posters & prints

i had to check if it really was called frozen time in japan and not some custom job, otherwise i would have been really jealous of hoppman. guy got to work at bureau mirko borsche. lucky.

i saw that earlier today! also read his interview with borsche.. so depressed afterwards. the US and europe are literally polar opposites when it comes to design ideology :(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
how can anyone not be sick of star wars by now.

it's a classic science fiction film with iconic characters and memorable imagery. that's how. was tempted to neg for such a dumbass opinion, but felt it'd be too petty...

i'd half-way agree with you if you said it's a classic fantasy film

i would never hesitate to say, that now, people are more interested in the franchise's 'aura' or reputation its fans have cultivated rather than the movies. It's the same with many other big name fictional properties like star trek - though which has a seemingly higher degree of authenticity.

I guess you could say it's just indicative of modern subcultures. People long to be part of a group? mmmn. Either way, it's pastiche bordering on the parody. People look their noses up at Avatar, but it's the same flipping thing.

I look forward to more of your contributions to this thread, particularly if it means more minimal posters from flickr!

Call it fantasy if you want, that's nitpicking and besides the point - it's a classic film at this point. They're great movies that myself and many others love dearly and rewatch often, far from being "sick of". But those posters aren't great because of the movies themselves. It's all about the movies' iconic imagery and characters, which those posters did a effective job of highlighting. I definitely don't see anything wrong with pastiche when it is well done (like these posters are).

Also, none of those posters are from flickr, but just so you don't leave disappointed:

far.jpg

wim_crouwel_cover_design_book.JPG

5427363580_39ae7ec6ef_o-700x500-700.jpg

4468011965_f785ef2249_o.jpg

4459119724_603756a076_o.jpg

3328899964_d0844d5694_o.jpg

fece2c5a28850a5bb76576297e974dc8.jpg

3660629820_c1ca25f888_o.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

found this in my folks attic. late 60s screenprinted ad for a show at ca museum of sci & industry at usc. ive been trying to find info on the actual show with no luck, sounds like it was a collaboration with local printers and the mighty KRLA (the old one when they were still had a music format and not some shitty traffic/news thing).

photo4_zpseafb0afa.jpg

Did a quick search, will be adding more later.

cwnYt.jpg

One of the first posters I saw that struck a chord with me. I do enjoy minimalist movie posters because if you have seen the movie they make you feel like you are having an inside joke with the creator. But it also makes sense that you see them more often as homages rather than used to promote a movie.

FugDg.jpg

This one is, of course, the same movie. However, it takes a very different approach and was horrible in such a way that I couldn't help myself but laugh. The internet has not been kind in its portrayals of Woody.

aEKz4.jpg

This poster was arresting for me. I loved watching this movie but there an unquestionably some squeamish moments. Having a person's eyes missing somehow makes them immediately distrustful. A person's eyes show more emotion/honesty for me than I expected, and just seeing Dunst's smile suddenly makes it macabre.

ONp9g.jpg

Love this film, love Hayo Miyazaki and his studio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...