ok so, really starting to think about college and my portfolio (for next year's application process) , need 10-12 minimum of my best work to date, 10 of those must be prints. another school I'm looking at is looking for 6 of my best and 6 on a theme. my newest two photos are themed and was wondering if anyone thinks I should run with it or if they have any suggestions for a new theme. think my work so far is decent and all but would very much like the opportunity to receive critique and criticism from this community.

my flickr is https://www.flickr.com/photos/riverwoelfle/ where you will find my best work to date and the themed photographs I mentioned.

cdg- I honestly like your smoking pictures the most. Unfortunately, I don't know how well received they will be by admissions.

I don't feel like you need a theme and I'm not going to suggest one for you as I think you should shoot what inspires you. What do you truly enjoy shooting? How could you compose an image with that thing(s)? When shooting, don't limit yourself.

Try and see the beauty in what's around you (as corny as that may sound). Honestly, just get out there and shoot. The way you're going to find what you love is by going out and locating it yourself. You may fall in love with architecture, find portraits are your thing or a mix of this, that and some more. Again, don't limit yourself and keep a few images you love that have been taken recently in a folder. It's better to have more now than less later, that way you can wheedle it down to the ones you really love. And hey, fuck it, those smoking ones are pretty sick. Ask someone that could give some legitimate insight if an admissions officer would look down on em or view it like they should- as art. Good luck dude.

I went for a long walk trying to apply the critique that cdglove had suggested. I don't know man, I have hard time finding subjects I really truly enjoy, (other than my cat). :wacko:  

first pic reminds me of a jeff wall background, in that washed out kinda way. 

Michael. It would have been cool to have a side by side photo of that last one of the bird with your car. Or the first bird one and a close up of his teeth. Or flip that one around to where it looks like teeth and then a cropped picture of a cats head.

Edited by TheCreativeD00m

I love the 20mm 1.7! So small and tack sharp. ^^ I'm trying to make a "dad life" series showing day to day things as well as adventures and life experiences as a dad. I'm thinking I need to leave it in color though. I've got a show in October I still have to get a subject matter for so I've been playing with different subject matter. (It's a show for artists who are also disabled vets)

14344415263_351e9c739e_z.jpg

14323544284_dd27eb61f4_z.jpg

14137677407_44f3708d04_z.jpg

Edited by TheCreativeD00m

^Agreed, simple but very nicely done :)

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but I just bought my first film camera and I'm having a hard time choosing film. I'm planning to shoot colour and I like the look of the provia 400x but realised they're now discontinued. I have a few on order but does anybody here use that film and what kinda film have you moved onto to get a similar look?

<3

It's amazing what you can do with just natural light and a reflector... in this case a window and a stood-up 3-ring binder with some paper in it.

Rirakuma, if you're totally set on the look of 400x, you should just buy as much of it as you can and store it in the fridge. It, along with most slide films at this point, are pretty much on their way out. Provia 100F is still available, but it's getting expensive. There isn't really a directly comparable film that comes to mind that's widely available. I usually just go for Ektar and Portra because it's easy to get.

Can we talk about having a vision, a voice, a consistent design language. I see people's work showcased around my city I find it interesting seeing how photographers approach projects. I guess the same goes for portfolios. I need to get out of this constant cycle of just shooting just to shoot and editing every photo differently.   

^Agreed, simple but very nicely done :)

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but I just bought my first film camera and I'm having a hard time choosing film. I'm planning to shoot colour and I like the look of the provia 400x but realised they're now discontinued. I have a few on order but does anybody here use that film and what kinda film have you moved onto to get a similar look?

just be careful with slide film its a bitch to get developed.