain Flat Head THC tees in size 46 and now I'm wishing they were 44 since the 46 is a little long.

And that's saying a lot, since I'm fairly tall with a long torso.

Still on the hunt for some graphic tees that I like from Flat head in size 44!

Not really sure what FH is doing with their 46 tees.  I had a few of those as well, and couldn't believe how long they were.  While the width steps consistently from 44 to 46, the length jumps a ridiculous amount. It's like they are custom made for Dwight Howard or something...

Recently bought a The Strike Gold shirt SGT019 in black. Great short and boxy fit, incredibly comfortable, and the weight also feels pretty perfect - not light at all but not unbearably heavy either. Sizing wise I actually had to go with a size L, although I'm normally a size S in most European/American brands. So, as always, double check the size charts guys...

8E8cP2Ml.jpg

Excuse the dog hair:

YWKoKXbl.jpg

8XpzQ8sl.jpg

It's available in white and red as well IIRC.

Nice pickup Frost.  I love TSG crew necks.  May pick up a few more blanks as undershirts for this coming winter.  My "Desert Turtles" TSG crew neck has become a weekly staple for me.

Like you said I'm a Small in US sizing and require a L in TSG.  Though I feel that is not unusual for most Japanese brands.  I wear L in Samurai and SDA as well.  What I love about Japanese sizing is Large basically means "Bigger shoulders and chest" but it doesn't massively increase the waist.

On a side note I have a TSG v-neck in white.  It is getting some yellow pit stains.  But it has the TSG logo on the sleeve so I'm nervous to bleach the entire thing.  Any tips?

Yes, I'd say a 44 or 46 would be fine. Broark can chime in, I think he's about that size... the thing to keep in mind with t shirts is that the measurements aren't absolute like on a rayon shirt or something, you can manipulate the measurements to suit you.

I bought a bunch of 42's because the 40's were skin tight on me, but after wearing them it was clear the 42's were sloppy and too big. I just stretch the 40s in the chest by wearing them etc and they end up perfect.

Really funny thing is I have a 42 in black in TFH that fits me perfect.  Literally my best fitting t shirt.  Then I have the EXACT same model/print/shirt in heather gray and it fits me big.  It is really weird.

Nice pickup Frost.  I love TSG crew necks.  May pick up a few more blanks as undershirts for this coming winter.  My "Desert Turtles" TSG crew neck has become a weekly staple for me.

Like you said I'm a Small in US sizing and require a L in TSG.  Though I feel that is not unusual for most Japanese brands.  I wear L in Samurai and SDA as well.  What I love about Japanese sizing is Large basically means "Bigger shoulders and chest" but it doesn't massively increase the waist.

On a side note I have a TSG v-neck in white.  It is getting some yellow pit stains.  But it has the TSG logo on the sleeve so I'm nervous to bleach the entire thing.  Any tips?

Thanks man, and you're right, they are absolutely great. The more I wear it, the more I like it.

And yes, the sizing thing is of course true, especiall for T-Shirts or loopwheeled Sweats/Hoodies. For button downs I can usually get away with an S/M even in Japanese brands, but certainly not with tees.

And the "bigger shoulders & bigger chest" assessment seems to be true and I like this as well. I hate it when my t-shirts that I don't necessarily only want to use as a never-seen undershirt are skin tight, but with most western Brands an increase in sizing makes them way too loose everywhere else to look flattering IMO.

You could try to "spot-bleach" the thing, although I haven't tried it myself. Mix a bleach solution with water, turn the shirt inside out and work on a surface that you have protected from the bleach/don't care about it, and use a (white) washcloth to put the solution on the stains and then wash it off afterwards. There are also products that are labeled "color safe bleach" which supposedly only attack the stains and not the color, but I have no experience with them either. Good luck either way.

Finally found some time to dig through one of my older text books. This is actually the second printing of the first edition.

EEBD7FC9-FE82-49DB-BC8A-937BB23369A9_zps

I used to work with later, updated editions of this book during my studies. The parts dealing with loopwheel and sinkerwheel machines got edited out in the later editions as the use of these machines became less important.

Here we go into the different role the sinker plays in sinkerwheel machines and loopwheel machines.

4A94927A-D974-481F-9978-C11CD9C14FD0_zps

5490A558-3B5D-442C-8762-7F29F758FC90_zps

A little history lesson on the classification of circular knitting machines and alternate names for loopwheel/sinkerwheel machines

3CE87460-9C30-45FD-8F22-484A5B7B6188_zps

B376B936-F400-4CF4-A788-89F94B3A334B_zps

The development of circular weft knitting machines...

DC52AB6D-9BEF-46F1-AF66-702B2F624490_zps

Let's jump right into the type of specialty knits that these machines types produce and respective details of loop formation.

(Please keep in mind that loop formation process described here most likely refers to machines build and in use around the 70's and early 80's. These machines might differ in some technical aspects to the much older machines used in Japan or re-activated by brands like Merz b. Schwanen.)

63707CE6-185C-4F66-9425-40B78C23B449_zps

4181DEA1-903A-4DA0-8427-3C648C65664A_zps

1D61324E-90D9-4D9C-BC03-E5814E8E4F31_zps

EF87A1F1-82D7-48B6-AA48-5C327185DC76_zps

E1EAA18D-F49B-4AD4-B0EE-035D93525B58_zps

F856C45D-26CF-416C-9F9E-8B7846F3FCB1_zps

DD653ADB-C8F4-47A2-ACF1-5898AB90F528_zps

3CC30840-821E-49AB-BA46-D1F70010DA33_zps

3CE9B5ED-5347-4E0B-A907-ED3409EDA903_zps

Edited by Foxy2

Fantastic stuff, I wish more loop wheel machines were still around.

I know it might not be super noticeable, but I think it would be interesting if more creative minds had them at their disposal.

is this loopwheeled? i'm not really sure.

20150901_124159.jpg

i have this vintage t-shirt that was my dad's from a summer camp thing we did when i was a little kid. started wearing the shirt when i found it again a few years ago and it's held up well and always fit and felt great. never really looked at it close or really knew about loopwheel.

Edited by Rob060

If vintage means 1970's to 1990's and produced outside of Japan - most likely not Produced on a loopwheel machine.

Looking at the picture - the workmanship for the back neck tape to extend to the shoulders is currently used in efficient and cheap production. Most contemporary brands that use loopwheel fabric would opt for a workmanship that is perceived as higher quality - on par with the fabric cost and tee price tag...