recommendations for luggage?

norcal

I buy the $15-25 suitcases with wheels/pull-out handle at my local discount luggage store (they are everywhere!!). I travel a ton, have several of these, and have never had one break....I mean, is it really worth it to drop so much money on a piece of luggage that it is worth more than the shit in side? You put it under a plane, and you don't see it for 10 hours, then you unpack it........keep your money, buy something affordable.

Quote:

I buy the $15-25 suitcases with wheels/pull-out handle at my local discount luggage store (they are everywhere!!). I travel a ton, have several of these, and have never had one break....I mean, is it really worth it to drop so much money on a piece of luggage that it is worth more than the shit in side? You put it under a plane, and you don't see it for 10 hours, then you unpack it........keep your money, buy something affordable.

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Apr 7, 2006 10:44 AM

I do agree with that, but using that type of logic you can discredit anything. Why not get a pair of $30 Levis? They will last forever, good quality etc...

And I can definatley see some luggage guys deliberatley being rough with some LV monogrammed luggae (assuming they know what it is)

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Apr 7, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Quote: I do agree with that, but using that type of logic you can discredit anything. Why not get a pair of $30 Levis? They will last forever, good quality etc...

And I can definatley see some luggage guys deliberatley being rough with some LV monogrammed luggae (assuming they know what it is)

Nah, you can't really use the same logic because:

a.) you don't wear luggage

b.) 50% of the time, your luggage is in someone elses hands; how pissed off would you be if your $600 Tumi leather suitcase had a big-ass scuff across it, they certainly aren't going to reimburse you. I wouldn't even use this argument for purses/handbags, etc. Only luggage, because it is rarely used and out of your posession often.......

Quote:
Quote: I do agree with that, but using that type of logic you can discredit anything. Why not get a pair of $30 Levis? They will last forever, good quality etc...

Nah, you can't really use the same logic because:

a.) you don't wear luggage

b.) 50% of the time, your luggage is in someone elses hands; how pissed off would you be if your $600 Tumi leather suitcase had a big-ass scuff across it, they certainly aren't going to reimburse you. I wouldn't even use this argument for purses/handbags, etc. Only luggage, because it is rarely used and out of your posession often.......

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Apr 7, 2006 11:50 AM

Very true, but I guess what I'm saying is some people are concerned about having nice jeans because they are stylish, and the same can be said for luggage.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

there may be some value in inexpensive luggage in a disposable sense, but I'd prefer to simply have luggage that isn't gonna break on me. Now certainly all luggage can and will break at some point but I'd like to prolong the periods between buying luggage as long as possible. I generally only travel with garment bags which seem to hold up pretty well in general, so hopefully my two tumi bags will last a long time.

well he did ask for a carry-on luggage, so the luggage he buys is going to be in his hands most of the time. i think having a well-built piece of luggage is important- i have gone through a bunch of cheap luggages that have fallen apart on me and its VERY inconvenient when one falls apart while you're trying to get somewhere on a time schedule... however they are fine if you're just trying to get all your purchases home or something.

so if you travel a lot and are buying a carry-on, invest in a good one!

i always wanted to get something mandarina duck- they have less of a business look - stuff is pretty expensive too though.