Fat Boy (size 38) world tour?

setterman

Spaghetti brought this up in the small questions thread, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while, so I figured I start a thread to see if there's enough interest, and get some feedback and ideas. Looking to start a world tour for guys in the size 38 waist range. Personally I'd like to see an off the shelf brand or model chosen, that doesn't get a lot of love here. I'm thinking Oni Blue, PBJ XX-009, Takumi Vintage Cut. A Lee or Wrangler cut would be cool, but the size 40 Samurai S0210XJ looks too narrow in the thighs for myself. Or, we could just do something simple like a Sugar Cane 1966.

So, anyone who might be interested in joining the tour and/or has any ideas for it, please chime in.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round up 12 guys, pick a pair of jeans, each guy wears them for a month while keeping photo journal of what he's been doing while wearing the jeans. I don't know how you work out the purchase of the jeans or where they go when done, but we can figure that out as we're deciding on a pair of jeans. If we can't find 12 guys, I figure we can at least come up with six and each participant can wear them for two months.

I'm down as well - I'm a 36 normally but I'd go 38 for more vintage fit..

I just tried on the Sam S0210XJ in 36, and they were a bit tight in the thighs.

Of everything I touched in BIG last weekend, the Sam earth model impressed me the most. Denim is dark as night - unreal.

How do the specs on those jive with you setterman? Tough to find a model with a bigger thigh than 14.25....

And don't call us fat because we're not waif asian boys (sufu asthetic). Prefer Husky, big boned, or pleasantly plump:)

I'm down as well - I'm a 36 normally but I'd go 38 for more vintage fit..

I just tried on the Sam S0210XJ in 36, and they were a bit tight in the thighs.

Of everything I touched in BIG last weekend, the Sam earth model impressed me the most. Denim is dark as night - unreal.

How do the specs on those jive with you setterman? Tough to find a model with a bigger thigh than 14.25....

And don't call us fat because we're not waif asian boys (sufu asthetic). Prefer Husky, big boned, or pleasantly plump:)

I like the line from South Park, "I'm not fat, I have a different life choice"!

Yeah, the thighs can be tough. That's sorta why I was looking at the XX-009, it's a relaxed/"50s" cut that should have enough room for the biggest guys without looking sloppy on the smaller guys.

I'm super hung over right now, but later today I'm going to take some measurements of some of my jeans (to see what is the smallest I can go in certain areas) and then after the holiday I'll speak with Gordon and get his thoughts on what might be a good all around model for the bigger guys. Hopefully Kiya sees this thread and chimes in with some thoughts. If not, I'll give Self Edge a ring too.

im super down. i got a pair of edwins and prps sitting around tryna sell we could use one of those. ha!

what is everyone thinking of?

what model are the edwins? I'm not familiar with that brand other than what is sold at cultizm.com

they are the sen selvage ones. so slim fit. they are pretty nice. very lightweight so great summer jean. i can put up measurements later.

Please post measurements when you have a chance.

Got some very good ideas from Kiya. Real Japan Blues 105BSP available in size 38. And Strike Gold 1101, currently available in size 40. I really like the idea of the 105BSP.

Looks like right now we've got 5 guys. Hopefully a few more hop in here over the next couple days, we can get a model nailed down by the end of next week, a batting order set up, and get this thing under way.

what jean would we do?

Unfortunately, Panda's Edwin's wouldn't work for me at all (thanks for posting the measurements Panda).

I'm liking Kiya's suggestion of the RJB 105BPS.

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=394

It will probably have a little less rise and thigh than I like, but it's a classic cut with some neat details and I figure we should all be able to wear it pretty comfortably. Plus I have no experience with RJB's denim, so it will be something completely new for me.

Right now the list of guys saying their in:

setterman (who'd like however much is left of July, and all of August for his tour dates)

blm14

morse9443

raspberries

PandaXS

I've emailed a guy I know from the Full Count contest that I think might be interested, and need to get ahold of another. Would like to have at least 8 guys in the tour. I'm waiting to get ahold of Gordon at BiG after the holiday, and see if he has any suggestions for a model. But, if the five of us who are currently interested want to go ahead with the RJB, I could just go ahead and get the ball rolling on them.

Regardless of model, what are you guys thinking about inseam length? I think hemmed so that they give a post shrinkage length of 34" should be good. Shorter guys got room to cuff, taller guys should have enough length to leave 'em uncuffed.

Called BiG but I think they're closed today, so I shot Gordon an email asking if he had any suggestions. If I don't hear back from him today, hopefully I will first thing tomorrow.

Would like to get a pair of jeans in my hands by Thursday so I can get them shrunk, dried, and ready for an event on Friday at a local hotel that dates back to 1885. If anyone sees anything at BiG they want to suggest we go with, please speak up now.

If I don't hear back from Gordon, or no one has any suggestions, I will order the RJB 105BSP from Self Edge by the end of the day tomorrow.

Oh, and anyone have any suggestions for the tour name?

RJB 105BPS is looking good - like the arcs and detailing.

No 'big is beautiful' bs:)....don't consider myself exactly 'plus size'...

Looks like we may not need a hem either, we can all cuff to desired length.

Fat Boy 2K10 tour? Might be a funny name, but let's not stereotype ourselves with all food tour pics;)

What's next?

Edit, my only request might be the month of September, so I can start destroying my contest Eternals on 10/10/10....

I won't be able to take part in this tour but if i may say something..

It'd be nice to see the name not reference anything "big" or "fat".

Kiya we'd love a suggestion. (kidding with fat boy tour of course). Ideas anyone? Maybe leave the size thing out of it and go with RJB 105BPS Tour or something...

If we can finalize a name and get around 10 guys committed, we're looking at just north of $30 a head to get started..

Kiya has offered us an excellent price on the jeans (thanks Kiya!), so I'll cover it all myself.

Denim Sailor and Marvelous1200, there's still room and you're more than welcome. If we wind up with more than 12 guys, we'll run the tour longer than 12 months. My only requests of participants are updates at least once a week, and when your time is up you express/overnight the jeans to the next guy. No screwing around!

If we can't come up with anything fancy, "Real Japan Blues 105BPS World Tour" will have to do. And I promise not to post a lot of food pix! Have just three planned... my birthday next Monday, and a couple hot dog and ice cream joints that are local icons.

If I don't hear any differently, I will be ordering the jeans tomorrow by noon. I know your standard shipping is free Kiya, but if you have overnight I will pay for it. I want to be sure they're here by Thursday.

Start reserving your tour dates guys. I'm taking what's left of July and all of August (I'm jizzy like that), Morse wants September, and Panda wants December.

Just to give you guys some ideas

other words for big

ample, awash, barn door, brimming, bulky, bull*, burly, capacious, chock-full*, colossal, commodious, considerable, copious, crowded, enormous, extensive, fat, full, gigantic, heavy duty, heavyweight, hefty, huge, hulking, humungous, husky, immense, jumbo, king sized, mammoth, massive, monster*, mungo, oversize, packed, ponderous, prodigious, roomy, sizable, spacious, strapping, stuffed, substantial, super colossal*, thundering, vast, voluminous, walloping, whopper, whopping

After thinking about the whopper thing I decided you guys should be The Thunder Man Tour