just got a dslr, anybody got suggestions on how i can make my photos turn out better? they are okay but not nearly what i'd like to be able to do.

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread, and I'm going to do it again. Before you worry about new glass, post-processing, etc. buy the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's technically straightforward, and will teach you lots of basic to semi-intermediate ideas about using natural light, composition, exposure, choosing an aperture/shutter speed, etc. High end gear and software is awesome, but you can only do so much with it if you don't have a grasp on the basics.

^Solid advice. Learn about basic photographic terms and concepts, how a camera works and functions, etc before you go out and buy more stuff. Looking at your photos, they don't seem to be too bad, just the products of low light shooting with a kit lens. Maybe use the on-camera flash on lower power to add more light without being too harsh.

The more you learn up, the better you'll be able to identify what you think is wrong with your photos and make adjustments accordingly.

^Solid advice. Learn about basic photographic terms and concepts, how a camera works and functions, etc before you go out and buy more stuff. Looking at your photos, they don't seem to be too bad, just the products of low light shooting with a kit lens. Maybe use the on-camera flash on lower power to add more light without being too harsh.

The more you learn up, the better you'll be able to identify what you think is wrong with your photos and make adjustments accordingly.

thanks everybody. i will check out that book and learn GIMP actions. this is kind of what I was after though, what was actually wrong with the pics i posted and how i can tell whats wrong etc. i'm not trying to learn how to become a pro or anything, i just want to be able to take pics of my friends/family and get my moneys worth out of the camera.

Edited by e0d9n0b5

thanks everybody. i will check out that book and learn GIMP actions. this is kind of what I was after though, what was actually wrong with the pics i posted and how i can tell whats wrong etc. i'm not trying to learn how to become a pro or anything, i just want to be able to take pics of my friends/family and get my moneys worth out of the camera.

To be honest lightroom is probably the easiest to use and has the least learning curve. Unless you wanna do some serious graphic design shit or are planning to use it to add some insane effects on a photo then I would not recommend getting photoshop, even though Gimp is free I believe it takes a while to learn how to use.

The best way to learn how to use the camera is just stick the mode in manual (m) and just shoot and learn how ISO aperture and shutter speed work. Took me less than a week how to learn to shoot in manual. Reading up on it will help but the best way to learn is to just shoot in manual and figure it out yourself.

and pomata do you mean my lens? i just got a nikon d3000 and i'm using the lens that came with it(not the vibration reduction one). if you mean the beer i don't know of a beer better than red seal ale ;)

yes I mean your lens. A good quality lens can do wonders (even on entry-level dslrs) imo.

I was taking for granted you know photography rudiments of course

Edited by pomata