vacation advice superthread

eric2019

i have an insane amount of mileage

but not sufficient to fly me back to the land of rising sun.

i shall use my mileage to go to SF / NYC.

if anyone wants to bro-down, let me know

Yeah it's Alaska. I wouldn't mind going after seeing the film 30 Days of night... :confused:

alaska, at least the part where i was born and raised, is nothing like that movie. granted, there are barren, frozen tunderous parts of alaska but i think the prettiest region is southeast. temperate rain forests, glaciers, fjords... and you get to see the aurora borealis!

co_20030501_00547.thumb.jpg

(over my home town)

if i could go anywhere....

right now: medellin, colombia or eritrea (only cuz you can't access it from ethiopia and i'm not trying to go to sudan)

We'll be bro-ing down for sure.

PM me with the exact dates within a day of your arrival and we'll set up some good daytime drinking sessions.

I would say Shanghai but since I'm already planning to go this summer, I've been interested in Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires recently. I'm mostly interested in the food but I wouldn't mind seeing the beaches and the people.

And I want to go to Kentucky.I don't think there's anything to do but I met a guy from Kentucky once. He was interesting.

Antwerp, Amsterdam, Stockholm, London, Paris, Lisbon, Canary Islands, Iceland, Barcelona, Athens, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Belize, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Tokyo, Nepal, Alaska,

the list goes on as far as places I want to visit.. but If I had to choose one place I'd go if it was absolutely free is probably Barcelona or Paris..

I'm plannin to hit up Europe for a little post-bar exam vacation in August. Never been, and there are countless countries I would like to the check out, but I'm tryin to concentrate on like maybe two or three...so I can actually experience the particular countries in depth.

wanna go to a place that:

- won't be too uncomfortably hot/humid

- not crazy expensive (guess that cancels out london)

- fashion presence

- lots of historical sites

- good food

guess this doesn't really provide a good criteria to narrow down europe...how bout just suggest your favorite european countries. Thanks!

well ...

I would say italy/ spain/ germany - loads of cool things to see, great food in italy+spain - and not too hot if you go at the right time of year

Euro fashions can be a bit wack - so fuck the fashion and go for a good trip

Eastern Europe is waaaaaaay cheaper, and fun, but the food ain't so hot

Berlin meets all of your qualifications. The ctiy is poor as hell so everything is inexpensive, there's tons of art and endless history. Monuments and museums and galleries everywhere.

Falling that I'd say Amsterdam. It's more expensive but the fashion/art scene is more established. I personally don't think dutch food is as good as german food, though, and most people would probably agree.

Both of these cities are pretty northern so the temperature will be mild.

I'd say both Dutch and German cuisines are equally mediocre. The thing is though.. nobody eats Dutch food in Amsterdam. It's the most culturally diverse city in the world in terms of nationalities. As a result, you can enjoy pretty much any cuisine you can think of in Amsterdam. You'll have an excellent meal for 6 to 10 euros in this city.

On the other hand, gagarin is probably right in that Berlin is cheaper. It has more of an arty/squatted/experimental feel to it. There seems to be more room for new and upcoming artists.

They are both great places to visit. And there are so many more great places to visit.. you really can't go wrong.

berlin, paris, london.. 3 of the most important cities in europe imo. since you mentioned fashion, I think its very present in all 3, and so is culture and everything else. london is expensive, berlin is quite cheap and paris roughly somewhere in between. you can find decently prices accomodation in all of them, but for example food is quite a bit more in london. you can access all 3 by train quite easily.

maybe go somewhere in italy if thats something that interests you, great food for sure but then again you can find great food in any big city if you know where to go. like you said its hard to narrow down, spain has great places as well, for example.

A friend of mine told me Amsterdam was a really great place, with an interesting culture, and really friendly people.

Otherwise, Nice, in the south of France is a truly great city. Culture is interesting, it is close to Italy, you can find various landscapes nearby, it is easily accessible, food is DAMN good, and I think you can find cheap and nice places to stay at.

Greece has everything you are looking for, minus fashion and with the occasional heat wave.

London is not particularly expensive if your smart about it, e.g. avoiding the overtly tourist places and cuisine from all variety of cultures is available. :)

thats true. buy shit from berlin, hang around in london :)

London is not particularly expensive if your smart about it, e.g. avoiding the overtly tourist places and cuisine from all variety of cultures is available. :)

Nope, with our exchange rate, it's pretty much expensive all around.

The only thing even remotely comparable to US prices is beer (even taking the poor exchange rate into consideration).