Americana

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
speculation on what type of toothpaste mark mcnairy uses.

2 hypotheses:

- no-brand plain white old-fashioned toothpaste

-mark mcnairy x aquafresh collaboration toothpaste that spits out red/white/blue stripes with digital camo cavity defenderz fresh mint stripe

--------------------

back to topic,

i got a boner for either an o'connell's madras shirt or a j.press one

summer's pretty much over, but fuck it

can't find a cool red/blue/yellow pattern one :(

also, i can't get behind gant/gant rugger shit

fuck that

gimme my madras

i'll layer it somewhere for fall

back to topic,

i got a boner for either an o'connell's madras shirt or a j.press one

summer's pretty much over, but fuck it

can't find a cool red/blue/yellow pattern one :(

also, i can't get behind gant/gant rugger shit

fuck that

gimme my madras

i'll layer it somewhere for fall

now's the best time - shit's on sale everywhere.

fuck gant rugger. michael bastian is a hack. shit looks like an A&F subsidiary.

now's the best time - shit's on sale everywhere.

fuck gant rugger. michael bastian is a hack. shit looks like an A&F subsidiary.

Gant looks awful and the brand is weak, but I can't hate on Bastian even if I try. There goes a man who's unquestionably doing his own thing without cruising on the overtness of a Thom Browne-type look. (sidenote: TB is a visionary, no doubt, but everyone else? They just jumped on the popularity of the look as some sort of easy-way-out from actually designing and having a real point of view).

Granted, Bastian's runways can look goofy when the ski imagery gets out of hand, but if you break it down, true American sportswear only ever feels elegant when it comes from him. He does it, too, without sacrificing the ebullience of dressing like that Certain Other Designer that's sort of tangentially involved in interpreting the way Americans dress (but that's okay, That One is taking a more cerebral route to achieve completely different goals -- plus, with all the European influences, it's not striving for the same kind of American experience).

All that to say: elegant chinos n shit, but not dainty, so big ups for that, Mikey B.

Are the prices similar to US retailers (Context, Odin, etc.)?

i didnt get to do a super-detailed examination since i was dropping in on the way back to the showroom, but from what i saw prices were in line with what we've seen from other retailers. they also had a lot of the pieces that other stores wont really touch, including a color on the bicycle cape i had never seen before, plus a huge footwear selection... going to try to and make another stop by there friday and take a closer look at everything. needles shit is also pretty wild.

also saw the big homie daiki in there, wanted to strong-arm him for a job

• 3 weeks later...

they don't even have a web store!! (yet)

their tumblr is the best store-related tumblr i've seen

so many teaser shots...

http://reststore.tumblr.com/

also, wtf is this "MWR X MCNAIRY X BROOK BROTHERS" shirt ?

tumblrl8z7q5ig6q1qd0mq5.jpg

and all those white vibram-soled shoes make me wet :o

i want to dance in them

Guest White Man's Burden

Kinda pissed that the Rest Store's been blowing up so big lately. It felt like a nice secret for a few months there - not that I could afford any of that shit, but still...

i definitely wouldnt sweat mwr blowing up. the product is dope but theres no item (like a rick owen dunk, for instance) that is recognizable enough to the naked eye for it to become an internet status symbol. it will just be low key, limited quantity shit that the usual suspects will stay up on.

won't be seeing it at urban outfitters anytime soon. (watch me kick myself 1.5 years later when this comes true)

edit: oops, just looked at the inventory blog. game over.

Guest White Man's Burden
i definitely wouldnt sweat mwr blowing up. the product is dope but theres no item (like a rick owen dunk, for instance) that is recognizable enough to the naked eye for it to become an internet status symbol. it will just be low key, limited quantity shit that the usual suspects will stay up on.

won't be seeing it at urban outfitters anytime soon. (watch me kick myself 1.5 years later when this comes true)

edit: oops, just looked at the inventory blog. game over.

game, set, match, brotha. i don't even like them being in nepenthes or have jake davis' douchecunt ass talking about how "real dem boyz is son"

Guest White Man's Burden

Also can we discuss how badly Sartorially Inclined has been shitting it up lately? It used to be a slightly decent, barely par blog, but now its literally a day in, day out, Michael Bastian JO fest.

Guest White Man's Burden

I'm sure he probably followed it up with "These joints cold like a OE from the bodega. Too ill".

He fucking sucks. Shitty content, shitty prose. What was I even thinking.

Mr Crew, Mr Mort, Secret Forts - those are the only guys that I think have something good to say. Occasionally Drinkin and Dronin too.

It gives me joy to see that APC is way out of touch and super late to the game.

Guest White Man's Burden

Too little, too late. What did they even do, take a chore jacket and "break it in", trim up the measurements? APC fucking blows and mostly has.

The only thing you can credit them with is supplying selvedge denim to NYC on an easily accessible level in like '98 before most ppl here were remotely up on that shit. I actually used to think APC was dope in '98 when I was a wee tyke and Soho was on the cusp of mallification.

End rant.