Head Porter

DJ2xTech

Yes, there are fakes of Porter and Head Porter...the fakes are from either China or Korea.....how to tell? Well, the fabric is a good guide (for the tanker series which seems to be most faked)....authenticity cards are easily faked so that is no really a true indication of authenticity (see the number of fake Gucci, Dior, Fendi etc. bags on ebay that are less that $100 but come with an authenticity card plus the necessary holograms on the tags, card etc....)....its all fakeable so be aware....best bet is probably a hook-up/pick-up from Japan or from the store in New York (above Stussy if I remember correctly).....here is a link to Porter stuff online...have used them in the past and they are reliable:

http://ace-company.net/~coolcat/index2.htm

Note, this is Porter and not Head Porter...there is also Porter International....this if I remembered correctly is a brand that registered itself in Taiwan and has "inspired" Yoshida & Co. designs.....the actual status of this has been debated extensively before on another forum:

http://www.frontallabs.com/nfrontal/web/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15384

Decide for yourself:

http://www.ll-porter.com/home.htm

I have a number of Porter and Head Porter items. Head Porter does feel much better to the touch in terms of quality (for the Tanker series which is really the only one that I have bought) but workmanship is just as good for both....however, the outer tags are the same and it is only on the inside that there is a "head Porter" tag.....both use YKK zips as well....

My personal view is just stick to Porter and Head Porter....Porter International is just as expensive but a little dubious since it is made in Taiwan and not Japan...interesting fact, iit is indeed a great privilege for those Japanese interested in becoming apprentices at the Porter factory.....also, you can actually order/customize a bag of a specific design and they will make it for you...but of course there is a waiting list and this applies for Poster products only....

Edited by rakis on Apr 9, 2006 at 12:10 PM

• 1 year later...
FYI - Avoid the ebay seller who goes under the name easybuy-us. He also operates as easybuy-au Just had a bad experience with this asshole where he sold me a fake Head-Porter bag. When it showed up it was a cheap piece of shit which looked like it would fall apart in a month. All the stiching was crooked and the fabric was cheap and nasty. Now I own a real Porter I'm disgusted that people are out there slinging this junk and claiming it's 100% legit. His stuff is cheaper than real Porter and maybe people buy it just so they can be seen with a label, but don't get ripped off like I did. The stuff isn't worth shit. Real Porter is really nicely made and will last a very long time. With shipping you'll end up spending nearly $100 with this jerk so you might as well save up for the real deal right?

you are one annoying-ass n00b

FYI - Avoid the ebay seller who goes under the name easybuy-us. He also operates as easybuy-au Just had a bad experience with this asshole where he sold me a fake Head-Porter bag. When it showed up it was a cheap piece of shit which looked like it would fall apart in a month. All the stiching was crooked and the fabric was cheap and nasty. Now I own a real Porter I'm disgusted that people are out there slinging this junk and claiming it's 100% legit. His stuff is cheaper than real Porter and maybe people buy it just so they can be seen with a label, but don't get ripped off like I did. The stuff isn't worth shit. Real Porter is really nicely made and will last a very long time. With shipping you'll end up spending nearly $100 with this jerk so you might as well save up for the real deal right?

Oh wow good to kno...

FIVE MONTHS LATER!

Is porter even worth it? I was about to drop 300+ for a laptop 3way bag but....is the quality really that great compared to say...samsonite or other "lower end" brands?

status symbol?

i bet a tumi laptop bag would be a better investment with regards to quality and functionality.

i dunno

status symbol?

i bet a tumi laptop bag would be a better investment with regards to quality and functionality.

i dunno

Yeah, I s/t's wonder why Tumi gets no love...too generic and not 'nuff status envy, I guess.

But Tumi's shit are built like tanks... I had a Tumi messenger bag in college, and I logged that bitch around like it was a 2 dollar whore, and even to this day it looks and feels basically 96% like new.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i messaged the seller asking if authentic and he replied back "yes it's authentic! porter tokyo!" if that means anything

buy/no buy? i've been looking for a proper little bag of that size for a while

dont do it...

• 6 months later...

Head Porter x Buzz Rickson x William Gibson Bags

Head Porter, Japan's most famous bag company comes together with Buzz Rickson (Sugar Cane) and William Gibson to bring us this new collection of bags. This may be Head Porter's most ambitious project yet...

The fabrics used for the collection is nylon originally developed for military bulletproof vests, which is 5 times stronger

than regular nylon fabric, and genuine horse leather made for Buzz Rickson's A-2 jackets.

Both bags come with a Porter MAG light as a zipper pull, various inner hidden pockets, gusseted outer pockets, removable shoulder straps, and more.

You can't ask for a better built or more well designed bag from any company.

There is also a William Gibson party coming up at Self Edge on November 9th with the man himself, more information to follow.

Both the shoulder bag and the laptop bag (book bag) are now available in-store and via the online store in extremely limited quantities. Check the online store for more photos and specs on the bags:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78

laptop_01_web-730616.jpg

hip_01_web-798163.jpg

hip_04_web-798329.jpg

laptop_02_web-761923.jpg

laptop_03_web-761940.jpg

hip_05_web-730597.jpg

laptop_05_web-771472.jpg

laptop_07_web-742917.jpg