Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

That's very cool you photo documented denim archaeology in action. Looking forward to seeing pics of the denim once you get it cleaned up.

There was a six inch space in the roof, they filled it with rock and stuffed parts of it with clothing. I am still having trouble posting video?

Sansome1877, can't rep you any more but thanks so much for sharing all of these great pictures. If you ever need help crawling around in the desert, I'd love to lend a hand. I need a vacation...

Mike, incredible find! Thanks for posting the great detail photos. The details to the Moore's like the curved top of the watch pocket, the plain rivets and the simple back pocket design are very cool. Also, the crotch area looks like there's a separate piece sewn on for re-enforcement without a rivet.

With the belt loops and cinch back would you date them to the 1920's-30's?

Wouldn't it be cool if Rising Sun reproduced these beauties.

W.N. Moore better check himself -- them trademarked arcs on the back of those joints will get him sued. As always Mike, you contributions are tops.

5886697492_c40a50f72b_z.jpg5886124831_3c032a637c_b.jpg

I just noticed, these pants have no yolk. Cash- I think these might pass as being different enough... not to infringe on Levi's trademark? (more like a V?)

Crownzip- I sure would like to remake these pants!! Rising Sun is top notch quality, but I'm not really sure who I would get to make these pants?

As for the age of the pants...On page 19, I posted the Moore pants that I found almost a year ago, these pants came from the same structure as the pants above^ The pants on page 19 had news print in the pocket, from 1922, it also has no belt loops. I have been thinking that W.N Moore might have added belt loops the same time Levi did? I think the two pants above^ (with really small belt loops... probably date to 1922-24.

fit pics are great. you going to patch 'em up an wear them out? i've seen worse in the jeans repair thread...

Thanks Paul and slab^...killer b- I can't button them up in the front, I would have to drop 20 lb's to fit into them. The buttons would have to be worked over(the buttons would just pull right out, in this condition) Think I will wait for the repros.

5887014864_8a2b99e78d_b.jpg

If Rising Sun wouldn't reproduce the W.N. Moore I wonder if Warehouse would? Mike, the fit pic really shows off how cool they look with the wide cut legs and cinch back.

Seems to be a heavy weight denim, with no selvage anywhere on the pant....Not really sure about Warehouse?

Have you ever talked with Larry McKaughan? Warehouse does his Hellers Cafe repros.

The yoke-less look hasn't been done much and lends a good old-time vibe. I could probably do without the crotch strap though.

Mike awesome stuff!! I love the crotch strap. I've actually wanted a pair with the crotch strap like the photos i posted of the boss of the road jeans months ago. If your going to remake a pair of jeans, do it 100% accurate. Otherwise it's an inspiration pair and maybe that's what someone is going for. I know LVC in the past has screwed up details on a couple of there repro pieces.

Have you ever talked with Larry McKaughan? Warehouse does his Hellers Cafe repros.

The yoke-less look hasn't been done much and lends a good old-time vibe. I could probably do without the crotch strap though.

Good idea joseph- I have talked with both of them and we might do something with Warehouse in the future. Thanks again for the cigars a few months back... I really liked your info on the cigar unions:)

eltopo- I am with you, 100% or not at all- this means the crotch strap stays:D

killer-b- never thought about that^ do you really think that many people would be interested, in old garments at a traveling museum???

rivet, Paul, riff, hollows,cash,slab,aho, roy6 etc..... Thanks for the rep

killer-b- never thought about that^ do you really think that many people would be interested, in old garments at a traveling museum???

yeah, i reckon. dunno what it's like in the US, but here there's a number of museums with a strong interest in clothes & costume, who already put on touring exhibitions. i'd say a well curated show with old pieces placed in context, maybe some repro's to show side-by-side, and some pics and info on how you found them could be very popular.

5932445408_4fb2aa0df3_z.jpg5932452380_7516b0144a_z.jpg

A friend was down for a visit, we went to the local antique store's, in search of some old photos.I picked this one up for $2.50... I think the kid in the middle might be wearing denim? Check out the bare foot kid wearing the horizontal striped pants. On second thought, the kid in the middle is probably not wearing denim pants?

I've been considering my opinion, and have revised. Crotch reinforcements are A-OK. Unfortunately it is moot, as if they meet production, it is unlikely that A: I could afford them, and B:I could slip them past the fiancee. (especially considering that I finally acquired a pair of Wabash!)