best way to shrink jeans

jermzkill

I think once they've shrunk, they've shrunk. It will doubtless vary to some extent, because sources of cotton vary; but after soaking my natural indigo 1880s LVC twice, plus one wash, I still needed more shrinkage. Washed at 90 degrees Celsius (nearly boiling); no effect whatsoever.

I agree with setterman's opinion that agitation makes as significant a difference as temperature alone - but once they're done, and in my experience that's after around 4 wash/soaks, they're done.

Edited by Paul T

putting into consideration factors that affect amount of shrinkage, such as: kind of cotton used, thighness &/or type of weave, finishing process [eg, degree of sanforization], etc__ 'agree, the 4th wash would've taken care of whatever residual shrinkage [still] left.

goes w/o saying that even though "absolute" shrinkage was met, the denim will remain in perpetual flux__ shrinking, from wash&dry as the yarns pull together [weave tightens] & reset to normal w/o applied tension__ then, stretching out [on certain areas, like the waistband] as the tension is re-introduced from of wear.

IMO, "worn in" is a condition or stage in the jeans' evolution wherein the fabric had really softened up = rendered more pliant [ei, less resistant to pressure] = greater fluctuation [between shrink vs stretch]. i know some will disagree, but [@that stage] even the thighs stretch ... to a certain minimal degree, of course.