Carabiners, Key Chains and Clips

niix

5 hours ago, oomslokop said:

is it an american thing to dangle all these heavy metal contraptions on your daks? how many keys do you have to carry around every day on average (serious question, it may reflect anthro/sociological differences?), is it more practical to have them keys hanging off a belt/beltloop than fishing them out of a bag? if a keychain hangs off a (heavy duty leather) belt, is it annoying/not to have to take off the keychain before removing the belt (when you want to change pants but wear the same belt)? do you end up changing pants less often so not washing jeans for months become more of a natural process than a fabricated regime to achieve sick fades? an american friend in jakarta was using a carabiner for a while and then did away with it arguing he didn't have to carry as many keys here. (it is unknown if this is a consequence of inlander indonesians slavishly open doors literally and figuratively for him, colonizer! XD.) and why not just put them in your manpurse (what i do)? :D

They seem like a bit of a waste of money to me especially those using precious metals, the only job my keyring has is... i can grab my keys at a glance rather than mistakenly picking up my Mrs keys when i leave the house. I am very partial to keyrings commemorating crappy visitor attractions tho, but i would never buy one to replace the one i have, if its perfectly good at doing its previously mentioned job.

I wouldn't mind a Pepe clip with telephone wire..

7 hours ago, oomslokop said:

is it an american thing...and why not just put them in your manpurse (what i do)? :D

It's pretty frowned-upon to carry a manpurse in most places in the US, hence all the key clips. Myself, thankfully being in a pro-manpurse country, I don't carry so much on me though I do have a Smoky Sumi fishhook key clip that I use when I step out without a bag. That's mainly because it takes two large keys to get into my house and they're not especially pocketable without a bag/jacket/coat.

I'm lucky enough to be able to carry my keys inside my pocket. I admit that nowadays it's a bit complicated to carry in pockets a wallet, a set of keys - sometimes including a bulky car fob, and a large phone....

19 hours ago, lance said:

Hey guys, my philosophy is a little different. Using sterling silver rather than base metal for something I carry or use daily adds a little elegance to utility. Different strokes….

I agree. I'm a big fan of the Master-Piece key clips. Current one is red, adds a bit of "Office Space" flair, if you know what I mean. It's long enough to tuck into back pocket or even front pocket depending on where the belt loops are. https://caliroots.fr/master-piece-equipment-key-holder-01691-be/p/73998?size=TAILLEUNIQUE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7e04XPgZfWwhMplJyzUkoRybIMhq5CWRLR8MH2CTRR6akq-po0XhAMaAqAwEALw_wcB

My original impetus for exterior key rings was not to lose track of where my keys are. I know, practical, huh? I walk out the door, pat my hip for keys, pat rear pocket for wallet, front pocket for phone, then I'm good to go. If I put the keys anywhere else I'm toast...as for what I have on the ring: very small combination lock (for luggage/computer bag; I travel a lot for work); key to apartment, bike lock, small mailbox key and office key. No car! 

Honestly if my style was more western/Harley-Davidson/rocker I'd have my wallet on a chain, too, for the same reasons. I've lost 2 wallets with EVERYTHING in them and it was such a PITA to get cards reissued etc.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I had no idea that office workers wore swanky keyrings by means of standing out from their cheaper keyring wearing peers, i'm surprised any of them even notice.

^^You'll always be 'dazzling' to me Iron-Horse.....wait!  do you mean the clip?

Yes, the clip Double 0; not sure it qualifies as man-bling. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...