vacation advice superthread

eric2019

I always think summer=beach.

NYC is a little hot and miserable in the summer.

I'd say Barcelona (for nightlife + beach) or Portugal (Lisbon? I never been but people swear its amazing.)

I liked Southern France too.

Personally I'd wait NYC in the fall or spring and hit up the beach while u can.

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

NYC is terrible in the summer. How about the ABC islands (Aruba, Barbados, Curacao) ? Those are the three places that won't be having hurricanes down there. Weather is fabulous, but nightlife is lacking. Beaches are also gorgeous.

Quote:

NYC is terrible in the summer. How about the ABC islands (Aruba, Barbados, Curacao) ? Those are the three places that won't be having hurricanes down there. Weather is fabulous, but nightlife is lacking. Beaches are also gorgeous.

--- Original message by cchen on Jan 11, 2006 01:26 AM

Curacao is getting worse every year. Used to go there often but poverty and crime are getting severe. Aruba is too touristy for my taste. Bonaire (not Barbados!) is a lovely quiet island. Even though you can pretty much forget about clubbing and shopping, but a stop-over in Miami could solve that problem. :)

Another option: Indonesia. Spend a week in a cabbin on one of the countless Indonesian islands and take a few days to explore Jakarta. Highly underestimated metropole.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

hey,

what about trip to Turkeys best beaches and sea - Cesme, Izmir ?

one of the best windsurf paradise!

you can have happy hours with your frozen drink chill and dance on the beach!

At night have bars and nightclubs...

for more info and pics you can google ;)

i think barcelona would be great too ..sitches beach is nice i heard..

have a nice timee

bething*

did the southeast asia thing a few years ago.

shopping in thailand is playing russian roullete with 5 bullets as everything is fake, same in cambodia. leave that for HK.

http://www.lifefantastic.org/travel my travel journal

check the beaches in thailand, ko sok national park is amazing. i dont care for too much of northern thailand, southern is where i loved it the most, everyone and eveything there is amazing.

cambodia, take the bus overland from thailand, it will be the most uncomfortable 12-14 hour ride ever over the worst roads, but you wont regret it, that's one of the most amazing parts of my entire 3 month trip. even more so than actually seeing the angkor temples. also remember to hang out with the locals (we hung out with the owners of the guesthouses a lot) they will show you an unbelievable time!

have fun and take pics..i need something to look forward to

tons of stuff for sale now on ebay: corpus, Rag & Bone, Helmut Lang, levi's premium, Gap, vintage etc.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

Summer of 06 the spot to go is Deutschland for the WC. The place to be in the world on the days surrounding July 9th will be Berlin. Obviously not too exotic if that's what you're looking for, but the WC back in Europe - come on. But, if you're confind to August & don't mind skipping the shops for once, check out Croatia. Specifically, Split, Dubrovnik and the surrounding isles. peace

fuckin' right i'm a doctor

"is there likely to be any sales in any of these places in mid-end of june?"

it is just a beginning of sales season in HK with up to 50% discounts or less. Knock-off sales take off in July. Depending on what brands / styles you prefer, I could give places where to look for it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Im going to Japan witha school trip this summer and will be spending a couple days in Tokyo, two weeks with a homestay in Tokushima, and then I'll be in Kyoto, Osaka and Nara for a couple days. Any advice about stores, restaurants meseums anything would be great. And also do you think i should by a camera once im there or before i go, either way if u have oen to recomend let me know.

Kyoto is a beautiful city, filled with amazing gardens and temples. There are to many to name all of the good ones, but my favourites are the various sand gardens of the Daitokuiji temple complex. There are maybe 20 or 30, although usually only 10 or so are open on the same day. A great variety of amazing sand gardens.

The other thing I always do in Kyoto is geisha hunt around Pontocho.

I live in tokyo, but its hard to recommend any one thing, there's stuff to do everywhere.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\||||||||||

in kyoto you have to go to the mall at the station.. the stairs go on for daays. but as far as sight seeing goes, when i went, out of my whole trip my favorite sight seeing spot was in kyoto at Kiyomizu http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3901.html it's hella nice and the little shops are hecka cool. get matcha pudding that shit is bomb but my friend and i didn't get a chance to buy more of it :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Montreal

Okay, I lied. I've been to England twice, but I was 8 and 12 years of age.

I'm flying into London-Gatwick on Monday (not tommorow.. next monday). From London, I have to go to Lincolnshire to visit some family. Very small town, with very boring people, but it being the World Cup, pretty much anywhere in Europe is going to be live. Regardless, I'm not too keen on spending more than 2 days there. From Lincoln, I am clueless as to where to travel. I will be in Europe for 9 or 10 days, so this really limits me to France/Spain. I will be travelling with my brother who is a professional accountant by trade so Amsterdam/smoking weed/doing drugs is out of the question.

My question to you guys familiar with Europe is.. what do you suggest I do? Of course I will be doing a little bit of shopping, but the purpose of this trip is to get away from reality for a week and spend some quality time with my older brother. I am kind of set on going to Paris for at least a day, but from there, I am entirely clueless. I know that there are some discount airlines in Europe, so getting around isn't difficult. It's just a matter of where to go.

Suggestions?