Carabiners, Key Chains and Clips

niix

• 1 month later...

I got this brass fish hook as a freeby with a wallet reign I bought on eBay. It came with those beads and natural leather disc attached which I think is a nice touch.

BT81Imol.jpg

Are there good ways to eliminate key noise? I'm just stuffing them in my pocket but I thought maybe leather key covers might help a bit. Would be a great excuse to carry around yet more leather ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use an old locking carbiner like this because it was super rugged and the lock was extra security, but it got too heavy over time and I decided to make myself some pictured below, I use the one on the right more often because of the overbuilt swivel snap and length. 

41xVa62bJ2L._SY300_.jpg

14083386615_7dc4aa90a5_b.jpg

• 1 year later...

One thing that i immediately noticed that i didnt think of is that the leather key holder has muted most of the key noise when walking. Wohoo super stoked, i was a bit annoyed about that noise before..

2996FAD5-1C7E-4D54-9709-1E07FFB1AA39_zps

Edited by chewie

One thing that i immediately noticed that i didnt think of is that the leather key holder has muted most of the key noise when walking. Wohoo super stoked, i was a bit annoyed about that noise before..

Nice simple setup you got going there Chewie.  B)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bumping this old thread.

I want to get a chain for my keys. Kind of like a wallet chain but in reverse, i.e. a chain that is snapped on belt on back and securing to keys in front pocket. Both brass and nickel or interest (or even silver?). Leather versions with some metal hardware would be great as well.

You guys have any good suggestions?

I've been looking at the Kobashi, but these all seem to snap to belt loop rather than actual belt. Don't know if this type of hook is appropriate for snapping on belt.

IMG_7332_2048x.JPG?v=1571438776

Edited by whenpancomestoshovel

I didn’t know/remember this thread existed. Here is a sterling silver carabiner and feather from Lynch Silversmith in Japan. Tats is great to work with and offers some really cool pieces and great workmanship. Check out his padlock. www.link-and-chain.com.

D69CE7D5-4D5A-4F3F-9211-0DD2FD19220A.thumb.jpeg.30eabe88d4abfb5ca4261080fafd8e5f.jpeg315B5B6C-5FE9-408B-849F-AB7F779D557A.thumb.jpeg.c78532e6b4e540b031c8a8c9ba27e9f2.jpeg
5D339A70-FF97-4B07-A782-FC09D38C5B21.thumb.jpeg.266eb376eb13fdd52b55fea53e5c9646.jpeg

5 hours ago, whenpancomestoshovel said:

Bumping this old thread.

I want to get a chain for my keys. Kind of like a wallet chain but in reverse, i.e. a chain that is snapped on belt on back and securing to keys in front pocket. Both brass and nickel or interest (or even silver?). Leather versions with some metal hardware would be great as well.

You guys have any good suggestions?

I've been looking at the Kobashi, but these all seem to snap to belt loop rather than actual belt. Don't know if this type of hook is appropriate for snapping on belt.

IMG_7332_2048x.JPG?v=1571438776

How much are you looking to spend?  Are you interested in brass or silver?  You got ROAD, Peanuts & Co, Lynch, Calee.  All three except Lynch does brass if silver isn’t your thing or price range.

40 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

I’ve been thinking about selling my Ironheart wallet chain and key chain.  I barely wear mine due to it being really long.

Did the same thing a couple years ago. Long wallets look cool but just aren’t practical for me. Plus I hated how much they stuck out of my back pocket all the time. 
I have a basic bifold now. Not as cool but still holds my plastic cash. Haha 

24 minutes ago, Broark said:

I always wanted on for those Flat Head key rings. 

I love mine and now with the news of change for The Flat Head brand I’m glad to have something so simple yet cool from them

is it an american thing to dangle all these heavy metal contraptions on your daks? how many keys do you have to carry around every day on average (serious question, it may reflect anthro/sociological differences?), is it more practical to have them keys hanging off a belt/beltloop than fishing them out of a bag? if a keychain hangs off a (heavy duty leather) belt, is it annoying/not to have to take off the keychain before removing the belt (when you want to change pants but wear the same belt)? do you end up changing pants less often so not washing jeans for months become more of a natural process than a fabricated regime to achieve sick fades? an american friend in jakarta was using a carabiner for a while and then did away with it arguing he didn't have to carry as many keys here. (it is unknown if this is a consequence of inlander indonesians slavishly open doors literally and figuratively for him, colonizer! XD.) and why not just put them in your manpurse (what i do)? :D

I carried about 10 keys around with me while I was living in the US, 3 keys for my house, one car key, 6 keys for work. Way easier to leave on my belt because I was constantly opening locked doors. Since I moved to Japan I have downgraded to only one key. Current wallet chain has space for quite a few more keys if I ever need it. 

IMG_20191202_111958.jpg