Carl i really dig your firemen series. the WAYWT shot may be funny (whether stupid or inspired) but these make your foray worthwhile.

the composition of the first shot is lovely, but my favourite is probably the second. the shadow cast by the helmet, the scuffs and dirt on the yellow both lend the photo a tremendous sense of weariness. really emotive stuff.

Didn't click on this thread until Carl's firemen photo prompted me to do so.

There's some great stuff here. I'm not much of a photographer- I just use a point and click. But every now and then I get a lucky shot. Here are a few that were easy to post. Maybe some more later...

Brooklyn Botanic Gardens

87545081_9154502202.jpg

140145639_8f78d4df3e.jpg

Hvar, Croatia

45568234_b7ab593f98.jpg

Rockin your ass off

31508966_5fd05e9d2f.jpg

It's a hobby so nothing lucrative or commercial in mind. A weekend warrior so to speak, as per one of my favorite photographers, Ralph Eugene Meatyard.

But if I were to pursue a commercial path, I'd be like Guy Bourdin, difficult and disturbing. I'd probably be financially insolvent but aesthetics is too personal an ideal to betray.

guy_bourdin_jacques_05.jpg

yo carl, you mentioned toning in CS1. What exactly do you mean? Levels/curves? or something else. Just wanna know how you made your colors look like slide film

Proper technical photography goes along way in the start of having a well toned photo. Knowing to underexpose your photos by at least a full stop to saturate color and to help to create a true black is important.

I shoot all my photos in Raw so they have a larger latitude of range to tone.

As far as toning itself goes, I select a black first (done by using curves and the black dropper tool) in the darkest area of the photo, usually a shadow. I then use curves (levels is inferior in that it takes away information from your photo) and history brush. I usually select small sections of the photo to "work up" which contributes to the over all product. In the history brush i set both my opacity and flow to under 65%. Toning a photo is like cooking, slow and steady always tastes better then quick and hasty.

It takes practice and working on alot of photos before you're able to tone well.