vacation advice superthread

eric2019

I am an american college student who is unexpectedly taking a gap year between freshman and sophmore year, (I am 20). Basically I have 8 months to do whatever, 3 or 4 of which I will probably use working. But I want to have fun, see the world, have sex with foreign women, do things I won't ever be able to do again until retirement. So does anyone have any ideas or specific places and things to do? Also, where and what types of places to stay, and how to get around would be appreciated. Oh, and I will be alone.

I am thinking about: South Africa, Thailand, UK, Ireland, Amsterdam, Egypt, Dubai (probably can't afford), Australia... But I am open to almost anything that would be fun to a single 20year old american man with a lust for life and getting in trouble.

I'm planning on roadtripping through Europe next summer but I've got absolutely no idea where to start. I've already saved up $10,000 which hopefully should cover most of it. I've got some destinations in mind but I don't know whether it's better to buy an old van or rent one to drive around.

Anybody done this before?

I was thinking of that also (between high school and college) but I think if I ever do that, it'll be between College and grad school.

Anyways, go to a third world country or something. Or maybe somewhere in south america or africa. Or at least somewhere where people don't usually go for vacation.

fuk dat shit mang, my dad back in 04 rented an rv in germany to go road tripping from frankfurt to bodenheim, let me tell you one thing i was fuking pissing my pants, roads are so dam narrow. i swear my dad is hardheaded it would have been more fun with a sedan. then there was this one time where we went to italy and we got lost so this dude on a scooter says he'll show us the way so we follow him and pretty soon hes taking us through alleyways and small nieghbodyhood roads and shit, shit seemed suspicious so we just went the other way. finds out, he was taking us in the opposite direction. motherfuck

fuk dat shit mang, my dad back in 04 rented an rv in germany to go road tripping from frankfurt to bodenheim, let me tell you one thing i was fuking pissing my pants, roads are so dam narrow. i swear my dad is hardheaded it would have been more fun with a sedan. then there was this one time where we went to italy and we got lost so this dude on a scooter says he'll show us the way so we follow him and pretty soon hes taking us through alleyways and small nieghbodyhood roads and shit, shit seemed suspicious so we just went the other way. finds out, he was taking us in the opposite direction. motherfuck

Serge, there are several threads on European tours in superjetset with lots of info on destinations and such.

I know many people (usually wind/kitesurfers) who have toured through Europe in a van. European highways/main roads (at least in western Europe) are perfect. And rent/buy a GPS system if you don't want to get lost like soraanaam. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

By the way, I don't know the situation in Canada, but European gas prices are high. Then again, everything is expensive with the current €/$ rate.

Serge, there are several threads on European tours in superjetset with lots of info on destinations and such.

I know many people (usually wind/kitesurfers) who have toured through Europe in a van. European highways/main roads (at least in western Europe) are perfect. And rent/buy a GPS system if you don't want to get lost like soraanaam. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

By the way, I don't know the situation in Canada, but European gas prices are high. Then again, everything is expensive with the current €/$ rate.

hmm.. .. yeah. i was thinking of doing a trip sometimes early 08.

i have a car already in europ though, and i wouldnt want to tour it in a rental car. they are normally in shitty condition and dirty as fuck. even the new ones, as the companies only keep fleets 6months then sell, so i guess they dont even bother to clean them before the day before the auction.

also, you gotta think about fuel economy over here. we dont have redneck fuel tax subsedies like in the us. price per litre in the uk just broke the $2 mark.

also driving in some citys is a nightmare...i hope your a very compitent driver and handle stress well.. :D

the money you might save on buying a shitty car will probably be lost on the shitty mpg you'll get. get a 2nd hand bmw 320d, will be a joy to drive and be decent on economy. if you have the time at the end of your trip you could get a good return on it anyway.

t

hmm.. .. yeah. i was thinking of doing a trip sometimes early 08.

i have a car already in europ though, and i wouldnt want to tour it in a rental car. they are normally in shitty condition and dirty as fuck. even the new ones, as the companies only keep fleets 6months then sell, so i guess they dont even bother to clean them before the day before the auction.

also, you gotta think about fuel economy over here. we dont have redneck fuel tax subsedies like in the us. price per litre in the uk just broke the $2 mark.

also driving in some citys is a nightmare...i hope your a very compitent driver and handle stress well.. :D

the money you might save on buying a shitty car will probably be lost on the shitty mpg you'll get. get a 2nd hand bmw 320d, will be a joy to drive and be decent on economy. if you have the time at the end of your trip you could get a good return on it anyway.

t

so im dead set on going to these places in may or early june. I dont know why, i should probably go to some other touristy area...but i really want to go to these places.

if anyone can give me some advice, some tips of places to visit. also im thinking of going to norway as well...or is that just going to be way to expensive.

if there is any good night life anywhere? good looking lasses? neat things to see?

let me know

I have been to neither country/island, but as no one else replys..

I know Reykavik is supposed to have a nice night life, but imo the point of going to Färöarna och Iceland is for the nature! And I guess you´d get the best info about that from tourist sites..

The north alantic islands seems to have so amazing nature..

well im really going to see stuff cool stuff, and i plan on doing some biking aound on the faroe islands. I did a report on the faroe islands in grade 5 and i have always wanted to go there.

im going to be flying into olso, so im probably going to get all my partying out in and around stocklhom and .I i extended the trip by a week.

so me and two friends want to go on an international trip somewhere in november somewhere. but we arnt quite sure where to go?....somewhere tropical or hot would be perfect. we are located in the virginia / north carolina area. we dont mind spending around 800 bucks to fly somewhere, but we want wherever we go to be really inexpensive, so we can stay at a fairly nice place for super cheap and just have loads of fun, and live like kings for fairly cheap. any help would amazing. thanks!