vacation advice superthread

eric2019

That's a pretty complex operation - it reads like the script for Ocean's 14.

Pickpockets are active in every major city in the world. Petty thieves are everywhere where there are tourists. Be smart and always try to blend in if possible.

Be smart and always try to blend in if possible.

Good advice, but as much as I know this, I always feel like I stand out, even here in the US. I plan on travelling around europe come next winter (germany, france, sweden, etc) and although all my herritage is based on europeans, it just looks like I speak english.

any tips?

(China was a joke.)

as a heads up, do be extra careful with your money etc as there are plenty of pickpockets in Paris. Here's one of the many schemes:

small group (3-4) of well trained pickpockets will linger on the entry/exit ramps at Metro (subway) stations looking for a tourist exiting the Metro (subway) car. Once the targeted tourists are identified and communicated among the gang they will mix in with the group of departing Metro passengers heading for the escalator which provides access to the street level. Two gang members will locate themselves on the escalator step immediately behind the targeted tourists. A third gang member will locate himself several steps lower on the escalator. As the target reaches the halfway point on the escalator ride the third man will begin moving up the escalator by politely tapping people on the shoulder and gently pushing his way pass them until he reaches a position just in front of the targets. At this point he is very near the exit point of the escalator. Just as the escalator is about to deposit him onto the landing the third man, now in position directly in front of the targets, reaches into his pocket and pulls out a handful of coins, but awkwardly drops several onto the landing. Stepping onto the landing he bends over to pick up the coins, just as the target individuals are forced to step off of the moving escalator and bump hard into the gang member who is being very deliberate in picking up his coins. As the escalator continues to deposit people on the landing everyone, including the two pickpockets on the step behind the targets, are thrown violently into each other at which time the pickpockets quickly and without notice remove the wallets from the back pockets of the men in front of them.

With all of the commotion and multiple people being thrown into each other no one is even aware that the wallets have been lifted until it is far too late and the gang is long gone.

my GOD what a post! you're going to scare the living daylights out of everyone who hasn't been abroad!

no need to be paranoid about crime, every city has it. paris is so full of tourists you're unlikely to be the only one on your subway car, anyway . . .

Good advice, but as much as I know this, I always feel like I stand out, even here in the US. I plan on travelling around europe come next winter (germany, france, sweden, etc) and although all my herritage is based on europeans, it just looks like I speak english.

any tips?

(China was a joke.)

If you must know, tourists tend to dress warmer, carry around maps and a bag or backpack. They also look up and around (at the buildings) instead of in front when they walk. I see teams of two/three undercover cops walking around here sometimes trying to pose like tourists, and they always wear a small backpack and tie a light (rain) jacket around their waist.

It's too much work to figure out how to blend in all those different places. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just enjoy your time. Just keep your money and passport in a pouch with a string around your neck underneath your clothes if you want to play it safe.

good advice. or, leave your passport in the safe at the hotel and carry a copy for identification purposes.

You're right, that's probably better if you're in Europe. But when I travel in third-world countries and/or stay in dodgy ho(s)tels, I prefer to keep it on me.

Just keep your money and passport in a pouch with a string around your neck underneath your clothes if you want to play it safe.

but how am i supossed to get my passport atari?!

thanks for the response. pretty commsense sense things, but I guess I will always be a tourists because beacuse I look at EVERYTHING. I guess I have this fantasy of being mistaken as french, or european when abroad, it hasn't happened yet.

thanks for the tip! when i travel to china, asia countries where pick pockets are high, i bascially bring a fake wallet and put in on my ass pocket.. so when they steal it (whcih they do every time) they get a empty wallet that has toilet paper in it.

anyways.. i've done a bit of reading, and now i have 2 places decided, Amsterdam and Germany for sure (wanna visit the BMW factory and nubuierg ring) .. just need more ideas on one more place to go + what to do during my week and a half triP!

The BMW factory in Munchen is one of the few places I have been in germany. It's pretty cool if your a big european car nerd (which I was at the time). I also heard the re-did the museum? the architecture of the facotry is probably the coolest part, but if you have been in other factories, car or otherwise, then it might not be that exciting.

I'm sorry.

To each his own, but when You have the length and breadth of Europe with all its history, culture, people and style to discover and you choose to go visit a car factory I have to admit to wondering what's up.

fixed your English . . .

hey, i don't like cars, either, but i think a visit to the BMW factory sounds pretty unique. i say go for it.

thanks, I personally own a BMW, and i've heard the bmw factory is a great tour to go to.

I am currently reading about amsterdam, and I think i have pretty good idea as to what to do. As with Germany, i still do not know where else/what to do besides the BMW factory and nubierg ring..

How about Switerzerland? Any advice on it?

I am currently reading about amsterdam, and I think i have pretty good idea as to what to do. As with Germany, i still do not know where else/what to do besides the BMW factory and nubierg ring..

If you can't figure out what to do in the ENTIRE country of Germany besides going to a factory and a racetrack then maybe you should just stay home. Seriously man, buy a Lonelyplanet Europe guide and do some research.