What are you growing today?

BeachHouse

Hey gents and ladies,

Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to gardening and growing of all varieties. Whether you have a herb garden in pots outside your window, a garden full of flowers or edible goodness, actually make your living from growing, whatever - all are welcome.

Pics, discussions, questions, tips, all sorts.

What do you grow? What do you want to grow? What does your set up look like? Do you prefer growing things you can eat or things you like to look at?

To get the ball rolling I'll try to get some photos of what I have at the moment up soon. It's a bit of mixed bag - some flowers and some pretty easy to grow herbs and veggies. Hoping to get a proper set up of garlic, onions, carrots and lettuce varieties going though.

Planted some "Early Girl" tomatoes a few weeks ago. The heat here is such that nothing can stay alive (let alone grow) without constant care.

The plants are dead. Ashes to ashes...

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty good harvest yesterday, heirloom Brandyboy's are coming in like crazy. Tons of cucumbers also, but a lot are coming in bitter. I've read it could be irregular watering? Any insight?

LASTharvest.jpg

I started pulling out the seasonal squash and some of the tomatoes that didn't perform too well, and am trying to put together a Fall crop. I'd love to get asparagus going, any experience with it?

Pretty good harvest yesterday, heirloom Brandyboy's are coming in like crazy. Tons of cucumbers also, but a lot are coming in bitter. I've read it could be irregular watering? Any insight?

LASTharvest.jpg

I started pulling out the seasonal squash and some of the tomatoes that didn't perform too well, and am trying to put together a Fall crop. I'd love to get asparagus going, any experience with it?

• 6 months later...

I thought this might be an interesting thread. I know some of you Superfuturians are all about cultivating your own crops, flowers, fruits... whatever.

Please share any and all of your pictures, experiences, advice, anecdotes et al. I think this could be pretty interesting. All things Super Gardening/Farming oriented.

I would even love to see pictures of your gardening tools.

This is my first season really taking this seriously. MMG has been helping me get everything going when she is in Portland. These are just as much her plants as they are mine.

A few weeks ago we planted beets, peas, some lettuce, marion-berries, two kinds of blue-berries and black raspberries. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated as we get closer to the harvest time.

A few cell-phone pictures of the action.

5x4ml3.jpg

20frejo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know there's been at least 2 gardening threads already, and somehow they keep getting shuffled in the mix...hopefully this one sticks!

I'll get pics up pretty quick here, but we just got everything planted for our first stage. After fucking up for a couple seasons in a row we finally figured out how to stage what we plant so we harvest all season long, and not all at once. That, and how to appropriately spread everything out to maximize each plant's production (I'll rant for pages about how important this is). Going in for this Summer:

Tomatoes:

Sungold (the best ever)

Red and yellow pear

Black Cherry

Cherokee Purple Heirloom (the best heirloom I've ever eaten by far)

Brandyboy

Yellow Banana (smallest plant (determinate), with an absurd yield)

Squash:

Crookneck / yellow summer

Cannonball and eightball

Zuchinni

Misc:

Thai Eggplant

Japanese Eggplant

Okra (highly recommended)

Burpless cucumbers

Red, yellow, orange, green bell peppers

Honeydew melon

Blueberries

Strawberries

Bush Beans

and finally...corn. I know, such a waste. The wife wants it, so I'm gonna plant a 8x8 block...seriously thinking of making her till before and rip the dead stalks out at the end of the season so she can fully appreciate the hassle.

I feel like I'm forgetting something.

• 1 month later...

I've started a "bonsai." I use quotes because it was a pretty big sprout, so I'm hoping for a 2-3 foot tree at the smallest. It survived the root ball hacking and foliage die-off so I thought I'd get some pictures of the new growth.

I don't think I'll get too hardcore with this, wiring in the shape and all that. Just going to keep up with the root pruning and let it grow.

I'll cut back the last of the big leaves soon, once a few more little leaves grow in.

5836831131_29c783af36_z.jpg

Pretty active gardener here. Have some bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, bush beans, radishes, and cucumbers right now. If I had more room I'd definitely grow corn and pumpkins, maybe squash.

Word to the wise--if you grow tomatoes and live in an area populated with deer, grow marigolds. For whatever reason, deer hate the smell of these flowers. I've got a few of the huge 4' variety in my garden.

Used to have a Norfolk Pine. Had the plant for 11 years. Gave it to a family member to take care of and it came back to me half-dead. Unfortunately, it was beyond revival. I may get another one sometime, since I have nothing in the house right now.

i thought there was another thread dedicated to growing your own little plants but i guess i confused that

i have 5 herb plants i use for cooking and the taste is way better than anything i ever bought in a bottle. granted i bought 4 of 5 of these suckers, maintaining them can also be a challenge for some (my first couple basil plants just died, dunno why)

so i don't know which translation is more accurate but this is my marjoram/majoram. i planted the seeds in april and now i'm seeing some major growth, pretty happy with em :)

5853352940_8999b45b59_z.jpg

my basil plant, i've been taking care of better than the first couple attempts. nice sturdy little plant. tastes awesome too. lately i haven't been eating that much pasta so it's been growing a lot ;)

5852800479_54091e87ab_z.jpg

lemon balm. goes great with curry and stuff like that

5853352438_5a16e575d9_z.jpg

parsley, it's actually greener than it looks. the pic came out kinda crappy. this is my second plant, the first one had some louses (?) so i threw it away... i'm not gonna eat bugs

5853352206_6679994855_z.jpg

rosemary - one of my favourites. this tiny plant needs to grow, so i can't use that much :\ maybe i need to put it in a bigger pot

5852799817_264a288b01_z.jpg

^ I want to start up some basil too. Some friends of ours have a basil plant they've kept up with for years. The thing looks like a damn tree at this point. It even has woody bark all over the stem and branches.

• 4 weeks later...