Artist Denim

Guest KoCHiRO1985

Here's my very first post on SUFU! Have been lurking for too long....

Am really keen to get a pair from Gun, but his website seems to be down. Does anyone know what's up?

I thinking of getting the #0 fabric, in mechanic straight cut. Just wondering if I should get my true waist size, or if the waist will stretch beyond the tagged size. Have read that its a loose weave, and that it will stretch easily with a few wears. But not sure about how much it will stretch.

I'm pretty sure he has been using his paid MobileMe (before apple migrated everything to ICloud) service. It's probably acting buggy as there've been a few glitches during the transition. He should have until June 2012 to use the iWeb hosting/publishing service before he needs to transition to a third party hosting site. Or, maybe he's already in the process of migrating everything over to another host.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Monsenone, what cut did you get? I got a mechanic and it was tight too start, tighter than crap after post soak, but stretched out quickly and a nice fit now.

Sorry if I am about to burst somebody's bubble but this news should be known before anybody bought the above jeans...

From Iron Heart forum thread:

Mr.G

I found out where the denim were from.

About 6 rolls of denim Mr Gun has were from the mill that is making IH denim.

Those are inferior fabrics which we call "rank C" quality.

We classify our fabrics into rank A, rank B ( a good part can be used

for products ) and rank C ( so bad that none can not use for products )

This time, our C fabrics happened to mixed with another oz denims.

The company buying inferior fabrics in Japan bought those fabrics and

somebody bought in Thai.

I just discussed about this with Mr. Ono TSS.

He promised our IH denim (includes 21oz) never sold to anybody from now on.

Could you please state this to our customer at forum?

These are IH denim. but these are "rank C" denim which never used for

our products.

From now on, our denim will never be sold to anybody even if it's poor

quality fabric like "rank C"

We are very sorry for the problem. I will take care severely and be

careful not to happen again.

H

Original source: http://www.ironheart...p?topic=2123.30

:(

Edited by redragon

I don't think anyone claimed the mill sold the denim illegitimately, nor that it wasn't brand new.

the claim is that it was originally made for iron heart (the specs would seem to support that), and iron heart didn't like the quality. only a few people directly involved can really know if that is true or not

in the end, looks like some nice jeans will be made, no harm done

(though it seems haraki is not very happy about this, and I would guess the mill would not sell off iron heart spec denim again)

• 2 weeks later...

And now part 2 of my birthday denim binge featuring "non big name japanese brands" (see tender co thread for part 1)

I ordered from gun the following specs:

mechanic size 31

inseam 36

fabric #1

pocket fabric #12

double stitch hidden selvage for coin pockets

top button #1, middle buttons #4, and rivets #5

dark blue threads

no cince, no design on back pockets

blue label and I asked for it to be on the coin pocket not the back pocket

here are the results:

artistfront.jpg

artistback.jpg

The color is way lighter and bluer than in real life. More like this:

artistpocket.jpg

artistlabel.jpg

artistfly.jpg

And as for fit:

artistfit.jpg

almost exactly like my diors

25.jpg

So now my thoughts:

The fabric is truly all that's been hyped up about it. It's plain stunning to see in the light. I am already thinking about how I want to tweak my specs for a fabric 0 pair. His craftsmanship is indeed very good.

However some important developments. First notice that there is a different leather patch with words now instead of the one with just the logo as featured in all the pics in this thread. Second the little label in the inside of the waist with the japanese sun and the name of the mill is gone. I notice also that a long time ago the "artist" label used to be in his logo's font but now (as pictured on his site) is only simple block lettering. All of these changes, while not a deal breaker and certainly don't diminish his work, were a slight surprise to me. I do wish I had the old leather patch and that mill label was certainly a charming touch.

Now the big surprise -- these fit very slim like my Diors. From the measurements, the front rise is very high, accurate in terms of his measurements on his website. The waist, thigh, knee, and leg opening however are all slightly slimmer than what the website says. The waist was more 30 than 31. The upper thigh was slightly over 11 instead of 12 and the knee was 8 instead of 8.25 and the leg opening was 7.5 instead 7.75. I'm ok with the fit as is but I think I should have gone with a size 32 to account for all the variations that I'm sure are impossible to control for. When I get another pair in the #0 fabric, I may size up or maybe I'll even consider the black smith cut.

• 2 weeks later...

did you have to size up on your #1 denim for the shrinkage? cause the 32 designers look like they have the perfect measurements. And does the #0 denim look as green as it does in those photos? The sugar cane denim he has is just too beautiful to pass up

yes i did size up by one but i'm counting on them stretching out cuz it's a tad bit slimmer than I expected.

the #0 denim is not exactly like the photos. the photos make it look like a very vibrant sea green whereas in real life it looks like a flat teal. The #1 fabric on the other hand was just as bright as it looks on screen

Does anyone else who owns them find that they are tighter than the measurements? I May end up going some mechanics just cause itll be a more versatile cut. And also do you know if he does custom patches? because this is a grad present I was thinking of getting one to signify that!

• 4 weeks later...