best way to shrink jeans

jermzkill

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently lost some weight and my waist is way too large on my true religions. Do you think that these jeans (which ive had for about 5 months now) will shrink at all if I soak in hot water and dry?

-Dan

I've recently lost some weight and my waist is way too large on my true religions. Do you think that these jeans (which ive had for about 5 months now) will shrink at all if I soak in hot water and dry?

-Dan

They'll go back to their original size at best.

'sigh'...

i was afraid of that...

well, i suppose it provides me with a legitimate excuse to buy another pair!

-Dan

'sigh'...

i was afraid of that...

well, i suppose it provides me with a legitimate excuse to buy another pair!

-Dan

Its a good chance to stop wearing true religion and read around this board some more :P

• 3 months later...

This is a bit extreame but, i have a pari of crappy work jeans that are 2 sizes too big, so i soaked them in BOILING water, the dye grained alot but didnt change the colour of the jean for some reason. Any initially they shrunk 2 inch at the waist, then after wearing them for a while they went back to 1 inch below their original size. I reckon if i do it more it could shrink more, but i'll only do it with crap jeans.

according to what many here have said, they will probably continue to shrink, albeit slightly, for the next 8 or 9 soaks/washes

but then again if you're wearing them a lot between soaks the shrinking should cancel out to a certain extent...hence the 2" loss + 1" gain post wearing

i am personally a fan of quick cold soaking to remove starch/moUlding to shape/setting combs, wearing for a week or two, then giving a looooong hot soak to sure up the fit.

neither soak with much agitation at all.

• 4 weeks later...

i've had good luck with a series of warm to hot shrinks. the first one (warm, fairly short) gets rid of the starch and does a lot of the shrinking. after drying, the second one (hot and long) gets rid of even more starch and shrinks a little further. by the third (also hot and long), the starch is gone, but you can still get a small amount of shrinkage. worked well for my 0500's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so after a 4 hour long hot soak, should i:

chuck them into a dryer until they are dry?

chuck them into a dryer until they are half dry and wear the damp jeans?

hang them up and air dry them?

hang them up and air dry them till they are half dry and wear the damp jeans?

wear the soaking wet jeans until they are dry?

im looking for maximum shrinkage and minimum colour loss

thanks!

• 1 month later...

ive had my skulls for about a month now and have been wearing them just about everyday so they have some fades/combs. would soaking them at this point be detrimental at all? if not, i wanna shrink the inseam so they aren't too long. would i turn them inside out and hot soak them for four hours?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up some LVC 1947 deadstocks in 36 x 34, hoping it would shrink to fit properly. After the warm soak and hang dryed, it was still too damn big. I then hot soaked them for 4 hours and timed dried them for 50 minutes on hot in my dryer. That gave me the shrinkage I was looking for. Not it's fitting my normally 32-33 waist and the 34 length shrinked to 31.

How would boiling water affect the jeans?

I have a pair of LVC 501 '55 size 36/36 which is like 3" too big in bog inseam and waist, so I am looking for maximal shrinkage. Therefore I was thinking that one of you guys would know what to do?

I was thinking about an initial short soak in medium hot water to get the first amount of starch out and then a 4 hour soak using hot tab water and adding some boiling water with a grand finale of an hour in the dryer... Would that totally ruin them?

Cheers

all from my experiences...

i have a Edwin Blue trip jeans made in japan. They are 32" but fit like 33.5"

it just too big for me without belt. Should i sell them or try to soak them.t hx

i kinda had the same problem with my pair of blue trips. mine have been sitting in my closet. since they were one wash i tried to soak them in boiling water but it didnt really get any additional shrinking out of them. i might try a hot wash and dryer and see if they get to tag measurement.

ive had my skulls for about a month now and have been wearing them just about everyday so they have some fades/combs. would soaking them at this point be detrimental at all? if not, i wanna shrink the inseam so they aren't too long. would i turn them inside out and hot soak them for four hours?

are they raw? if so they will shift your combs and fades maybe to the point where they will look funny.

I don't have a tub, unfortunately - my roomate got that bathroom.

How ridiculous would it be to stuff my jeans in a pot and boil them for awhile?

well it would probably be kinda extreme, if you have a bucket or other container and could just add boiling water to it, then it can sit in it vs. constantly cooking them. i guess after thinking about it its all pretty much the same, just visually in my head it seems sorta extreme

Just to clarify, since hot soaking raw jeans will get rid of the starch, will they lose the stiffness of rigid denim after the hot soak? I'm guessing they do, and is so i'm guessing I just have to spray some starch on to get back the stiffness?

it wont get rid of all the stiffness, but it will get rid of a lot of it.

Just got a pair of sugarcane 47 onewash. Are these 100% shrunk or will there be more shrinkage left in them ? Could do with losing half an inch width ways on the thigh and an inch length in the leg.

they are pretty much done shrinking. you might be able to get half an inch more, but for the most part they are done shrinking.

How would boiling water affect the jeans?

I have a pair of LVC 501 '55 size 36/36 which is like 3" too big in bog inseam and waist, so I am looking for maximal shrinkage. Therefore I was thinking that one of you guys would know what to do?

I was thinking about an initial short soak in medium hot water to get the first amount of starch out and then a 4 hour soak using hot tab water and adding some boiling water with a grand finale of an hour in the dryer... Would that totally ruin them?

Cheers

hot soak then hot wash then dryer will get the majority of the shrinking out of the way